Power Supply

ecruz

Power Supply
« on: 2 Jul 2007, 06:58 pm »
Wayne-

I got a chance to listen to the PS over the weekend.  I am amazed at the difference!

Even though I never thought of my system as noisy, it is now much quieter.  What really grabbed my attention was the silence between the notes.  This really lets little details come thru that I had been missing, soft notes, breaths or just the beginning and/or ending of notes that I was unable to hear before.

The PS also made my system more dynamic.  It seems to be quicker and there’s a bigger swing between soft & loud.  The highs seem more extended with more “air” & space around them, without getting bright or harsh.  The lows seem deeper, tighter and quicker.

Together these things add up to a more realistic presentation of the music.  To say the least, I’m very pleased with the upgrade!

Thanks,
Eric

Bigfish

Re: Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2007, 02:59 am »
Eric:

When you refer to the power supply are you referring to the Ultimate Power Supply?  Also, what power supply were you using prior to trying the new one?

I had Wayne perform the analog mods and add the platinum caps to my S3 as well as mod a linear Elpac.  The modded Elpac definitely sounds better than does the little plug-in unit that came with the stock S3.  The sound from my modded S3 connected to my Candela preamp sounds much better than does my Nad C542 cd player.  Both units are connected to the preamp with standard rca, analog ICs. 

The ultimate power supply is definitely on my wish list. 

Thanks,

Ken

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2007, 03:07 pm »
Eric is using an "updated" Basic Rev. 1 power supply.

I rebuilt it for him a couple of weeks ago. It was a "standard" Basic Rev. 1. I replaced the transformer and the regulator circuit with the same parts I use in the Ultimate. The caps used are what I use in the ELPAC WM220 mod, just a couple more of them. The Basic had some Sonicap Bypasses caps that I re-used. I also built him a Nitro DC cable.

It does sound better than either the modded ELPAC WM-220, standard Basic, Basic Rev 1, or even the Welborne PS, which I do own.

It still is not close to the Ultimate PS MKII.

If anyone out there still has a Basic or Basic MK II PS and wants to upgrade it, please get in touch with me for pricing.
« Last Edit: 3 Jul 2007, 03:28 pm by Wayne1 »

Bigfish

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2007, 03:15 pm »
Wayne,

Thank you for the response concerning the power supply.  I love the magic you performed to my units and I am sure I will back for the Ultimate Power Supply as soon as I can acquire the money.

Ken