all things recording

beaupupp

all things recording
« on: 25 Jun 2007, 06:41 am »
Hello to all my new "GAS" friends.  This will be my first post.  Since  i am a newcomer to the world of computors and e-mail I had to get some help with this first post from Adrian. My on line name is beaupupp aka recording engineer aka john blaine.  I want to say thanks to all of you for the kind welcomes from you at Tims and at the church for the recording session. what a first class group you all are!  I would like to inform you that the mastering of the CD is complete and needs only approval from Dennis to start the ball moving. I have two master discs actually. the first is with the rather dead accoustics of the church and the second with added ambience via lexicon. (about 0.8 to 1.5 depending on the requirements of the music.)There has been some question about the recording gear used. here is the list:  the microphones were Bruel & Kjaer models 4006. These are very omni directional and are among the most flat frequency curves available. They were spaced about five or six feet apart.  The do a spectacular job in addition when spaced as little as 8" to 12" apart. For the second part of the evening , i used two Schoepps colette series mics with the No. 5 preamp mates with the cmc no. 5 capsule. This is a two way cardiod / omni selectable. i chose the omni settings.   The mixing board was a Ramsa (panasonic pro audio) board no.WR4412.  The recorder was a sony pro PCM R700 with super bit maping.  Headphones were Akg 240's.  All or any of you who want to get a preview listen are welcome to invite you'r self over in small groups of one, two, or three.                                                                                                                                                              My listening system consists of the following: Martin Logan Monoliths..These were the Prototypes and were owned by the late William Hoekstra, the St. Louis symphony grammy winning recording engineer. Bill Worked with Martin Logan to assist with overall sound balance refining. They came into my hands when Bill later up graded to a prototype of the Martinlogan Statements. My Preamp is the Pass Audio X-1. I use a Threshold active crossover. Amplifiers are Pass labs X 350 and Threshold S-500. CD units are sony pro CDR-66 and a rotel cd player. Also included are Sony Pro DAT PCM-R 500 and Sony Pro PCM R700.  That is my basic primary system.                                                                                                                                                                                        John

steve k

Re: all things recording
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2007, 11:30 am »
Welcome aboard, John!
And thanks again from all of us for the opporunity to hear Dennis in action and be "flies on the wall" at your recording session in action. I'm excited to hear the final version both with and without delay. I found it interesting when I heard the playback afterwards that there seemed to be more hall ambience on the recording than what we heard from where we were sitting. I assumed this was due to the mic location and their "omni" performance. I'm anxious to hear both versions of the final master.

I'd also love to hear your system. That's some major power you're biamping with and as my colleagues know well, I'm a sucker for planar sound. :drool: It's an honor to have someone with your credentials as a member of our group.  :bowdown:

We look forward to future events as well and hope Dennis will drop by occasionally also. You're both welcome at my humble digs anytime.
steve k

Docutech

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2007, 01:16 pm »
Wonderfull news! Thanks for posting details on the equipment used. Sounds like you had things under control in there.

Can't wait to hear the CD!

sturgus

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2007, 02:40 am »
John,
All I can say is BRAVO,BRAVO,BRAVO :notworthy: Also welcome to the club.
Sturgus

jedi35

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2007, 03:35 am »
Hi John,

Very nice first post!! We are all thrilled to have you as a member here. Guys, I must say that if you can find the time, you must try and make it over to John's for a listen. It's really quite an experience. John inspired me to become a Martin Logan man several years ago, and I have not looked back at all. Right now Scott is helping me to actively biamp my speakers, which are the Quests. They are the little brothers of John's Monoliths. The Pass Labs amp and preamp are simply divine. You won't be sorry. I too am looking forward to hearing both versions of the recording.

Adrian