WTB: Altmann Attraction DAC

jaspal kallar

WTB: Altmann Attraction DAC
« on: 27 Jun 2007, 04:55 pm »
On the rare off chance if anybody is looking to move on their Altmann Dac please PM me.

jaspal

jaspal kallar

Re: WTB: Altmann Attraction DAC
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2007, 02:34 pm »
On the rare off chance if anybody is looking to move on their Altmann Dac please PM me.

jaspal

Hi

I've decided I don't want one for now. Thanks.

jaspal

smccull

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2007, 03:35 pm »
I'm looking for one, and for clarity sake will place my own WTB ad.

anubisgrau

« Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2007, 11:23 am »

jaspal

Hi

jaspal

not sure yet about the amp?

jaspal kallar

« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2007, 01:47 pm »

jaspal

Hi

jaspal

not sure yet about the amp?

No it's nothing to do with the amp. I'm using my money elsewhere for the coming months and another AC user wanted to put an add for the Altmann Dac. I thought it was only fair to let him have first choice since I'm not loking at the moment.

Í will be getting the DAC... I mean I have the amp and the Optima battery now.... it will just have to wait for a while :-)

jaspal kallar

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2007, 08:20 pm »
Ok I'm looking for one again. On the rare off chance if anybody is looking to move on their Altmann Dac please PM me. Thanks

jaspal

tanchiro58

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2007, 09:46 pm »
Ok I'm looking for one again. On the rare off chance if anybody is looking to move on their Altmann Dac please PM me. Thanks

jaspal

Jaspal,

I think you just order directly from Altmann Micro Machines. I was waiting for long to get one and guess the last used one was sold in a day. I do not know and have not listened to Attraction DAC but it seems most of the Attraction DAC owners are very satisfied to keep it for long time.

jaspal kallar

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2007, 07:36 am »

jaspal

Jaspal,

I think you just order directly from Altmann Micro Machines. I was waiting for long to get one and guess the last used one was sold in a day. I do not know and have not listened to Attraction DAC but it seems most of the Attraction DAC owners are very satisfied to keep it for long time.

The first time I put this add in I got 2 offers in less than a week but I had already committed myself (money wise) to the Altmann Amp (which I also advertised here and got an offer in less than a week).   However, I am in somewhat agreement that most Altmann Dac users tend not to sell on but you never know.

jaspal.

tanchiro58

« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2007, 08:22 am »
Jaspal,

How do you like your Altmann BYOB amp? Why did you choose the amp over the DAC? Thanks.

jaspal kallar

« Reply #9 on: 30 Oct 2007, 04:41 pm »

jaspal

I'm not looking for one any longer.

I ordered directly from Charles  :D

I managed to (finally) sell my old mono amps and TVC pre amp. So I had enough money to order directly. 

Mods could you please remove this thread, seems like I can't do it myself. Thanks

jaspal

tanchiro58

« Reply #10 on: 30 Oct 2007, 07:06 pm »
Jaspal,

Have you tried to modify your BYOB amp by replacing the two Wima little red-orange cube coupling caps (near the volume control) with a pair of better quality metallized polypropylene caps. To my ears the BYOB amp will sound open up more (it was sounding so congested to me) and better separation.

Congratulation that you finally get an Altmann Attraction DAC.  :thumb:

jaspal kallar

« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2007, 09:52 pm »
Jaspal,

Have you tried to modify your BYOB amp by replacing the two Wima little red-orange cube coupling caps (near the volume control) with a pair of better quality metallized polypropylene caps. To my ears the BYOB amp will sound open up more (it was sounding so congested to me) and better separation.

Congratulation that you finally get an Altmann Attraction DAC.  :thumb:

No I have not. I'm not sure what has to be done. I'm not a DIY person at all to be honest. Strangely, perhaps, my BYOB amp took over 600 hrs of burn in before it opened up. I bought it used and I think it had only been used for a few hrs (like one day). I can't wait for the DAC and to pair it up with the BYOB amp. 

tanchiro58 how's the BYOB DAC and Amp sounding now that you've had it a few weeks?

jaspal.

tanchiro58

« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2007, 05:09 am »
how's the BYOB DAC and Amp sounding now that you've had it a few weeks?

Jaspal,

Attraction DAC sounds very nice the way I expected but the amp was sounding so congested and little dry when I crank up the volume. That is why I have tried to modify with better quality coupling caps (well they cost only $20 each) with high value of mF(10mF) and bypass with PIO caps for smoothness.

Tan

jaspal kallar

« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2007, 09:31 am »
how's the BYOB DAC and Amp sounding now that you've had it a few weeks?

Jaspal,

Attraction DAC sounds very nice the way I expected but the amp was sounding so congested and little dry when I crank up the volume. That is why I have tried to modify with better quality coupling caps (well they cost only $20 each) with high value of mF(10mF) and bypass with PIO caps for smoothness.

Tan

I gather from another BYOB amp user that he added a Black Gate (10.000mF/63V) over the psu terminal to add some "life" into the music. 

I'm really curious about one thing. You have the Altmann Dac and presume the hi-gain version of the BYOB amp and your speakers that are quite high sensitivity? If so can you turn the volume pot much before it gets too loud?

jaspal.

tanchiro58

« Reply #14 on: 31 Oct 2007, 06:12 pm »
I'm really curious about one thing. You have the Altmann Dac and presume the hi-gain version of the BYOB amp and your speakers that are quite high sensitivity? If so can you turn the volume pot much before it gets too loud?

Jaspal,

This is my concern too when turning up the volume pot to 10 o'clock which is the position I can stand with my high sensitivity speakers but if I just turn it up little bit more it would be too loud for my ears even though I already connected Promitheus TVC in between. I think Charles designed the BYOB amp for the "hard to drive" speakers too but I do not understand why most of BYOB amp owners (including me) have their suggestion for high senstivity speakers. That is why my next move is to replace the stock volume pot with a stereo stepped attenuators 100K that I have in hand.

How did the other BYOB amp owner replace the stock PS caps with BG 10,000mF/63V? Do you have any pics or do you know what caps have to be replaced (I can see the two silver caps and two small caps in between)?

Tan

jaspal kallar

« Reply #15 on: 31 Oct 2007, 10:14 pm »
Jaspal,

This is my concern too when turning up the volume pot to 10 o'clock which is the position I can stand with my high sensitivity speakers but if I just turn it up little bit more it would be too loud for my ears even though I already connected Promitheus TVC in between. I think Charles designed the BYOB amp for the "hard to drive" speakers too but I do not understand why most of BYOB amp owners (including me) have their suggestion for high senstivity speakers. That is why my next move is to replace the stock volume pot with a stereo stepped attenuators 100K that I have in hand.

How did the other BYOB amp owner replace the stock PS caps with BG 10,000mF/63V? Do you have any pics or do you know what caps have to be replaced (I can see the two silver caps and two small caps in between)?

Tan

I think there is low-gain BYOB amp also which would suit better high sensitivity speakers. I can't understand either why nearly all BYOB amp users go for high sensitivity speakers. 

jaspal

audiotone

« Reply #16 on: 1 Nov 2007, 08:57 am »

Jaspal,

Tan

Hi Tan,

here is a picture of the BG:
http://picasaweb.google.com/tony.de.lobelle/MySystem/photo#5127792891612844466

But I do not use it anymore...if you wait long enough the Byob amp starts to "shine" without using the BG.
I left the BG in for the DAC as a kind of power buffer...anyway I made some extra psu cables so I can switch and play with or without BG.

Tony

tanchiro58

« Reply #17 on: 1 Nov 2007, 04:58 pm »
But I do not use it anymore...if you wait long enough the Byob amp starts to "shine" without using the BG.
I left the BG in for the DAC as a kind of power buffer...anyway I made some extra psu cables so I can switch and play with or without BG.

Tony,

I got the BYOB amp from an audiogoner so I guess I had been used for around 6 months. The BYOB amp in my system sounds too loud with less volume. That is why I am thinking to modify it with a stepped attenuator, would that be a good idea? Besides I did replace the stock coupling caps with Sonicap 10mF/200v and bypassed with Vit Q 0.1mF/600v. However, there is less congested sound (with stock Wima caps) but the loudness is still there.  :scratch:FYI the BYOB amp is driving my horn-based speakers (97dB). Thanks.

http://picasaweb.google.com/home

Regards,
Tan
« Last Edit: 2 Nov 2007, 08:28 pm by tanchiro58 »

pardales

« Reply #18 on: 1 Nov 2007, 07:07 pm »
I have suggested in a few other threads here and at Audiogon that this amp can work with a wide array of speakers. I happen to have speakers with the Lowther DX3 and I can only move my volume knob between 6 o'clock and 8:30. By the time I get to 9 o'clock the volume is way to loud. I think you could easily use this amp with moderately efficient speakers (86-88 db); it is really powerful. I can't speak to the mods you guys are talking about, my gear is stock and I don't know how to do that stuff. I did once put a Prometheus TVC in front of my BYOB and it did give me more range on its volume control. But I was just not comfortable leaving it in the chain.

audiotone

« Reply #19 on: 2 Nov 2007, 12:16 am »

Tony,

I got the BYOB amp from an audiogoner so I guess I had been used for around 6 months. The BYOB amp in my system sounds too loud with less volume. That is why I am thinking to modify it with a stepped attenuator, would that be a good idea? Besides I did replace the stock coupling caps with Sonicap 10mF/200v and bypassed with Vit Q 0.1mF/600v. However, there is less congested sound (with stock Wima caps) but the loudness is still there.  :scratch:FYI the BYOB amp is driving my horn-based speakers (97dB). Thanks.

Regards,
Tan

here is a good attenuator: http://www.dact.com/html/attenuators.html
I would use the 10K version to put in between the dac and amp.
Putting it in place of the altmann volume knob would not solve your problem (not even a 100K)...just put it in between.
0,1 % precision...don't see that happening with a TVC...

I use them in my preamp as well:
http://users.pandora.be/tony.de.lobelle/toon/index.htm

about the input caps...I tried all the audiophile types out there in my preamp and the Wima's are not that bad...
I finally went for the AN copperfoils.

I leave the wima's in for the moment.

the "congestion" will go away after a few hundred hours of playing...