Publishing

Listens2tubes

Publishing
« on: 4 Jul 2007, 12:47 am »
I visited a gallery that has my work and was shown a very impressive softcover book of photography. Nicely printed and bound. The gallery owner told me she used My Publisher. Now I have to start taking digital (copy) pictures of my silver gelatin prints to make some books. Anyone have 16"x20" scanner?  :o Anyway, I thought someone would like this. Enjoy

TONEPUB

Re: Publishing
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2007, 02:09 am »
I do have a 13 x 19 Microtek that I'm looking to get rid of if that will help.
PM me if you are interested...

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2007, 02:26 am »
Hey!

Look like they do pretty good job there too. :D

Anyway, the photo book have been around for awhile now. Kodak also have similar service called Koday Gallery. :D A few months back my photographer boss show me his friend's book made by Kodak and I was impressed.

Yes, I'm also thinking making one. And of course like you I have to scan all those B&W/color print, 4x5 trans, and 35mm slides first.  And use DSLR to copy 2 or 3 16x20 prints that I have.... good thing I still have the 16x20 easel :icon_lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2007, 01:16 pm »
Why would you scan the prints instead of the negatives? (Just wondering!)

Watson

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2007, 01:35 pm »
Is there any advantage of "My Publisher" over iPhoto books?  I checked out their website and even the templates look almost identical to iPhoto's templates, almost to the point that it seems like an iPhoto knockoff.  If you want more customizability, the book-making tools in Aperture are fantastic.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2007, 11:58 am »
Why would you scan the prints instead of the negatives? (Just wondering!)

The print is the final image. Traditional darkroom printing employ many techniques that can affect the final print, just as Photoshop does for digital images. So my prints are the image I would want to digitize.

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2007, 01:53 pm »
It's tough to get a decent scan of a print from a flatbed. They pick up every surface flaw and tend to increase contrast to unacceptable levels.

What I've found works better is to copy the print using a high quality digital camera.

Listens2tubes

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2007, 01:39 am »
Interesting. That's seems the opposite of silver photography. Camera copying adds contrast with film, not when digital. A friend has high quality scanning and superb Photoshop skills. He has scanned some old portraits from the 1920's and the scans retreive more highlight details. More than once I've seen blown out white shirts in a print yield embroidery patterns, before any addition manipulation. It's a if the scanner sees into the highlights and pulls out the details.

I will be trying some copy work, thanks.