What's your favorite concert DVD?

witchdoctor

« on: 17 Aug 2003, 09:06 pm »
I just picked up Roy Orbison Live at Austin City Limits from Roy's website. It was recorded in 1982 and sounds awesome. The video quality
is a little chroma bugged in spots, but sound quality, GREAT!
DVD is a great medium to experience music and there appears to be a lot of titles  available. Anyone else care to weigh in?

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #1 on: 17 Aug 2003, 09:51 pm »
My personal favorite is the "Best of Sessions at West 54th (VOL. 1)" One track each from various artists who appeared on the show.  Shawn Colvin, Suzanne Vega, Nil Lara, Wynton, Jane Siberry, Richard Thompson, Sinead O'Connor& more.

I wish they'd release more episodes of this series, esp. if they'd include songs that weren't included in the show.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2003, 04:43 am »
My faves are Roy Orbison's "A Black & White Night", Satch's "Live in San Francisco", and Queensryche's "Operation Live Crime."  The Eagles "Hell Freezed Over" is actually pretty good, too, although I'm not a really big fan.

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2003, 11:25 am »
I have 12 concert dvd. I also like Joe Satriani live in San Francisco. I also like U2- Elevation dvd. My favorite U2 song-New York. I never liked this band at first cept for a couple songs. I've gotten use to their style and now listen to it regularly.

Tonto Yoder

Can we add WORST concert DVD's as warning to others????
« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2003, 11:42 am »
Three concert-type DVD's I have that people should be advised before buying-----
Ani DiFranco's "Render"
Daniel Lanois' "Rocky World"
Leonard Cohen "Ladies & Gentleman, LC"

All of these are by artists I would LOVE to see in concert; however, each is more like a documentary rather than a musical performance (the Lanois piece actually was made for Canadian TV).  While I can watch the performances from "Best of Sessions" over and over, the above DVD's/videos are more one-time viewings. People might still want the DVD's, but be advised as to what one is getting. (The Leonard Cohen is especially droll).

BTW, my perspective is that I DON'T buy movie videos or DVD's because I think they're more for one-time viewing.

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2003, 03:43 pm »
I only have a couple, but my favorite of which is Jeff Buckley's Live at Chicago.  Just watched it yesterday in fact.  Love his performance on this and a great way to remember what a great musician he was.

mojoman

« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2003, 05:39 pm »
Walter Trout -Live Trout - Trout is just an awesome blues/rock guitarist.  This is only a 45 minute set but Walter is smokin'.

The Three Pickers - Doc Watson, Earl Scruggs, Ricky Skaggs.  Great bluegrass/oldtime music with guest appearance by Allison Krauss.

Marbles

« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2003, 02:20 am »
I have just shy of 100 concert DVD's...I really like them as you could probably tell.

I don't have one favorite, but in heavy rotation I like:

Led Zep - How the West Was Won  - Early footage of concerts

Music For Montserat - Where else can you see Eric Clapton, mark knopfler, Sting, and Phil collins on stage at the same time?  Oh yea, Paul McCartney's not bad  :wink:

The Best of Ringo Star and his Allstar Band - These guys are ALL proffesional and they are out to have FUN and it shows..highly recomended - Dr. John even looks like this  :jester:

Fleetwood Mac - The Dance

Tina Turner Live in Amsterdam - I almost didn't buy this DVD because I thought she was too "pop", but she ROCKS and her dancers are FINE :wink:

Eagles Hell Freezes Over - VERY well recorded

Don Henley - Live Inside Job - again well recorded

Stevie Ray Vaughan Live From Austin, Texas - Smokin guitar - you HAVE to be a fan after watching this DVD

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature- Very well recorded- the only problem is the damn interviews between songs..have your remote ready to FF.

Those are my current heavy rotation.....

bubba966

« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2003, 02:47 am »
Quote from: Marbles
Tina Turner Live in Amsterdam - I almost didn't buy this DVD because I thought she was too "pop", but she ROCKS and her dancers are FINE   :wink:

Eagles Hell Freezes Over - VERY well recorded

I've actually got both of those on DTS LD's (both are still sealed even). But I didn't pick them up for the content, I picked them up for my DTS LD collection. Someday I'll have all of the DTS releases pressed on LD... :mrgreen:

Maybe someday if I'm really bored and I've gone through my list of movies I've not yet watched since I've bought (probably in the neighborhood of 200+ discs :o ) them I might have to crack the Turner disc open. :lol:

Marbles

« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2003, 02:54 am »
Bubba,

Crack open a cold beverage..and open the TT DVD...after you've seen it one time, you can fast forward from like song 3 to song 9 as the ones in between don't do anything for me, but it pretty much is a rocker with some good looking dancers.

If you can crank it up..it has some killer bass too, a real sub tester  8)

tmij

Favorite Jazz DVDs
« Reply #10 on: 22 Aug 2003, 04:23 am »
Calle 54, by far. Michel Camilo's performance in that disc is incredible but imo the show stealer is his drummer, Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez. Cachao and Bebo Valdes, Chucho Valdes, Chano Dominguez, Paquito D'Rivera, Tito Puente and Eliane Elias all turn in excellent performances. Only one weak segment (Gato B).

The director (Trueba) actually made a "movie" of all these artists. He allowed them one performance each (exception: Chucho) and let them loose. If you like Jazz, you'll enjoy this disc. If you love Latin Jazz, chances are you have this already!

Peppino D'agostino, Laurence Juber @ the Aixrecords label. This label uses a "tribrid" format w/ DVD Audio on one side and DVD Video of the performances on another. Not just for guitar fans.

Jane Monheit Live at the Rainbow Room and Diana Krall Live in Paris, for when you have a lot of male friends visiting.

Bela Fleck Live at the Quick. Flecktones smoke as usual, Jeff Coffin (sax) has killer chops galore. Guest performances by Congar the Tuvan throat singer and Sandip Burman (tabla). Fun!

Bummer-- Herbie Hancock's Future2Future... what the heck was Herbie thinking during that spiel in the intro???

Pat Metheny-- unfortunately his best concert is on VHS (don't remember, was it More Travels?) and not available on DVD.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #11 on: 22 Aug 2003, 10:35 am »
"Down From the Mountain" concert companion to "O Brother Where Art Thou?  OK, this isn't my favorite, but it's very good for anyone into this type music.  One thing I especially like is that the behind the scenes introductory material is all at the beginning of the DVD. The intro stuff is interesting, but not something to watch over and over, so one can skip to track 6 and enjoy the concert proper.

One note--John Hartford, the banjo/fiddle player, was emcee for the concert and performed several songs (the duet with Gillian Welch is great). His persona is like an Appalachian Tom Waits--offbeat, humorous yet talented.
This MAY have been his last major performance--he was ill at the time (cancer I believe) and subsequently passed on.

bwkendall

That's easy.....
« Reply #12 on: 26 Aug 2003, 08:34 pm »
Peter Gabriel's Secret World DVD, hands down.  If you haven't seen it yet, you are missing something.

bwkendall

Agree with Marbles on a couple of points....
« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2003, 11:31 pm »
I have just shy of 100 concert DVD's...I really like them as you could probably tell.

I don't have one favorite, but in heavy rotation I like:

Led Zep - How the West Was Won  - Early footage of concerts

Music For Montserat - Where else can you see Eric Clapton, mark knopfler, Sting, and Phil collins on stage at the same time?  Oh yea, Paul McCartney's not bad  :wink:

The Best of Ringo Star and his Allstar Band - These guys are ALL proffesional and they are out to have FUN and it shows..highly r ...

Don Henley's DVD is great, and I like Ringo's too.  Question though.  Does the scene or track selection option on your Ringo DVD work?  Mine doesn't, and I have been assuming it is a fluke with the DVD.

Marbles

« Reply #14 on: 26 Aug 2003, 11:51 pm »
I just put it in to test it and it seems to work fine.  You must have gotten a bad one.

Guess I have to go get that Gabriel and Herbie Hancock DVD's  8)

bwkendall

Well that figures
« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2003, 12:02 am »
I just put it in to test it and it seems to work fine.  You must have gotten a bad one.

Thanks.  Heh, heh, maybe I'll follow my own advice and clean the DVD, then try again.....but I suspect I got a bad one.  Oh well, I just have to watch it all the way through whenever I play it. :scratch:

Marbles

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2003, 12:11 am »
You could always try skipping forward to your track instead of trying the menu.

pjchappy

DVD
« Reply #17 on: 29 Aug 2003, 04:44 am »
I only have a couple concert DVDs and I have only seen a few more. . . .
my favorite is the David Gilmour Live DVD. . . it is extremely good. .. .I do have a bias.

p