Another YouTube "gotta see" - apologies if already posted

SET Man

Re: Another YouTube "gotta see" - apologies if already posted
« Reply #20 on: 2 Dec 2007, 06:08 am »
Hey!

Yup, heard about that guy. :D And yes that guy could really sing and doing it beautifully. :D

Yeah, I like Simon's reaction too. :lol:  You know if Simon said any bad about that guy singing. I think I will have to call the Brit's Parliament and have them declared him as legally tone deaf or totally deaf. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

rabpaul

« Reply #21 on: 5 Dec 2007, 07:23 am »
I have always stayed away from opera (not understanding the language being the main reason) but this voice can only be described as something else. I have just order his CD and also started to look at some real opera.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #23 on: 7 Dec 2007, 01:10 pm »
I have always stayed away from opera (not understanding the language being the main reason) but this voice can only be described as something else. I have just order his CD and also started to look at some real opera.

Opera isn't easy, absolutely, to appreciate, simply as you 'fessed.  It's foreign because it's in foreign languages (Italian, etc.).  So, if one doesn't know the "plot", he/she'd be lost in no time.  Opera used to be only for the snobbish and well-to-do (that's what them opera goers used to think!).  It's more commonplace now due to the technological revolution.  Where it used to be enjoyed only by the snobs inside La Scala, now it's in the living room because of media promotions.  Then, you got the 3 Amigos (Pavarotti, Carrera, Domingo) on television, then all the copycats...... Opera became (almost) a household word, tho still most people only know of La Donna e Mobile, or now Nessun Dorma, just those catchy songs.  Mr. Potts certainly has the voice (based on just Nessun Dorma).  But, it takes more to be an opera singer outside of singing just arias.  Andre Bocelli tried to make it, but.... he probably will not, not because he can't see.  Singing technique-wise, he's probably not trained that way.  That's why his recent venture into opera (recording) was a mixed bag.  But... what a pretty voice.  Having a beautiful voice requires impeccable singing technique also to make it in an "opera house" vs. in front of a microphone. :drool:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #24 on: 7 Dec 2007, 02:17 pm »
No doubt he has a beautiful voice.  But I think it's more suited for concert stage then an opera stage.  I hope he does better at managing his career than another Welsh singer who started a career with a talent show win, Charlotte Church.  Yes, the same Church with angelic voice and mouth from sewer. 

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #25 on: 7 Dec 2007, 03:47 pm »
No doubt he has a beautiful voice.  But I think it's more suited for concert stage then an opera stage.  I hope he does better at managing his career than another Welsh singer who started a career with a talent show win, Charlotte Church.  Yes, the same Church with angelic voice and mouth from sewer. 

A diamond, or a pearl, in the rough needs culturing, and/or nurturing.  IMHO he first needs more vocal training, the real thing, not just pumping a beautiful voice into the microphone, if he's going to go places.  I could hear the wobbliness in the voice here and there.  That's pushing too hard when the breathing can't keep up.  That's dangerous.  Or was it just the recording engineer's fault?  The opera arena is a lot more brutal in exposing the inadequacies of a voice.  Those who can sing on the stage of an opera house are those who really can sing, not just a pretty voice, or a face.  Many beautiful voices pass faster than a meteor.  The people running the opera houses are high-browed also, tho not as bad as it used to be; that makes it a more brutal business.  Not saying it's less rough in the popular music arena either. :thumb:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 7 Dec 2007, 04:45 pm »
Check out this article http://www.voiceteacher.com/male_voice.html and re-view the video.  He will have to learn to take care of his instrument to continue singing.  I remember hearing Susan Dunn in the early 90s.  It's tragic to hear a voice like that get ruined.  I do wish Paul Potts the best.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 13 Dec 2007, 06:56 pm »
Tickets go on sale on the 14th and 15th for various venues.  Those with Nokia Ticket Rush can order now. 

http://www.livenation.com/artist/getArtist/artistId/624348

Wind Chaser

« Reply #28 on: 13 Dec 2007, 07:21 pm »
Tickets go on sale on the 14th and 15th for various venues.  Those with Nokia Ticket Rush can order now. 

http://www.livenation.com/artist/getArtist/artistId/624348

Good for him, I hope he makes it big time! :thumb:  Can't say that I am that impressed with any of the other reality winners.

jackman

« Reply #29 on: 13 Dec 2007, 07:30 pm »
Surprisingly good voice!  I was tempted to pick up the phone and give him my vote...until I realized he already won!  Very nice, I'll look for his CD.

Before everyone gets too caught up with this guy's voice, he's got a LOOOONG way to go to catch the master:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdTBml4oOZ8&NR=1

I am a new convert to opera and admittedly my knowledge of opera is very limited, but even my inexperienced ears can recognize the greatness in Lociano's voice.  I can't discribe his greatness with words.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2007, 02:11 am by jackman »

Steve

« Reply #30 on: 13 Dec 2007, 11:13 pm »
Wow, must have watched Paul a dozen times. I checked out the facial impressions of the judges before, during, and after.

After Paul starts singing, it took 4 seconds to get Simon's attention, change of expression. Took 8 seconds for the lady, who almost lost it.

Listened to Pov sing the same piece (from the link provided) and couldn't listen past 30 seconds. Just not the intensity, emotions that Paul had. Bravo.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2007, 07:47 am by Steve »

Wind Chaser

« Reply #31 on: 13 Dec 2007, 11:45 pm »
Listened to Pov sing the same piece and couldn't listen past 30 seconds. Just not the intensity, emotions that Paul had. Bravo.

There is something about the humility of Potts that touches humanity and evokes emotion in away that leaves Pavarotti wanting.

In just one brief performance Paul Potts single handedly called the world’s attention to opera.  That is an unprecedented feat untouched by any previous opera singer, including Mr. Pavarotti, who if he had been there, no doubt would have stood in awe with the cheering crowd.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2007, 05:07 pm by Wind Chaser »

Steve

« Reply #32 on: 14 Dec 2007, 12:10 am »
My apologizes if my comments offended anyone.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2007, 05:04 pm by Steve »

jackman

« Reply #33 on: 14 Dec 2007, 02:03 am »
Listened to Pov sing the same piece and couldn't listen past 30 seconds. Just not the intensity, emotions that Paul had. Bravo.

No kidding, it's not like most people haven't heard Pavarotti.  There is something about the humility of Potts that touches humanity and evokes emotion in away that leaves Pavarotti wanting.

In just one brief performance Paul Potts single handedly called the world’s attention to opera.  That is an unprecedented feat untouched by any previous opera singer, including Mr. Pavarotti, who if he had been there, no doubt would have stood in awe with the cheering crowd.

Hey, no offense to Paul, he's a good singer and I enjoyed his performences.  I just posted the Pov stuff because people on youtube were comparing him to the master.  There is absolutely no comparison between the two.  You guys need to put down the crack pipes and clean your ears out because a fat, pasty phone salesman with bad choppers could never hold a candle to the maestro.  There are few singers in the history of mankind who can sing with the emotion of Luciano.   

Like Clint said, "opinions are like a-holes, everyone's got one", and you guys are totally entitled to yours.  I will respectfully disagree on this one.   :D

Cheers,

J

rabpaul

« Reply #34 on: 14 Dec 2007, 04:52 am »
"Its the singer not the song" - Don't know where this quote is from but hearing both Paul and Pavarotti, I would expect them to have their own fans. Its really not fair to compare someone who has taken a few months of opera singing lessons with someone who has been singing for years. I know nothing of opera but the voice and the person who moved me was still Paul.
What has come out of this thread is an interest in opera, I have actually ordered Parsifal, Adriadne Auf Naxos for starters. Paul's CD is in my to buy list and I am still deciding on which Italian operas to get. Any recommendations?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #35 on: 14 Dec 2007, 05:06 am »
Paul's disc - having listened to it a few times I can honestly say I do enjoy it.   Tried the recommended opera links in this thread and made no connection whatsoever at all. :dunno:

Tweaker

« Reply #36 on: 14 Dec 2007, 06:37 am »
Well, there's real opera and then there's opera light, or pop opera. Paul Potts has a fine voice and will be a good ambassador for opera but he's definitely not in the league of Pavoratti. It's as laughable to suggest he is as it would be to suggest Kenny G and John Coltrane are in the same league. However if Kenny G gets you interested enough to further explore Jazz and you discover the Coltranes and Breckers, etc., as a result that's a good thing. Same with Mr. Potts. He has a lot of people interested in opera and as a result many will discover the great operas and opera singers. And others will never move past pop opera singers like Potts, Brightman, and Bocelli just as with my Jazz analogy, many never move beyond Kenny G.
 Unfortunately for Paul I think he's going to be a heavily hyped and marketed commodity for a while and then discarded for the next singing sensation that Simon Cowell can cash in on.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2007, 10:52 am by Tweaker »

nathanm

« Reply #37 on: 14 Dec 2007, 08:22 pm »
No kidding.  I've got Pavoratti's first demo on cassette from my tape trading days.  It's fucking cult!  Photocopied inlay and everything.  I even have a few Pavoratti flyers for the split 7" he did with Impetigo.

JoshK

« Reply #38 on: 14 Dec 2007, 08:45 pm »
Wow, must have watched Paul a dozen times. I checked out the facial impressions of the judges before, during, and after.

After Paul starts singing, it took 4 seconds to get Simon's attention, change of expression. Took 8 seconds for the lady, who almost lost it.

I guess I am just not that cultured, since I too thought Pov's version of the same song got on my nerves and certainly didn't provoke the immediate encapsulation that Pott's version had on me. 

Tweaker

« Reply #39 on: 14 Dec 2007, 09:16 pm »
Paul Potts and Pavarotti:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EBbf3cy_wYM

Paul Potts et al:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vZ8rvjbYG-M

Nessun Dorma is one of the great arias of all time and has been sung magnifico by many, many artists since it was penned, including Mr. Potts.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2007, 09:29 pm by Tweaker »