later i can afford the LF, but how to

kyrill

later i can afford the LF, but how to
« on: 7 Jun 2007, 09:42 am »
later i can afford the LF, but how to improve the Aksa 55N+ ( or100N+) in the mean time with a C1 and Cx, which can be fitted in the LF as well, when i get that unit?
I mean, it is not wise to buy a 100+ US $ filmcap for the AKSA and then with the arrival of the LF it becomes obsolete. I dont think it is commercially wise to provide a retail LF including caps 30+ US $ a piece. So in the "remarkable" price range of super caps, there will be room for LF mods,no?

For instance can a 4uF DynamiCap used for the C1 of the Aksa also be used for the later acquired LF?

And i have asked the question below before, to induce a horrible shock in Hugh

If you assemble your GK-1 and yr Aksa/LF or if you are intimately knowing the reliability of yr pre amp that it will not have DC out, why bother having an input cap in the poweramp? Paint a dead skull like the pirates have as a symbol on that input so you will not accidently input any other source then you trusted preamp. How clean is the sound of the best most expensive filmcap from here to eternity?

But even then it would be nice to play one day without an input cap, one day only to listen how does the Eternal Mother of all film caps sound like?
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2007, 10:25 am by kyrill »

rabbitz

Re: later i can afford the LF, but how to
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jun 2007, 04:22 pm »
I use a pre without caps in the signal path with my AKSA 55N+, so the little BG NX stays just in case.... besides, it sounds brilliant as designed IMO and wouldn't change a thing.

I have however played with 2 other amps recently without caps, with MKP (Auricap & Mundorf M-Cap), with MKT (bog standard) and NP electrolytics (Nichicon ES). With both amps I preferred the sound with caps in the signal path as they added a flavour which I liked and on one, the NP electrolytic sounded the best. The no cap option lacked life and soul and was quite boring. This was using a test discrete pre amp that also has no caps in the signal path but an LM4780 that's normally used with it (no caps as well) doesn't suffer the same fate and sounds great. There were also input resistor changes tried to the no cap option. The worse sound came from the Auricaps so figure that out as I've had success with those in pre amps.

On other amps it could have completely different results and 1 size does not fit all.... I got a quite a shock with the results.

AKSA

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2007, 10:21 pm »
Hi Kyrill,

Good post - controversial question - ambivalent answer....... :oops:

The input cap on all amps does add colour, just as Rabbitz (Peter) remarks.  Its very existence is thus an opportunity to tweak the sonics.

And I have asked this before to induce a horrible shock in Hugh

So, do go ahead, but I would suggest 0.47uF, certainly not 4uF.  Generally the larger the cap, the worse it gets...... or, another way of putting it, a large cap needs to be very high quality.

The question is, what to get?  Personally, but YMMV, I would use a Sonicap from Jeff Glowacki in Hot Springs AK.  The problem is that all these teflons are rated to 600V, which is about 550V more than you actually need.  You pay a higher price and get a bulkier cap, but what the heck, it works really well.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Hugh

kyrill

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2007, 11:36 am »
nah  old master ;)

The horrible question was to remove altogether the input cap
of the amp apparatus--> that induce a shock in most , if not in all sincere electronic engineers..
ok but a 4 uF of Dynamicap or one of the the other high end filmcap will not harm the LF?
.47 uf will not do for the Aksa55N+, no? At the moment it has much bigger BG little can as internal welcome for visitors..
« Last Edit: 9 Jun 2007, 10:27 am by kyrill »

AKSA

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2007, 01:03 am »
Kyrill,

Now that really does shock me, my friend.  In HIV times you are recommending no protection, hmmm, methinks this is unnecessary risk....... :deadhorse: :bomb: :angel:

I would go with 1uF, not 4uF.  1uF is big enough;  4uF is approximately the size of a hot air balloon....   :nono:

Cheers,

Hugh