Summits are here, woo hoo!

TONEPUB

Summits are here, woo hoo!
« on: 4 Jul 2007, 04:54 am »
Well, I liked those Martin Logan Vantages so much, I bought
a pair of Summits.  The Vantages didn't go far, Ken Ball at
ALO bought them, so I didn't even have to ship em back!

Any other ML owners out here?

Let us know what you are running...

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
Re: Summits are here, woo hoo!
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2007, 02:15 pm »
I think the few Summit owners who frequent this forum, also post at the ML Owners site.  Don't know if you'll get any different perspectives here, but I'm curious to see as well.  One important caveat... it really takes 400+ hours for the Summits to FULLY break in... so be patient with the changing sonics over that time frame.

gold

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2007, 03:31 pm »
Send me some links.  I am considering getting a pair of Summits but I am concerned about the woofer integration which was a problem with their older models. 

sleepysurf

• Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society
    • Suncoast Audiophile Society
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2007, 03:56 pm »
Send me some links.  I am considering getting a pair of Summits but I am concerned about the woofer integration which was a problem with their older models. 

IMHO, the Summit integration between woofers and panels is superb.  However, you can custom dial in the woofers up to +/- 10 dB at both 25 and 50 Hz.

Lots of ML discussion/systems at the Martin Logan Owners Club...
http://www.martinloganowners.com

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2007, 04:08 pm »
Having just gone through the break in with the Vantages, The Summits are
acting the same way.  The mid-highs are a little veiled and the bass is a little
slow and whumpy.

Fortunately, my studio is out behind the house, so I can let em play 24/7 till
they have hours racked up!!

I did have the good fortune to hear the local ML reps Summits that are all
broken in and dialed in to a very nice room and associated system.  I've never
been so impressed with a speaker, but you have to understand I've loved panels
all my life, so that is a definite bias and it doesn't mean I don't like/enjoy/appreciate
cone speakers.  It's just that if I had to pick one sound for me personally, I really
like the ML sound, always have.  (owned Aerius and CLS II's in the past)

Per the other post by Gold, the two adjustments at 25 and 50hz do make this
speaker easy to adjust to the room, but importantly, the panel does integrate
with the woofer quite well.

As much as I love these speakers, I would suggest getting a good demo
before you jump off the cliff because I would hate to see anyone have
buyers remorse after spending 10K!

Also, I would suggest good electronics in front of the speakers, because the Summit
and Vantage are extremely revealing of what is associated.  The good news is
as you upgrade the rest of your system, the better it will get!

Good luck on the shopping!

gold

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2007, 05:31 pm »
I agree they aren't cheap.  How much power would be enough in a medium sized room?  Also do ML's work well with a variety of music?  I did hear the Statements years back and they did leave a positive impression.  I don't know if my cones and domes could ever compare to that experience.  Music used was all jazz though.

Philistine

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2007, 09:11 pm »
I believe it was during the summer of 2005 Costco was briefly selling the ML Summits for about $7k, it caused an upset as you can imagine with the retail trade, I wish I'd bought a pair at the time.  Ultimately either: what Costco had in inventory sold, or ML to become involved, as they disappeared within a few days.  It's difficult for the manufacturer to talk up the value after incidents like this, so it might help with the negotiation?

Anyway, I'd love to hear them one day.

NB
At the time I picked this up from the Nextlevel AV forum - if the threads still there it has all the dates and details.

TONEPUB

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2007, 10:13 pm »
The Costco thing was unauthorized, and ML pulled the plug on that in a couple of days.
Unfortunately, anyone who bought those speakers did not get a factory warranty...

The Summits are the same efficiency as the Vantages (I believe...)  I would say from
a lot of experience with ML over the years, the more power the better, but it depends
on your room size and how loud you like to listen.

I'm using mine with a CJ Premier 350 (350 per channel into 8 ohms) and the dynamics
are limitless.  I used the Vantages with the McIntosh MC 275 and that was good, but a
warmer more organic sound.  Getting a second 275 this week, so I'll give em a try
with two as monoblocks.  They worked well with the Manley 250's as well.  At low
volumes, they even did a great job with the Pass Labs F3, but not very loud.

I've noticed with mine, even though they aren't broken in yet, they will play way louder
than I need to listen to music.

Also, I listen to an extremely wide range of music:  rock, classical, jazz, electronic, hip hop
you name it.  I am EXTREMELY pleased with these speakers.  I have probably owned
40-50 different GOOD speakers over the years and for me, these do exactly what I'd like
them to do, no complaints AT ALL.  (that doesn't mean they'll be nirvana for you....)

They are accurate, dynamic and have plenty of resolution.

Definitely worth an audition if you like panels....

flintstone

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2007, 11:59 pm »
Congrats on the new speakers Jeff...they are wonderful speakers that get just about everything right!  :thumb:

Dave

TONEPUB

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2007, 12:19 am »
Flintstone:

Are those Calipers or Scintillas in your room?

Apogees are fantastic speakers, I had a pair of Caliper Signatures
and loved them.  I was going to do the Graz rebuild, but by the time
I got all done it was going to be about 3k...

Ken Kessler said the Apogees were one of the best speakers
he had ever heard and I totally agree!

But I'm a panel guy through and through..

Had Acoustats, Magnepans, Quads, liked em all.

These Summits really crank though, I'm very happy with them!

Now I just have to get about 3-400 hours on them...

flintstone

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2007, 01:20 am »
Hey Jeff

I have Duetta Signatures, and MiniGrands.....both are very good speaker systems. I've been into Apogees for a good number of years now...I've owned 3 pair.

I (my ears) agree with you and Ken Kessler on Apogee speaker systems...one of the best.

Yes, all of those speakers you mention are very good speaker systems....your new ones are fantastic sounding to my ear!

Dave

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2007, 08:45 pm »
I have Martin Logan in my theater and in my two channel room, love them M.L.'s!! Helps that my wife loves them, alot! :wink:
For two channel I have the M.L. Odyssey's, Cary SLP-98P as pre, Rega P-5, Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 cdp, and Classe CA-300 amp. I have a hankering for those new Summits but first I'm going to give the AV123 LS9's a try(if they ever are released!!) and if I don't like them then it's most likely Summit-time!

Man I tell ya, right now is a fine time to jump onboard the M.L. band wagon, there are Odyssey's on the gon in the $25-2800 range and I just saw the Prodigy's on ebay for $4000 but it now!! Either one of those speakers at that price is an absolute steal.

John

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jul 2007, 03:45 pm »
So, what are you thinking of the Summits so far now?

TONEPUB

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jul 2007, 03:57 pm »
So, what are you thinking of the Summits so far now?

I cut up the boxes!  How's that for love?

Honestly, I'm over the moon with these speakers, but I'm a panel guy.  My agony has
always been to get the slam of a cone speaker with the sound of a ML and the summits
come as close to my idea of the ideal sound as I think it can get for now.

Buying a line array speaker is a completely different ballpark.  NO disrespect to AV123,
but I think if you already have and love the ML sound you will be dissapointed with any
line array speaker.  All those tweeters just dont have the coherency that a panel does.

However, you will get that last bit of dynamics out of a line array that you can't get from
the Summits, so it's your call.

I couldn't be more thrilled with the Summits.  I think they could be my last speaker...

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jul 2007, 05:00 pm »
I cut up the boxes!  How's that for love?

That's gettin pretty serious, especially for Martin Logans! Have you priced new boxes?? Ouch..... :o

Yeah I sure love panels but I'm not the hard sell on the LS-9's, my wife LOVES Martin Logans(we have at least 7 of em in the house) and those LS-9's have some very big shoes to fill with her!

If the LS's don't work out the Summits are next I think but man, that price tag smarts I tell ya. I sometimes wonder about the new Quads too... Ohh, I just need to win the lottery and then I'd buy em all!

John

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jul 2007, 05:44 pm »
I think they could be my last speaker...

Famous last words....  :wink:

Bryan

TONEPUB

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jul 2007, 06:46 am »
Well, fortunately I have a steady stream of stuff coming through here.

Let's say I have a pretty good idea these are the last speakers I'm ever
going to purchase....

John Casler

« Reply #17 on: 29 Jul 2007, 06:44 pm »
Hi Jeff,

Where are "you" located?

360 area code is in WA?