M-165X in car doors

AK

• twisterspeakers
M-165X in car doors
« on: 20 Jun 2007, 04:01 pm »
has anyone tried M-165X in car doors? how do they sound? i nead laid back sound without any peaks in frequency. currently i use pair of klipsch woofers with highpass filter, they measured pretty well in a box, but in car doors they have huge peaks (caused by distortion?) in upper frequencies and i don't want to use low pass filter.

Danny Richie

Re: M-165X in car doors
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2007, 11:50 pm »
That is really a tough on to respond to. There is really no way to predict what the response will look like once you mount it in a car.

Loftprojection

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jun 2007, 12:38 am »
If you do try it please report back to us, I would be very interested to know.  It's the perfect size for a car application, man, wouldn't be fun to have A/V-1 sound signature in the car!

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jun 2007, 01:56 pm »
The roller coaster response graph in a car has nothing to do with the driver, it's the impossible to control acoustics of the environment.  That's why most serious car audio guys use ridiculous amounts of EQ'ing to get a semi-flat response.  If you put those in doors, better make 100% sure that the door seals well and never gets wet inside - those cones aren't at all like your typical automotive poly or metallic cones.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2007, 01:59 pm »
Go to www.diymobileaudio.com with your questions.  You will receive some nice answers there.

jonwb

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2007, 03:15 pm »
To add to what TurboFC3S said above, I would also think you'd want to provide some water protection for the drivers.  Maybe some of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MZgR4dZXEJr/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=237XT65&tab=review#Tab

Per the reviews, they would likely need to be cut open on the bottom to give them some more air volume.

Interesting idea nonetheless...

IronForge

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jun 2007, 02:46 am »
You may also be able to fabricate a fiberglass enclosure for it.. mold it to the door or a kick panel.

AK

• twisterspeakers
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2007, 06:23 pm »
fiberglass enclosure is too much :) I'd rather replace woofers every couple years,
unless they are scanspeaks :)
I guess I'll just use equalizer with existing treated paper woofers, they are not
that bad after all, besides I did a lot of modifications to them.
I'll probably try M-165X woofers after existing ones destroyed by water and harsh weather :)