Another Source Of Income......

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Another Source Of Income......
« on: 3 Jul 2007, 05:38 am »
Spotted this story about product placement in recordings...its already being done in films.....

An executive at Fergie's record label Interscope said: "With record sales in decline, you must find novel ways to make money out of the music. The trick is to make the brand part of the song so that it slips down easily rather than chokes the fan.

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/entertainment/tittletattle/article_21289756.shtml

I can hear it now......
me and my Candie's.....i think their dandie's.......  :jester:

« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2007, 05:54 am by lonewolfny42 »

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
Re: Another Source Of Income......
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2007, 06:11 am »
Rap and Hip Hop artists have been "brand-dropping" for years, giving tons of free advertising in their songs and videos, about time someone gets paid upfront for it, won't be suprised to see more of this.  Shocked that someone like Puff Daddy didn't take advantage of it first.  Rap/hip-hop has long been the new pop music and for the most part to expect anything truly artistic would be foolish.  It's no longer "from the streets" but "from the boardroom" just like Hilary Duff and Hannah Montana.

With respect to Fergie, what's the difference between a song on her current CD like "Glamorous" and whatever she would sing about regarding the Candies products, I see no difference expect to know she's getting paid in advance.

gooberdude

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2007, 12:45 am »
Seriously, its outta hand. 

a decent example is Jay-Z announcing his return to the biz in an annoying Budweiser ad...

Kinda scary to think sponsorships might make the profit margins, rather than producing hit songs.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2007, 05:57 pm »
I'm trying hard not get disciplined for writing this, if necessary I happily invite the moderator to trash this post...the subject here, being money & the pursuit of same, reminds me that America seems to enjoy perceiving itself as a "religious" country.  But I can't help thinking that it is only inevitable that the singularly succesful religion in a capitalistic society is the sound of "ka-ching".  All roads in America seem to dead end at that crossroad. 

Not having had any TV source except for a DVD player for about 5 mos, I was struck watching NASCAR for a few minutes at someone else's home.  I could not help noticing the hilarity of the audio/video marketing scam: every car is filled w/ ads, the racer's coreograph their eat/drink, the national network audio eq & compression is aimed at mind controlling the audience so they don't drift &/or so they stop if channel surfing, the narrator's words & voices are so synthetic & contrived it is beyond description, the network's identify is plastered, & even at the bottom of the screen are constant messages ordering the viewer to watch something else.  Then there's the so-called commercial breaks...in case you didn't realize you are literally LIVING in a commercial every moment the toob has AC going through it.  Werner Erhard was right in labeling us "tubes", in more ways than he originally meant. 

I would not hook up any F'n cable or satellite if they paid me to do it.  I pity people who veiw TV, & if that includes you I apologize sincerely.  I enjoy reading about the races I am interested in (& being at the track when I can) more than the chore of viewing.  Did I say I don't like TV?  My personal relationships, mental/emotional state, & physical well-being (dropped 45 lbs in 3 mos) are immeasurably better.     
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2007, 07:11 pm by RibbonSpeakers.net »

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2007, 06:30 pm »
...."ka-ching"

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2007, 07:12 pm »
Thanks for the levity, I needed it!

"...full of sound & fury, signifying nothing..."
W.S.

MaxCast

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2007, 10:34 pm »
Hey, if it didn't work they wouldn't do it.  It's the buying public that makes it work.  If it has no effect on you then be thankful you didn't have to pay to watch the NFL.   :thumb:

If I could make mo money by paying to put my puss on a Coke can...I'd do it.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2007, 10:40 pm »
Ah....Max....
Wanna wear a nice tux ? :jester:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2007, 11:32 pm »
Wolf
You are simply too lovable, in spite of spending so much time on the 'net!  :lol:

Where do you FIND that stuff!?

Max, sadly I guess I'd do the same if it made money.

Oh, the almightly dollar.

"For the LOVE of money is the root of all..."

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jul 2007, 11:41 pm »
Where do you FIND that stuff!?

Would you believe me if I said....."Intergalactic Space" ? :lol:

Thought not....

Well, I find everything.....here..... :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2007, 11:48 pm »
i haven't had a tv in YEARS.  it's freakin' AWESOME!!! :thumb:

doug s.

I'm trying hard not get disciplined for writing this, if necessary I happily invite the moderator to trash this post...the subject here, being money & the pursuit of same, reminds me that America seems to enjoy perceiving itself as a "religious" country.  But I can't help thinking that it is only inevitable that the singularly succesful religion in a capitalistic society is the sound of "ka-ching".  All roads in America seem to dead end at that crossroad. 

Not having had any TV source except for a DVD player for about 5 mos, I was struck watching NASCAR for a few minutes at someone else's home.  I could not help noticing the hilarity of the audio/video marketing scam: every car is filled w/ ads, the racer's coreograph their eat/drink, the national network audio eq & compression is aimed at mind controlling the audience so they don't drift &/or so they stop if channel surfing, the narrator's words & voices are so synthetic & contrived it is beyond description, the network's identify is plastered, & even at the bottom of the screen are constant messages ordering the viewer to watch something else.  Then there's the so-called commercial breaks...in case you didn't realize you are literally LIVING in a commercial every moment the toob has AC going through it.  Werner Erhard was right in labeling us "tubes", in more ways than he originally meant. 

I would not hook up any F'n cable or satellite if they paid me to do it.  I pity people who veiw TV, & if that includes you I apologize sincerely.  I enjoy reading about the races I am interested in (& being at the track when I can) more than the chore of viewing.  Did I say I don't like TV?  My personal relationships, mental/emotional state, & physical well-being (dropped 45 lbs in 3 mos) are immeasurably better.     

MaxCast

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2007, 12:38 pm »
Ah....Max....
Wanna wear a nice tux ? :jester:

If coke would have paid for my wedding I'd have worn it.  :D
Hey, I'm easy, buy not cheap  :lol: