UcD amp for high efficiency speakers...?

nodiak

UcD amp for high efficiency speakers...?
« on: 14 Jun 2007, 08:40 pm »
What are good UcD solutions for high eff. speakers? The ones I'm using now are rated 95db (Hawthorne SI's), my back ups are ~92db (Hemp 8's as mw in a 2 way).
My experience with both speakers is that a 20 watt integrated amp works well, a 50 watt integrated (gainclone) is overpowering in reference to too much gain too soon on the volume control.
Wondering if different power supply with UcD180 would allow lower output? I'm no tech to know this. I would likely use a low gain tube pre to help the situation.
Seems UcD could come in lower wattage versions?
Thanks, Don 

Kevin Haskins

Re: UcD amp for high efficiency speakers...?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2007, 10:13 pm »
What your noticing on the volume knob is gain, not output power.   You can have 26db of gain on a 10W amp or a 1000W amp and outside of the possibility of clipping the amp, the volume knob will work the same.

Hypex only has three designs and power choices.   Ucd180, UcD400 & UcD700 so your output power is limited by those choices.   You won't have a problem using the UcD180 (90W @ 8 ohm) on even the most sensitive loudspeaker.   I've had them on horns @ nearly 100db/1W/1M and they work just fine.    They have a lot lower background noise than my tube amps.   

nodiak

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jun 2007, 01:35 am »
Thanks Kevin. Low gain pre is my friend.
Don

RAW

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2007, 02:40 am »
I give you a thumbs up for the UCD180 :thumb:
Kevin and I were at CES 2 years ago and I had another set of amps.These other(unnamed) amp's were lifeless and very compressed then add full of a ground noise.

After 3 minutes after we set these other amp's up before the show, I went next door and asked Kevin if he had a extra amp we could use.

"Yes sure just this little UCD180 nothing fancy I just use it for measurments"

Well not sure what to expect we set up the UCD 180 amp with our 88db HT8 speakers.
And the show went on.Great amp this littleUCD180 did very very good.
Well worth the money is all I can say as well you have someone that is a true gent for support. :thumb:

Roeland

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2007, 09:35 am »
I have to use attenuators with my 26dB gain UCd-based Ciaudio D-100's on 90dB efficient speakers... Pre has a gain of 14dB and I have to attenuate 12dB  :o (Scott Endler attenuators have a choice of attenuation steps)

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2007, 04:58 pm »
I give you a thumbs up for the UCD180 :thumb:
Kevin and I were at CES 2 years ago and I had another set of amps.These other(unnamed) amp's were lifeless and very compressed then add full of a ground noise.

After 3 minutes after we set these other amp's up before the show, I went next door and asked Kevin if he had a extra amp we could use.

"Yes sure just this little UCD180 nothing fancy I just use it for measurments"

Well not sure what to expect we set up the UCD 180 amp with our 88db HT8 speakers.
And the show went on.Great amp this littleUCD180 did very very good.
Well worth the money is all I can say as well you have someone that is a true gent for support. :thumb:

Al,

Thanks for the kind words.   Your the first to call me a gentleman though.   

How it sounded might have had something to do with those loudspeakers.   :wink: