Absorption or diffusion panel in front of my TV...

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
Absorption or diffusion panel in front of my TV...
« on: 13 Jun 2007, 02:05 am »
I have a 50" TV that sits between my front speakers. The speakers are 24" in front of the TV & 18" off to the sides. Here's my question. What panel would do a better job when placed in front of the TV for 2 channel listening? I'm assuming that the TV surface is very reflective & either an absorption or diffusion would help matters some what. I'm leaning more towards absorption but then again what do I know. Does any one else do this sort of thing. I've considered a blanket but have ruled that out. I can place the panel along another wall when in HT mode. Your thoughts!   

Glenn K

Re: Absorption or diffusion panel in front of my TV...
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2007, 11:43 am »
Diffusion is great, but better for the back of the room. I would go with absorption in that area that is 4 or more inches thick.

Glenn

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2007, 02:39 pm »
The speakers are 24" in front of the TV & 18" off to the sides.

That's pretty far away and in front. Are you sure that sound even reaches the TV from the speakers? Why not try a blanket and see if it helps. If it does, then you have your answer. I also agree with Glenn that diffusion is usually better in the rear of the room.

--Ethan

fajimr

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2007, 01:07 pm »
I have a large wooden hutch between my speakers about a foot back.  I do notice a difference when I place a thick blanket on it- really clears things up and provides a darker background for the sound (it's not so bright I find).  The other day I took my DIY first reflection panels and put them in front of the cabinet- I found that there was more detail but I lost the breadth of the soundstage (by loosing the 1st reflection absorption).  It was enough that I will make a set of panels for them later.

so I agree with Ethan (not that I would ever disagree with him  :lol:)....  try a heavy, thick blanket and if it makes a difference then get some absorption panels.

and then let us know what you think
jim