Treating extensive vaulted ceilings

brj

Treating extensive vaulted ceilings
« on: 5 Jul 2007, 08:38 pm »
Hello everyone.

Has anyone looked at Owen's Corning Solserene before?  If so, how effective and expensive is it?  Are there other similar alternatives?

Background:

I was looking at a house the other day that a large vaulted ceiling covering the kitchen, dining room, living room and family room.  There were walls, stairs or other separations between these rooms, but the walls stopped at the standard 8 ft height and all of these rooms were thus open to the vaulted ceiling above.  The ceiling was standard drywall with a "popcorn" finish and followed the sloped roofline (no attic).  As a result of this configuration, the house was extremely "live".  Even if you put a couple of fiberglass or mineral wool acoustic panels on the ceiling over the listening area to control ceiling induced first reflections, I can't see it doing much to control overall decay times due to the sheer expansiveness of the total area covered by the vaulted ceiling.

Thanks for your comments!

MaxCast

Re: Treating extensive vaulted ceilings
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2007, 09:49 pm »
How much more $ is it than regular fg insulation?

brj

Re: Treating extensive vaulted ceilings
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2007, 11:18 pm »
I'm not sure if by "regular fg insulation" you mean OC703, 705, etc. or the rolls of pink fluffy stuff, but no matter what you use, you still need to cover it with something both for appearance and to prevent any loose fibers from floating free.  The only reference I've seen to a price for Solserene was another AC thread that mentioned $2000 for enough material to do a single room.  That priced included no shipping or installation, and it wasn't even clear if that was for the fabric and fiberglass combined, or the fabric and rail-mounting system alone.  (I'm assuming that what they call "acoustic core" is a 1" think fiberglass panel, but I don't know that for certain, much less what density the "acoustic core" material might be.)  Either way, if that number is even in the ballpark, I don't want to know what the installed cost would be to cover the entire living area of a home!