ATI Wins Future Xbox Business Away from Nvidia

TheeeChosenOne

« on: 15 Aug 2003, 08:09 am »
http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/030814/tech_ati_microsoft_3.html

Wow!  A major blunder for Nvidia.  ATI is already making chips for the Gamecube.  Now they have the Xbox notch.

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2003, 09:48 am »
The video processor world is dog eat dog.  3Dfx was a better product at one point, but Nvidia was larger and smarter.  Now Nvidia got to big for it's britches and complained and missed a product introduction timeline.  Now they are playing catch up.  I will be buying the X2 no matter what video card company MS uses.  Bill usually gobbles up the best, and right now ATI is that company with the better product. IMHO

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2003, 05:22 pm »
I recently read an article about the Nvidia CEO.

He basically said he might not go forth with future next-gen XBOX chip designs, since it cost his company valuable design resources in the bread-and-butter PC market.  According to him, this led to Nvidia taking a back seat to ATI in the PC segment.

When you add all the ilegal ssues with Microsoft over the Xbox, well that didn't bode well for future business obviously.

The CEO marked his intention to make the PC segment his #1 priority.  Seeing the design talent at Nvidia, I have little doubt they'll have trouble competing with ATI.

Any CEO worth his salt, though, would try to keep juggling both businesses in the air.   Losing XBOX is a MAJOR BLUNDER.  A MAJOR BLUNDER!  The stock price loss is refelctive of this loss of business.

When you take into account that XBOX is hitting its stride and clearly the #2 console in the market, the business loss becomes that more marked.

Microsoft never loses.  They are VERY PERSISTENT.  I would not be surprised seeing their next gen console take the market lead away from PS2.  They've already purchased many of the best game manufacturers.  When you have the games, you get the audience.  And they have the CASH to continue in this manner.