BCD-1 CD Player Reviews?

Phil A

Re: BCD-1 CD Player Reviews?
« Reply #60 on: 2 Sep 2007, 03:08 pm »
Congrats on the good review, James. However, is there really a difference between the BCD1 and the DAC soundwise?

Hi Dave,

I think that will be a contraversal topic. The Re-clocking and Re-sampling of an incoming digital signal vs the DAC/Drive being synchronized internally through a Master clock in the CD Player.

james

I'd agree that would be such a topic.  I guess the pros of a DAC would be multiple input, no attached transport to deal with (if the one you're using goes with the DAC, you'd need to find something else that mates with the DAC and you need not worry about transport parts in the DAC wearing out), and it may handle higher sampling frequencies for downloads (e.g. Linn or AIX) or high quality 2-channel mixes from DVD-Vs (like Neil Young's Greatest Hits or Live at Massey Hall 1971) or DVD-As (for those you can pass the 2 channel mix on a digital output).

I understand there are pros and cons.  I have a 14 yr. old DAC (MicroMega DuoPro) that I traded for something that was of little value to me.  It orig. listed for something like $2.5k and still sounds great vs. many things out there.  It is now in my bedroom system which sits on the other side of the wall to the main system and zone 2 output of the rec'r in there goes into the SP1.7.   The DAC now has my Sony 2000ES (CD/SACD) changer hooked to it (for CD) and also my Oppo 980 DVD Player (which also has a USB input on it).  So I can get some of those benefits you can get with a DAC.  I guess lots depends on how much software you have and whether you are a physical disc person or not.  I should note I just got a bunch of PS Audio Noise Harvesters and one of the components that dirties up the power the most is the PC.  If I ever did a HT PC for hi-def video down the road sometime and to store music on, I'd have to take a shot at building it myself to isolate things as much as I could and I'd also keep it at least a little bit away from the audio system. 

I think that there are not rights or wrongs when it comes to such a choice.  There are pros and cons to each.  For me it just boiled down to I like and buy physical discs and most of what I buy are CDs.  I'm not sure I'd ever download much but if I did I don't have problems with CD quality with the BCD-1 as a source.  I also have a Marantz DV9600 which does 2-channel 24/96 DVD-A or DVD-V (or 24/192) really nicely going into the analog ins of the SP 1.7.  When the warranty is up on the DV9600 (I think a yr. from Oct. or Nov.), I'll probably consider some reasonable mods to it (e.g. clock, capacitors) as I think it does a fine job on DVD-V and for the niche formats that SACD and DVD-A have become a slightly improved version I can live with.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #61 on: 2 Sep 2007, 04:47 pm »
Hi All,

There is a British review coming on the BCD-1 CD Player and I was asked to give a question and answer interview as part of the review (they really like it). Anyway, I thought it might be informative for everyone on Audiocircle.

BCD-1 Questions

Why wait 25 years to build your first CD player?

We had no intention of getting into the CD Player market but when we designed our Internal Stereo DAC about 3 years ago for our preamps the response in the market was overwhelmingly positive to say the least. Given that most people are fed up with all the ‘format wars’ we decided, based on our customers input, to offer a state of the art CD Player built around our DAC for the thousands of redbook CD’s and CDR’s that already exist.

Were you not tempted to go down the Universal player route?

Yes due to the increase in the home theater marketplace and the success of our surround sound processor, we did consider a universal player. Given the continued indecision on which format and when we decided to stear clear. Also universal players have issues with ‘clocking’ at multiples of the CD standard of 44.1KHz due to their video requirements.

What was it that appealed to you about the Crystal DAC you have selected?

We tested a number of DAC’s when we were designing the internal preamp DAC and felt that the Crystal performed and sounded the best, given our designs.

In the design of the CD Player we paid very close attention to the digital design: bit-timing errors (called jitter) have been eliminated by perfectly synchronizing the player’s master clock and drive. The Crystal CS4398 DAC is an advanced generation chip using a combination of several different conversion methods to optimize the digital processing. Each DAC has dedicated power supplies—a separate, closely regulated and filtered digital power supply as well as a heavily regulated and filtered analog power supply with carefully routed electrical grounds. Finally, careful trace routing throughout the complete circuit architecture of the BCD-1 eliminates potential noise via capacitive coupling, which delivers those critical extra dB’s of noise and distortion reduction.

All this being said about the concern for the digital stage of the player, I have to say that most quality DAC’s from the 5 different manufacturers we looked at performed very well. I think the significant difference in our CD Player is the Discrete analog stages around the DAC. The Bryston BCD-1 CD Player uses fully discrete Class A operational amplifiers after the DAC instead of the commonly used integrated circuits. The use of discrete devices enables exact matching of the needs of the DAC and allows for a more robust output than IC-based amplifiers. The use of discrete devices also allows us to select components with carefully matched input and output impedances based on specific in-circuit requirements

Can it be upgraded by using the MPS2 power supply?

No the MPS-2 will not work with the CD Player. Originally we were thinking of going down that road but discovered that we got much better performance by totally separating the Digital power supply section from the Analog power supply section in the CD Player. The other advantage of an internal power supply is that we can optimize the voltage and current required by the CD player.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2007, 07:43 pm by James Tanner »

Phil A

« Reply #62 on: 2 Sep 2007, 06:50 pm »

In the design of the CD Player we paid very close attention to the digital design: bit-timing errors (called jitter) have been eliminated by perfectly synchronizing the player’s master clock and drive.

Thanks James for the explanations.  I should add in addition to my last post and the above (one by James) is one of the reasons I decided to go with a CD player.  Syncronizing the master clock is not myth.  Some may want to read stuff like: http://www.lessloss.com/specs.html     Doing that in a DAC like LessLoss does is nice but it also takes away the multiple input advantage I noted and leaves you in a somewhat similar position if the drive goes as a separate stand alone CD player.  The DAC I have was in the main system for a bit some time back.  I also had a Modwright XA-777ES for CD and SACD (which I sold a couple of yrs. back.  The XA-777ES did not make a great transport for the DAC.  I mainly used a Proceed PMDT which I eventually sold.  Between the 3 systems (main, bedroom and basement) I have had 8 or 9 transports for yrs. (incl. DVD Players, DVD Recorder, CD Recorder, CD changer, LD players, etc.).  When I sold the Proceed unit, there was nothing in my main system that made a good transport.  The DAC sat in the seldom used basement system for a bit (where I had around the initial time it was placed down there, a Pioneer 704 LD Player, a rare 37.5 lb. Samsung HD1000 DVD-A/DVD-V player and a Sony 2000ES CD/SACD changer) and only the 2000ES made a really good transport which surprised me given the fact it did not weigh as much nor was built as well as the other two (and everything down there is on an old trusty Target rack filled with their heavy metal stuff and spiked).  I've played around with my DAC and others and while some DACs are clearly less sensitive to transport changes than others, I've yet personally to run accross the std. DAC/Transport combo that is totally immune to changes.  That's why some opt to use hard drive playback or a device like the Olive units.

awe-d-o-file

• Industry Participant
« Reply #63 on: 23 Sep 2007, 01:45 pm »
Hi Burke,

Gee the more I look into this the more it seems that SACD is a no-go?

james

Spoken like a true non-SACD vendor! Cheers! Now, I have an SACD player and 15 SACD's or so since I have such non-mainstream tastes. I bought my player for its redbook playback quality.  I know I will probably not be happy with the title selection if the format is still going in 30 years.....and hopefully I'm still going then too!

ET

Phil A

« Reply #64 on: 23 Sep 2007, 02:04 pm »
I have 230+ SACDs but over the last 2 or so years the numbers of what I purchase has dwindled drastically.  A good portion of what I've bought in recent times are imports which were not on the cheap side.  So I'll buy SACD if I like it but there are fewer and fewer releases.  Basically next to nothing from mainstream US labels of mainstream artists.

Lars

« Reply #65 on: 24 Sep 2007, 08:16 pm »
Hi

Can in buy one in Canada or the US? The german price for the BCD 1 is 4250 Us Dollar! Also the first chance to listen to the BCD 1 is in a couple of weeks.

Greets Lars

Phil A

« Reply #66 on: 24 Sep 2007, 11:15 pm »
You would be dealing with something configured for different voltage would you not?  Based on recent valuations of the US dollar (I think a couple of days back it fell to a new low vs. the Canadian dollar - 1:1), I'd expect to see impacts on US prices unless something changes.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #67 on: 25 Sep 2007, 01:19 am »
Hi All,

Prices in the USA will be going up about 6%-8% as of November 1st 2007.

james

Lars

« Reply #68 on: 25 Sep 2007, 08:55 am »
Hi

I know the difference between the voltage in us and europe. I was a little bit sad about the fact that the price in germany is much higher than in canda or the us. The low valuations dollar isnt the point.

Greets Lars

mr-terence

« Reply #69 on: 26 Sep 2007, 07:06 pm »
here i am in UK england, having just taken delivery of my silver BCD-1 player.

early days yet, but so far i find it stunning. thank you to the bryston company!

Phil A

« Reply #70 on: 27 Sep 2007, 01:28 am »
Hi

I know the difference between the voltage in us and europe. I was a little bit sad about the fact that the price in germany is much higher than in canda or the us. The low valuations dollar isnt the point.

Greets Lars

I understand.  Is the larger part of the price differential due to VAT?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #71 on: 27 Sep 2007, 02:00 am »
here i am in UK england, having just taken delivery of my silver BCD-1 player.

early days yet, but so far i find it stunning. thank you to the bryston company!

Hi mr,

Thanks for the feedback -glad your enjoying it.

james

runs10k

« Reply #72 on: 27 Sep 2007, 03:06 pm »
I picked up the BCD-1 yesterday afternoon. It is a sonic stunner.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #73 on: 1 Oct 2007, 03:15 pm »
Hi All,

Thanks for all the incredible positive feedback on Audiocircle as well as privately regarding the new Bryston CD Player.

It is very interesting to see how many common similar observations there are on the sound quality. I always find it interesting that given the diversity of systems and setups out there that we still get a common thread of comments regarding products we send out into the world.

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #74 on: 3 Oct 2007, 12:11 pm »
Definitely interesting. I think your gear gets the best out of every system it's placed in. Even with my cheap speakers, the sound is fantastic.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #75 on: 16 Oct 2007, 12:23 pm »

ian.ameline

« Reply #76 on: 16 Oct 2007, 11:39 pm »
Hey James,

Any news on the DAC you guys are working on?

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #77 on: 17 Oct 2007, 12:28 am »
Hey James,

Any news on the DAC you guys are working on?

Thanks!

Yes - was listening to the prototype today.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #78 on: 18 Oct 2007, 03:10 pm »
Hi All,

Nice input from a true professional.

http://www.bryston.ca/pdfs/07/BCD-1CR101707.pdf

james

vegasdave