Novice question on soaking pcb in alcohol

Ted

Novice question on soaking pcb in alcohol
« on: 9 Jun 2007, 05:16 pm »
Hello there,

I am about to build the Coronet 2 and was wondering if someone might be able to describe in a little bit more detail the process of soaking the pcb in alcohol and then scrubbing.  This I'm sure is a very novice question, but is just the bottom of the board soaked, what about components/sockets etc. getting wet? thanks for any help. (BTW did a search on this and could not find anything.)

SMc Audio

Re: Novice question on soaking pcb in alcohol
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2007, 06:26 pm »
Start with clean, denatured alcohol. All work should be done outside, or in a *very* well-ventilated room. Use caution! - Avoid breathing the fumes as much as possible, and stay away from any open flame or spark source. You may wish to wear rubber gloves, but this is optional if you are just doing 1 or 2 boards. Find a shallow pan or dish (like an aluminum pie pan, for instance) large enough for your circuit board. Place the board in the pan and add enough alcohol to cover the board (you do not have to cover the components). You can let the board soak for a few minutes if you like. Take a medium-small paint brush with fairly soft bristles and work it over the board, dipping it in the alcohol as you go. The idea is to clean off all solder flux residue and any other dirt that may have built-up. Work the brush over the board and around the components until you are satisfied that it is clean. Dump the dirty alcohol and refill the bath with clean. Agitate the board a bit, and finally tip the board up on one edge and dribble a bit of clean alcohol over it to complete the process. Shake off the excess alcohol and leave the board out to dry completely. If you have a source of compressed air (or canned gas) use it to blow-out any sockets or complex parts. When you have completed this process properly, your board should be completely clean, and all solder joints should appear bright and shiny, and free of flux residue. If you find any really hard, stubborn deposits, you can work to remove them with a small tool like a dental pick (or something close). Regular denatured alcohol will not harm your components, but avoid any other solvents like acetone, MEK, etc.

Ted

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2007, 08:08 pm »
Thank you very much, that helps a lot.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2007, 08:19 pm »
How different is denatured alcohol from the bog standard rubbing alcohol you find in drug stores?

Gordy

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2007, 10:33 pm »
Josh, rubbing alcohol is typically 30% water along with the denaturing agent and possibly perfumes etc. as it's intended for topical use.

JoshK

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2007, 10:33 pm »
so where do you get the good stuff?

Gordy

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2007, 10:43 pm »
It's available at any hardware store I would think, it's used for thinning shellac and as a fuel.  It should be about 85% or better ethanol with methanol and maybe another agent to make it undrinkable. 

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2007, 10:53 pm »
How different is denatured alcohol from the bog standard rubbing alcohol you find in drug stores?

Denatured alcohol is methanol (wood alcohol) (45%) and ethyl alcohol (grain alcohol) (45%) along with denaturing agents, making it bad to drink. Other chemicals may be added such as methyl isobutyl keytone, which is not good stuff for drinking, topical use, or cleaning records.

I get 99% alcohol at Safeway, so check out your local grocery first aid section.

analog97

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2007, 03:53 pm »
I have had excellent results using 90% isopropyl alcohol (from any drug store for about $1.00/pint), soaking in about 1" in an aluminum pan, using a 1/2" paint brush, rinsing, then using a hair dryer.  I don't think there is any magic in going beyond this simplistic approach.