Which version of slim server are you running?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Which version of slim server are you running?
« on: 4 Jul 2007, 07:06 pm »
I am running SlimServer Version: 6.5.0 - 9916 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252 and firmware v64 on the players.

I am thinking of upgrading to the latest versions.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Which version of slim server are you running?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2007, 07:16 pm »
I'm running 6.5.2 (the latest official release, not a nightly) FW 81.
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2007, 11:01 pm by ted_b »

datman

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2007, 10:52 pm »
I am running 6.5.3 on Wondows Vista Ultimate.  It has worked flawlessly since it was first installed.  I am also using Squeezebox quite successfully.

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2007, 10:52 pm »
I'm running 6.5.2 as well. I just upgraded from 6.5.0 a couple of weeks ago when I added a 2TB array to my music server, seemed like a good time to update it. With 6.5.0 my database would often be wrong in that the number of songs in the DB was not usually the same as the number on disk and it seemed to have quite a few dupes, even after telling it to forget everything and re-index. This seems to be working just fine in 6.5.2. Mine shows FW 81 at present.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2007, 11:02 pm »
I'm running 6.5.2 as well. I just upgraded from 6.5.0 a couple of weeks ago when I added a 2TB array to my music server, seemed like a good time to update it. With 6.5.0 my database would often be wrong in that the number of songs in the DB was not usually the same as the number on disk and it seemed to have quite a few dupes, even after telling it to forget everything and re-index. This seems to be working just fine in 6.5.2. Mine shows FW 81 at present.

Mike,

Is FW 81 a nightly build?

I just upgraded to v6.5.2, yet it still shows that I am running FW 64.

George

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2007, 11:08 pm »
George, not that I know of. I completely nuked the old directory after I un-installed 6.5.0 as I wanted to make real sure my DB was going to be rebuilt, so the FW 81 had to have installed with the new copy. Have you pressed/held the brightness control yet?

I just looked in the Firmware directory and the squeezebox2_81.bin file is dated 5/18/07, so it's most definitely not a nightly.

PhilNYC

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2007, 11:25 pm »

Mike,

Is FW 81 a nightly build?

I just upgraded to v6.5.2, yet it still shows that I am running FW 64.

George

Did you do the FW upgrade by holding down the Brightness button?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2007, 03:26 am »
I simply installed as usual, and my player shows FW81.  Did nothing special.

DSK

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2007, 06:26 am »
6.2.1 / FW15 .... yes, just call me 'dinosaur'.  :lol:

I left it at these versions as it has run flawlessly and several people swore that they sounded better than the versions that followed soon after. There was talk on various forums (inc. AC and SlimDevices) about the change in the volume scale etc and about potential fixes. Eventually, the code was patched in an attempt to resolve the issue and improve sound quality again. However, occasionally I scan the forums and even e-mail certain people, to see whether the original people who complained about the drop in quality believe that it is now back to where it was. So far, I have seen nothing conclusive on the forums or via e-mail to say that anyone has rigorously A/B'd the old and new versions and found them to sound the same. As it is still working fine, and it isn't possible to flick a switch back and forth to A/B/A them, I have simply left it alone.

I am probably about to move SlimServer from a dedicated P4 2ghz PC to my main Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz PC on it's own 500gb SATA2 disk, so perhaps I will update the SlimServer software then (and swap speaker cable connections around to maintain phase with the newer versions). SlimServer has such low CPU utilisation when running (a few per cent) that I see no benefit in maintaining a dedicated PC (with associated fan noise, windows updates etc etc) for it. The new (external) SATA2 HDD is connected via eSATA but also has USB2 so I can quickly move my music library across to my wife's laptop if there was ever a PC crash.

1000a

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jul 2007, 04:09 am »
SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 11206 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

player firmware version 72

I have no idea if this is the good one or bad one, I have not gotten into that stuff yet.   I did hear various chatter so I was greatful it sounded good to me and I am afraid to mess with it.  Any ideas is this one up to snuff? :scratch:

thanks in advance

ctviggen

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jul 2007, 08:59 am »
I upgraded to the latest version and now can run SoftSqueeze again.