Absorption or diffusion pane in front of my TV...

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
Absorption or diffusion pane in front of my TV...
« on: 12 Jun 2007, 10:40 pm »
I have a 50" TV that sits between my front speakers. The speakers are 24" in front of the TV & 18" off to the sides. Here's my question. What panel would do a better job when placed in front of the TV for 2 channel listening? I'm assuming that the TV surface is very reflective & either an absorption or diffusion would help matters some what. I'm leaning more towards absorption but then again what do I know. Does any one else do this sort of thing. I've considered a blanket but have ruled that out. I can place the panel along another wall when in HT mode. Your thoughts!  :)

gooberdude

Re: Absorption or diffusion pane in front of my TV...
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2007, 11:20 pm »
i keep a thick wool towel over mine... 

but it might be cool to use one of the diffusor panels that are available.   Decware sells one you can assemble & it seems to be a fair price.

there's an ongoing Diffusor thread if look back the last few hours also.

scottielee

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2007, 03:30 am »
i always wanted to try RPG Abfussors in front of my tv. they can be ordered in custom fabric. expensive though...

warnerwh

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2007, 10:12 pm »
I would figure out some sort of absorption. I know it works. Putting a diffuser in the center may leave problems but I don't know for sure. Also absorption not only for sure works but is less expensive.  You could make a panel with feet that stands on it's own with rigid fiberglass so it can easily be moved.  Even a thick blanket isn't a great absorber but far better than nothing.

1000a

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2007, 01:02 am »
second absortion, especially if the room is small - according to Ethan in his tireless effort to help DIYers on his forum.  you might like to check it out:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/24/page/2

loaded with great stuff :D and it seems his idea of a small room is far larger than one would think

pearsall001

• AAD 2001 monitor
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2007, 01:15 am »
second absortion, especially if the room is small - according to Ethan in his tireless effort to help DIYers on his forum.  you might like to check it out:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/24/page/2

loaded with great stuff :D and it seems his idea of a small room is far larger than one would think

My room is 13'x32'x7' (approx. 3000 cubic ft) which is a little on the large size. I e-mailed Ethan on his site & I'm waiting for his response. From what I can gather some recommend diffusion while others recommend absorption. I'll wait to hear back from the pro.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2007, 01:29 am »
Absorbtion in front, diffusion in back.  Ask George (zybar) what happened when he did that.  Not as wide but much more controlled, more focused, better surround field, etc.  Hang on, we'll be introducing a very different diffusion product in a week or 2.

Bryan