Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer

mcrespo71

Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer
« on: 18 Jun 2007, 04:04 pm »
Anyone seen this yet?  I plan to go, but saw the somewhat crappy reviews.  I saw the last one and it certainly wasn't that great, though I guess I was entertained by it.

RAW

Re: Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2007, 04:38 pm »
Took the 7yr old to see it this weekend.
She thought it was great.
The story line is not bad a few scenes can be done with out threw the film.Other than that I give it a OK but not great.

mjosef

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2007, 04:49 pm »
Its good enough... a little shallow with the story lines but still enjoyable. Wish they had done somethings better (don't want to reveal too much and spoil the fun) with the introduction of the intergalatic being, Galactus.
3 stars. Forget the critics, its better than they made it out to be, or so my comic influenced mind thought.

fajimr

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2007, 05:16 pm »
8 y.o. boy and 13 y.o. girl loved it... I thought it was o.k.  Guess it depends what you want out of a movie.  ;-)

jim

earlmarc

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2007, 05:34 pm »
I enjoyed the movie. Good comedy in between action scenes, something that Spiderman 3 lacked with a boring love drama.

mcrespo71

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2007, 06:44 pm »
Ok, now I'm slightly more excited to see this now.  I love the Silver Surfer as a character, so I was totally looking forward to this.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2007, 08:07 pm »
I assume it will probably suck, but I intend to see it anyways.  I've been a Silver Surfer fanboy for over 20 years, and still have crates of comics (both SS and mags where he appears) in poly bags backed w/acid free backing boards.  I've heard the rumors of a Surfer moving going back to the early 90's, so for better or worse it's finally happened!

mcrespo71

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2007, 08:35 pm »
I assume it will probably suck, but I intend to see it anyways.  I've been a Silver Surfer fanboy for over 20 years, and still have crates of comics (both SS and mags where he appears) in poly bags backed w/acid free backing boards.  I've heard the rumors of a Surfer moving going back to the early 90's, so for better or worse it's finally happened!

Agreed, I'm such a comic fanboy, I'll pretty much see any comic I once read on the silver screen.  The only one I purposely missed was Elektra.

Mightyburner

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2007, 08:50 pm »

Did someone say fanboy?  I guess I'm one too because I have one of these in my statue collection.   :thumb:   Too bad Galactus (in the movie) is reduced to a purple fart.

Bigfish

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jun 2007, 09:00 pm »
I saw it Friday Night.  If you have kids it would be an okay movie for them.  Personally, I did not think it was a bad movie but I guess I would probably recommend waiting for it as a DVD rental.

Ken

PhilNYC

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2007, 09:03 am »
Saw this last night, without having read any reviews and only having seen the trailers.  Thought it was entertaining...not bad!  Did a far better job at mixing the comedy with the drama and action than the first one (which I was not a fan of), and the actor who played Reed Richards didn't annoy me at all in this one (he was one of the main reasons I was not a fan of the first one). 

Overall, this was better than the bad Marvel movies (Ghost Rider, Daredevil), not as good as the best Marvel movies (Spidey 1-2, X-Men 2), and probably among the more entertaining of the rest of them...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2007, 09:08 am »
BTW, the guy that plays Reed Richards seems pretty annoying in the clips, but he was superb as Lancelot in King Arthur (which I really loved).

mjosef

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2007, 09:38 pm »
I like him in Hornblower series also...this was where I first saw him.
The thing that turns me off in the current movies of these old superheros' personas is the tendencies to make them all sound "cool"... which of course make them sound like pussies with the lame dialog.  :lol:

navi

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2007, 09:10 am »
two words that only matter about FF2: Jessica Alba.
it can be a remake of Plan 9 from outer space directed by Uwe Boll but as long as it stars Jessica Alba - i'm watching it!!!

mcrespo71

« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2007, 02:54 am »
Just saw this and thought it was pretty good.  I actually liked it better than Spider Man 3 and a lot more than the first Fantastic 4.  Really quite good.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2007, 03:51 am »
I just saw it last nite, too, and was pleasantly surprised.  Not a masterpeice by any means, and it has some serious flaws, but it was much better than all the reviews and press would have lead me to believe.

Ears

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jul 2007, 11:02 am »
I just saw it last nite, too, and was pleasantly surprised.  Not a masterpeice by any means, and it has some serious flaws, but it was much better than all the reviews and press would have lead me to believe.

I also thought it was better than I was lead to believe...but mostly because of the silver surfer scenes.