Why no/few "Nice score at thrift store" posts here

Tonto Yoder

« on: 19 Aug 2003, 11:29 am »
Seems like there are always 3 or 4 threads ongoing at Vinyl Asylum where the poster gloats about finding 20 LP's for $5 and then lists 20 albums that most people couldn't care less about.   The appropriate response seems to be "Nice score!  You're going to love that Carpenters LP."

I'm grateful there aren't similar threads here, but have wondered why not???  Are others just as tired of thrift score threads as I am???  I have nothing against dumpster-diving, thrift store lurking or scouring used record stores, but don't really enjoy threads about those exploits.  I realize there's an enthusiasm for finding ANY vinyl when one first enters or re-enters LP-playing:  maybe one tempers that enthusiasm as one accumulates  a stack of mediocre LP's??

Thanks for your thoughts

grumpy

• http://www.audiokarma.org
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2003, 07:19 pm »
"Seems like there are always 3 or 4 threads ongoing at Vinyl Asylum where the poster gloats about finding 20 LP's for $5 and then lists 20 albums that most people couldn't care less about. The appropriate resp onse seems to be "Nice score! You're going to love that Carpenters LP." "

Gee glad to see you still have that elitist attitude.... Just cuz people  don't like "Your" Music its crap ?

"I'm grateful there aren't similar threads here, but have wondered why not??? Are others just as tired of thrift score threads as I am??? I have nothing against dumpster-diving, thrift store lurking or scouring used record stores, but don't really enjoy threads about those exploits. I realize there's an enthusiasm for finding ANY vinyl when one first enters or re-enters LP-playing: maybe one tempers that enthusiasm as one accumulates a stack of mediocre LP's?? "

Sounds like your trolling for folks to reinforce your views !

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2003, 07:57 pm »
I for one did not read TY's post as a troll for like-mindedness.  Grumpy's post however seemed to want to change it into such or at least add to a potential fire.  That aside...

I haven't gone dumpster diving in some time.  Basically I haven't finished my TT so I haven't picked up any new vinyl lately. Or actually I have but haven't spun any of it.  Its hard to get excited about what you haven't spun.

I do however see your point that often most people aren't really that interested in what others scored.  The scorer is stoked and wants to brag about it but noone else really cares other than they might now have new energy for going out dumpster diving themselves.  I personally have very different interests in vinyl than what typical vinyl posters have and 99% of the time haven't even heard of what they are talking about.  Even if I have, I generally don't care for it.  

We here at AC have quite an ecletic taste in music, probably or partially because of our varied ages.  Even in the subgroup of the vinyl circle this seems to be the case.  

I honestly wouldn't care to read a thread on someone's score but maybe that is just me.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2003, 08:59 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
I for one did not read TY's post as a troll for like-mindedness.  Grumpy's post however seemed to want to change it into such or at least add to a potential fire.  

Josh,
it seems there's already some like-mindedness here since people don't make the thrift store score posts in this forum. I was just wondering why??? Often, in Vinyl Asylum there ARE some inmates who are quite interested in the thrift posts; I'm just not one of them.

As to Grumpy, he may still be mad that I've pointed out elsewhere what an illiterate he is. I guess the three mistakes he made ( "Music"[sic], "its [sic] crap," & "your [sic] trolling")  bear that assessment out.  Or it might be that thrift stores play a major role at audiokarma and he resents their name being taken in vain.

dogberry

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2003, 09:45 pm »
I picked up a bunch of LPs at Amoeba in Hollywood for $1/ea.

Style Council -  Internationalists
Alan Parsons - I, Robot
Fleetwood Mac - Mystery to Me
Gary Moore - Victims of the Future
Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs
Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees
Sweet - Level Headed
Faces - A Nod is as Good as a Wink

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2003, 10:21 pm »
Nice score!  You're going to love that Fleetwood Mac!

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2003, 10:50 pm »
:rotflmao:

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2003, 11:03 pm »
No, he REALLY IS going to love that Mac!  (unless he's expecting Stevie Nicks.)  "Mystery To Me" is from the middle Mac period with Bob Welch behind the mike. "Hypnotized" is a great song IMHO.

dogberry

« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2003, 12:11 am »
Welch is great!  And Hypnotized is a great song!  Plus, Christine McVie has four outstanding songs on the record.

I am an unapologetic Christine McVie fan.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2003, 01:18 am »
Quote from: dogberry

I am an unapologetic Christine McVie fan.

Oh, that's just Perfect!   :D

Edit: to explain the joke, before Christine became Mrs. John McVie, she performed as Christine Perfect.  Her 1st LP was "The Legendary Christine Perfect Album."

nathanm

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2003, 02:35 am »
Once upon a time I did indeed pick up "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" at a used record store for like 50 cents.  Actually most of my collection is from such places, peppered with a few new releases.  I also discovered The Pentangle from an LP a friend gave me that his college's radio station was tossing.  Great score!  

What about Jimmy's Chicken Shack?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Me neither, this LP was put into my oven for modern art sculpture experiements. 150-200 degrees seems to be the point when they start to get pliable.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2003, 03:12 am »
Hey, I was just talking to someone about Pentangle and college radio stations!!  Just a coincidence?? I don't think so.  It's a sign:  I'm definitely playing the number "5" in tonight's lottery.  Only need 4 more numbers......Nathan has 1010 posts and joined AC on the 25th, so "10" and "25" are  winners...........I have 423 posts, so "4" and "23" are good.

4,  5,  10, 23 & 25   and I'm $21 million richer.  Wonder if Curl & Crump will send a Blowtorch and a JC-1 based on expected winnings????

grumpy

• http://www.audiokarma.org
« Reply #12 on: 22 Aug 2003, 02:37 pm »
TY

If I didnt know any better I would think your not my best bud anymore. Once an elitist always one ! For someone who says they dont like AA or AK so much it sure seems you visit there quite often. Must be your stomping grounds for gathering up all your ammo to lay on the folks over here. Have fun talking down to dumpster divers and folks who dont like YOUR music.  Now go get your DICKtionary to correct this post !

Grumpy

JoshK

« Reply #13 on: 22 Aug 2003, 03:05 pm »
Grumpy....

This is definitely not necessary.  If you have a personal problem with TY PM him or work it out elsewhere.   We don't need to denegrate to personal attacks.

gonefishin

Re: Why no/few "Nice score at thrift store" posts
« Reply #14 on: 22 Aug 2003, 03:09 pm »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
Seems like there are always 3 or 4 threads ongoing at Vinyl Asylum where the poster gloats about finding 20 LP's for $5 and then lists 20 albums that most people couldn't care less about.   The appropriate response seems to be "Nice score!  You're going to love that Carpenters LP."...

Guess I don't really know why AC doesn't have a bunch of these  post either...maybe you will in the future...maybe you won't.  Myself, I like to read about new music recommendations...but I usually skip over the  "Look at the fifty records I picked up today."  Why, not sure.  Don't get me wrong...I'm happy for anyone who comes across a good deal...especially if they're excited about it.  But I still usually skip over them.  
 Now, If the person were to say that they found Some old NOS tubes, tube amps...or some old JBL 2441's in a thrift store...or in the dumpster of a local theater...YOU BET I"D BE INTERESTED!!!  8)   I guess it just comes down ta what interests us.

Quote from: Tonto Yoder
I'm grateful there aren't similar threads here, but have wondered why not???  Are others just as tired of thrift score threads as I am???  I have nothing against dumpster-diving, thrift store lurking or scouring used record s ...

While I don't usually read or post these types of threads...I don't think the reason has to do with tastes in music...unless you only find enjoyment out of new releases (which I doubt is the case).  I usually go into the thrift stores looking for a mint Hartsfield speaker (which hasn't happened yet;) ),  But it seems I always come up empty handed...so I start looking  thru (and bought) the Lps they have...I've found they really have a good selection...at least to me.  They've got some older rock, that brings back a lot of memories to me...then...they've got a huge selection of jazz, blues and classical.  The Jazz and blues is what I enjoy.  Most of the time the jazz, blues, classical Lps are in glorious condition...hardly used!  If your a strictly component guy (which I don't suspect) ...I almost always see a couple of "audiophile" reference recordings there too.  They've also really got quite a selection of polka music too...but that's not really my tastes. ;)

take care>>>>>>

Hoots

« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2003, 03:57 pm »
The Amoeba stores have nice $1 bins.   Half Priced Books can also provide some nice finds.

There are a lot of the same over produced stuff in the discount bins that I've seen before but there also seems to be a few good finds after an hour of searching.

I have 3,000 lps so I'm getting more selective and willing to pay more for the items I want.

One of my niches is indie Boston rock bands from the late 70's and early 80's.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #16 on: 22 Aug 2003, 06:11 pm »
gonefishin:
"Most of the time the jazz, blues, classical Lps are in glorious condition...hardly used! If your a strictly component guy (which I don't suspect) ...I almost always see a couple of "audiophile" reference recordings there too."
Excuse me if I start hating you now so I can avoid the rush! :D
The local thrifts suck, so I'm jealous. Most of my used vinyl now comes from the relatively local record store. A few still come from eBay. To me, the more interesting posts are those dealing with which new titles will be issued or reissued on vinyl.For instance,  Oliver Nelson's "Blues & the Abstract Truth" was just added to Acoustic Sounds' catalog ($30).  Now if someone would only post where I could find it for $10!