5-6k to spend on amp(s) and possible pre-amp, need help with my "shortlist".

yooper

While new here, it appears (for the most part) much better values can be had from purchasing from the "little guys".  I am a believer in this school of thought, as I have recently acquired a pair of Jim Salks HT3's, and couldn't be happier.

So, I am looking to spend 5-6k on amplification.  Out of respect for the ID's here, I don't want to have an X vs XX discussion, but simply recommendations based on your experiences.
Please fire off a pm to me if you have experiences with x vs xx.

I have a Slimdevices Transporter for two channel listening, which will be modded soon, and may buy a TT at a later time as well.

I have to share my HT with two channel, so a pre-amp with HT bypass would be a benefit, but I certainly won't rule out a pre-amp which doesn't have it.

I prefer new (for warranty issues) but still wont rule out used.

As far as hybrids, SS, and tubes, I don't have a definite preference because I don't have enough experiences to rule out anything.

I know opinions will vary greatly, and synergy, room, etc.. have a huge bearing as well.

So, with that said, I am considering Franks AVA Ultra pre and Fet Valve 550 amp, as well as Klaus' Odyssey Mono Extreme SE's and Candela pre.   

What else should I be considering?

Thanks bunches,  :thumb:

Mark

TomS

If I had Salk HT3's, I'd be jumping on that Moscode 401 Zybar has for sale.  Great synergy.  I heard it at Pete's (Big Red Machine) and the combo was delicious.

Charles Calkins

Can't go wrong with one of Frank's pre amps.
The CIA D-200 amps are pretty darn hard to beat in their price range.

Cheers
                                    Charlie

Occam

If possible, you should give Hugh Dean's LF100 poweramp a listen. Typically sold as a preassembled modules on heatsinks, Hugh is moving towards delivery of (and can deliver)  completed units.
AKSA has a vendor circle here -
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=19.0
They punch way above their nominal rating of 100wpc and use one to power my Alon IVs (I actually own 2). If you're in the NYC area, give me a PM.
Like any high end (and cost) purchase, its largely subjective, and I'd strongly recommend listening in your specific environment before purchasing.

arthurs

If I had Salk HT3's, I'd be jumping on that Moscode 401 Zybar has for sale.  Great synergy.  I heard it at Pete's (Big Red Machine) and the combo was delicious.
Yup. It's a no-brainer, IMO.

I've heard the Moscode / Salk combo at my place extensively and it is really excellent...worth very serious consideration...

Rocket

Hi,

You should contact Zybar regarding his moscode amplifier which he has for sale.

It is in as new condition.  There are lots of good quality amps out there for sale.  I've tried the following in my system N.E.W. dc-66 amp and 20.1, Aksa 100 Nirvana Plus, PS Audio HCA - 2, Odyssey Khartago and Son of Ampzilla.

The Son of Ampzilla is the best sounding amplifier in my system and is a product you might consider (its looks are certainly are stand out in my system).

You could also consider a secondhand modwright preamp.  I had the beta version of the preamp and it was a little better than my N.E.W. p3 which is modified.

Good luck with your choices.

Regards

Rod

jermmd

I have the McCormack DNA 500 SS amp with my Transporter and Salk HT3's. I think my system sounds great. George (Zybar) had the McCormack with his HT3's before the Moscode amp and he liked the Moscode better. I trust his ear and i also wouldn't sell my McCormack for less than what he's selling his Moscode for. So, I would strongly consider the Moscode without having heard it and I can unequivically recommend the McCormack which I love. The McCormack is definitely competitive with the very best of solid state amplification.

Audio-den

NUFORCE REF 9V2 AND A NUFORCE APV16 GREAT VALUE FOR THE MONEY  ENJOY AL

Philistine

I run my HT3's from a modified Musical Fidelity KW500, and have no desire to change it (well at least not for the next few months!).
But I have heard the HT3's at Jim's house being powered by one of the AVA Fet Valve amps and preamps, great sound and incredible value  - well worth putting on the list.  I've not heard the Moscode so cannot comment.   

yooper

Just wanted to acknowledge those of you that replied with your suggestions, and say thank you  :thumb:

Some very good suggestions with much to think about.  Doing the research is actually fun, but daunting as well.

I noticed George (Zybar) recently lowered his asking price on the Moscode...hmmm :scratch:

Thanks again boys!

Mark

saisunil

Paul at Tube Research Labs has Transistor Amp ST225 - not listed on his website. According to Paul - this SS amp is better than his 40k+ tube amp. He is not saying his amp is better than other people's amp. According to Paul - this amp will hold its own against any amp at any price. It is sold direct for $4000. He also has a battery powered SS Pre-amp.

His phone number and email are on his site. I happen to happily own some of his stuff.

tuberesearchlabs.com

Cheers
Sunil

yooper

Sunil,

Thanks.  I just attempted to visit his website, but it appears it is down?  I also tried a google, but nothing.  Is it possible his address changed?

Mark