Describe your systems "sound"

Zero

Describe your systems "sound"
« on: 3 Jul 2007, 05:22 pm »
Here's another thread created for fun and a chance to get a little insight on your fellow audiocircle comrades! The rules are simple;

- List your system!
- Describe the space where all the listening happens (along with musical taste)
- Tell us what it is you are trying to achieve with your system
- Tell us how it sounds! (example; is it forward or laid back? Lush or transparent? Does it sound big, or small, can it go loud, etc.. )
- Tell us what improvements you would like to make - if any.
- Lastly, just for "record purposes" - how long do you think you will keep your current system?

Keep it fun! I look forward to the responses!  :thumb:

Bigfish

Re: Describe your systems "sound"
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2007, 05:42 pm »
List your system!  Odyssey Mono SE Amps, Odyssey Candela Preamp, Bolder Modified Squeezebox 3 and Bolder Modified Linear Elpac, Bolder and Groneburg ICs, Groneburg SCs, Monitor Audio 9i speakers.  (SP Tech Timepiece 2.1s, Greg Straley SCs and Grover ICs on order).
- Describe the space where all the listening happens (along with musical taste)  24X14X8 great room with music system and Plasma TV on one of the long walls.  Wife and I are seriously considering rearranging the room to use one of the short walls for TV and system.
- Tell us what it is you are trying to achieve with your system.  I began compiling this system in March of this year because my HT System produced horrible 2 channel sound quality.  My wife and I would no longer listen to CDs.  My goal for this system was to be able to produce sound that I would enjoy listening to.
- Tell us how it sounds! (example; is it forward or laid back? Lush or transparent? Does it sound big, or small, can it go loud, etc.. ).  I had my current speakers in the HT System powered by a Denon 3806AVR.  The difference in sound quality from prior to March to now is night and day.  My amps and S3 are not fully broken-in and I can hear sounds that I could not hear before.  Also, the music is enjoyable to hear and I don't want to turn it off after just a few minutes of listening.  As a newbie to this hobby it is difficult to describe the sound.  Yes, it can go quite loud and sound good, yet you can listen at low volume settings and you can close your eyes and envision a stage with the performers scattered about the stage. 
- Tell us what improvements you would like to make - if any.   Speakers, cables and ICs are on the way.  Also saving for a Bolder Ultimate Power Supply.
- Lastly, just for "record purposes" - how long do you think you will keep your current system? 
Exactly as it will finally come together within the next 4 weeks?  I don't think very long!  I will want the new power supply for the S3 and possibly further mods to the S3.  If the Timepieces prove to be as satisfying as others have indicated I can envision larger SP Tech Speakers in the horizon.

mcullinan

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2007, 05:59 pm »
System: Nuforce 9 SE V2, Merlin Music VSM-MX, Epos M5, Snell Type E/IV, Lavry DA-10 DAC(my preamp right now too (waiting on Odyssey Candela to be built)), Velodyne HGS-12 Sub, Squeezebox 3.0, BlueJean Cable interconnects, Zu Wax Speaker Wire, Signal Cable Magic PC and a crappy Phillips DVD/CD player

Describe the space where all the listening happens (along with musical taste): Space is 12 x 16 with a vaulted ceiling that is rounded To me it acts like a very small concert hall... My musical taste ranges from classic jazz, classical, punk, reggae, metal, and lots of Disney and Hannah montana CDs (my daughters choices)

Tell us how it sounds!: It is a full sound, natural, tight, and musical. The sound right now lies between the speakers and about even with them. Id consider it a being there sound with a huge dynamic range from subtle to loud and everything in between. Also it never loses composure even if you play at ear bleeding levels.

Tell us what improvements you would like to make: Id say when I sold my AI Mod 3A I definitely lost some expansiveness and air in the soundstage. I cant wait to hear the Candela as Ive heard so many good things. Also things have become more transparent without the AI which I feel takes away from the musicality (I notice more of the recording quality)

I would like to try out different DACs and see what qualities each has.

how long do you think you will keep your current system?: Forever is a long time? I couldnt tell you really.
Mike

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2007, 07:49 pm »
I'm done chasing down the rabbit hole after 28 years....

Completely happy.  Have heard a couple things that would
give a touch more resolution to the presentation, but nothing
that I can afford, even getting the reviewer discount!

1000a

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2007, 08:07 pm »
I'm done chasing down the rabbit hole after 28 years....

Completely happy.  Have heard a couple things that would
give a touch more resolution to the presentation, but nothing
that I can afford, even getting the reviewer discount!

I have never spent tons of money on gear, but ever since I started hanging out here with you guys the ceiling on my audio and music budget has increased considerably :o and I am willing to spend more, relative to the past and up to a point.  On the other hand hanging out here has me DIY crazy, its fun, I learn a lot and it saves buckets in bank interest. :D

MS sound will come later

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2007, 06:24 am »
- List your system!
Source: Sony DVP-NS975V, Sony NS9100ES
Amplification: Yamaha RX-V2200, Bryston 3B-SST, Bryston 3B-ST, Bryston 2B-LP
Speakers: Paradigm Studios 100 v2, Studio 20 v3, Studio CC470 v3, CC 370 v3, Monitor 9 v2, B&W DM 601S3, Velodyne CHT-10
Alto EQU231LED Equalizer
ART SP 4x4 power conditioner
Panasonic 30" crt HDTV
Creative Audigy Platinum 2 soundcard, 340 gigabytes storage

25' x 11' x 7' with 50% concrete wall, 50% particle board, rafters, acoustic foam panels all around bottom half of room. Set up along long wall

Music- hard rock, heavy metal, electronic new age, pop

The main goal is to have a wide soundstage, and overcome the narrow sound of the front, back setup in this room.
- Tell us how it sounds! (example; is it forward or laid back? Lush or transparent? Does it sound big, or small, can it go loud, etc.. )
Having ten speakers the bass is the obvious strength, it's solid but not overbearing or boomy, articulate and very realistic.
Music is forward, transparent, natural and sounds big like the band is in front of you when cranked.  Sounds very pleasant at low volume.

The new Bryston cd player

'Til I die or it gets stolen.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2007, 10:34 am »
1.   My main system:

a.   Bob Brines FTA-2000 speakers (I commissioned the original).  These use Fostex F-200A full range drivers (no whizzer) in fairly large and quite deadened floorstanding mass loaded transmission line cabinets.
b.   Channel Island Audio VMB-1 40 watt chip based monoblock amps
c.   Channel Island Audio VPC-3 two input passive preamp
d.   Oppo 970 universal player (stock)
e.   Element Cable throughout
f.   Ikea nightstand being used as an equipment rack
g.   Six GIK 244 absorption panels in front corners and front/side first reflection points
h.   Nice leather chair/ottoman

2.   This system is in a 8 ft x 13 ft x 21 ft “man cave”.  Thoroughly insulated with dedicated circuits just for the audio stuff.  Room proportions and nearfield setup ala Cardas.

3.   Musical taste centers on small ensemble (chamber music, jazz, 40s and beyond pop).

4.   The goal is accurate reproduction of the essence of music within a $5000 USD budget while avoiding the contemporary trend of “hyper-reality”.

5.   It provides a very coherent sound with Alnico liquid warmth and great imaging focus.  Won’t go super loud or low (but rated in room to 105 dB and 30 Hz).

6.   The Oppo is the obvious weak link, but a huge overachiever.  Its an interim piece (that I’m really enjoying) after trying a music server while research/saving continues for whatever digital comes next.

7.   Except for upgrading the source, I’m set for a very long time.  Of course the itch to swap/upgrade will always be there even if there’s no real “need”.
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2007, 11:27 am by JLM »

Zero

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jul 2007, 05:17 am »
Time to weigh in a bit.

The (ever-changing) System

- Digital Source: Arcam CD-62 ; E-Mu1212M
- Amplifier: Red Wine Audio Signature 30 ; H2O Signature 150
- Speakers; Totem Acoustic 'Sttaf'
- Cables; Totem Acoustic Sinew interconnect ; Totem Acoustic Tres speaker cable

The Listening Space / Musical Taste

- http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1128

- Nearly all variations of jazz and classical. Electronic/techno , Tejano, Raggae, Flamenco, classic rock, modern (hard) rock, some heavy metal, some Euro rock, Alternative rock, some 80's, some modern pop, some opera, traditional folk, celtic, classic country, country/rock, ambient/chill out, r&b, some hip hop

Looking to achieve with system

An over-all versatile system that can play any genre of music well. Should be spiritually involving - chalk full of true to life tone

How it sounds

Mid-hall perspective, incredibly rich in tone, very holographic with wide sound-staging. There is warmth to the mid-range and upper bass, and a bit of sparkle up in the high end. This rig isn't built to sound like you're front row at a venue. It is a more mature sound built strictly to relax your nerves after a long day. However, the few who have heard the system in its various phases have all agreed that it can rock out very well when called upon to do so - and I do from time to time.  :guitar:

Improvements

In an ideal world; my pockets would be fatter and I could afford to build a room (or two or three) that is as acoustically ideal as possible for two channel listening. For now, I'm livin' on a shoe-string. With that said ; I am fairly content with my main rig. Given my space, it does all the things I consider paramount for a great stereo experience. The next purchase will be a cost-effective one box source. Ah, the Rega Saturn, Raysonic, or the Naim CD5? Decisions - decisions..

How long will I keep my current system?

I purchased the Totems in 2003. Most electronics never last more than a few months in these doors (including speakers well into the 5 grand territory). Even if I find what I consider to be a worthy replacement - those speakers are not going anywhere. Everything else however ; well, that remains to be seen. Some people in hi-fi search to find an end to a means. For yours truly, it is a hobby, and part of the fun is trying out new music and new gear.

jon_010101

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2007, 06:00 am »
Vintage Radio Craftsmen 500a tube amps, JuicyMusic Peach, Denon DCD1650AR CD player and TU850 tuner, GR Research Diluceos.

- 12x12 room with lots of hard surfaces, listen mostly to indie rock, jazz, folk, lounge
- Aiming for a clean, natural, open, dynamic, sound
- Subjectively... (when tuned how I like it)... NOT laid back or tubey (in fact, the opposite of tubey) - big, tight, open, lively, snappy, friendly, pleasantly-dry (depending on tubes), most sounds are in front of the plane of the speakers (front-row sort of perspective).  Plenty loud for my ears and apartment, I listen around 75dB when "rocking out".  This is my first system that can put sounds "anywhere" in my room; previously, sounds were always hanging between or behind the speakers.  I'm pleased to report that my tube amps are far more detailed and PRAT-y than my digital amp.
- I'd like a better sense of depth and a more "full-range" sound, where now the focus is on the midrange - I feel like I'd need different speakers, a new room, and a turntable to achieve this, however.
- I will keep this system until I can afford an apartment capable of supporting larger speakers and a proper phono setup.  :thumb:

Vr3

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2007, 06:13 am »
- List your system!

1) See Sig
2) A wide stage, with a strong center image and alot of clarity
3) I like forward and slightly bass heavy.. --- sounds fairly large for my small room
4) Not really looking for any improvements, maybe a lil more overall clarity or "tang" to it
5) I plan to keep the Odyssey and Tyler gear a while... love the stuff.