A Midrange Issue

ssglx

A Midrange Issue
« on: 24 Jun 2007, 10:05 pm »
My little system for the most part sounds wonderful and lively, but I get emphasis on some ranges of the piano, flute, vibes and some voices. Based on listening with a Stereophile test CD, I think the issues are in the 250hz to 1000hz range.

I have a Furutech Room Diffusor which when placed against the back wall centered between the speakers (Soliloquy 5.0 monitors on 24" stands), knocks the problem out, but it also reduces the midbass too much for my liking. I really love the "pressurizing" of the room I normally get in the bass, and that seems to get lost with the Room Diffusor, probably because the woofers can't move alot of air to start with.

A 2'x2' foam "egg-crate" absorption panel also has some attenuation of the midrange problem, but still affecting the bass more than I'd like.

What product or method will get me attenuation of the 250-1000 hz range, without absorbing the other frequencies?

RPG Hemiffusor a good fit? Skyline?

Thanks for any help,
Chris

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: A Midrange Issue
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2007, 03:40 pm »
Most diffusors aren't very effective below 500Hz so that might be a good start.  You can also potentially build a sealed membrane type absorber tuned a bit higher than normal.  I do question what's actually happening though because the foam should be doing basically nothing below 250Hz.

Bryan

8thnerve

Re: A Midrange Issue
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2007, 05:28 pm »
Sounds like corner distortion.  You need something to trap the corner return wave, especially the tri-corner.  That will flatten out your midrange response without overdamping the high end.