Kris' on-wall HT1's

jsalk

Kris' on-wall HT1's
« on: 5 Jun 2007, 12:50 am »
Kris already had a pair of HT3's, an HT1 for a center channel and a pair of HT1's for the rears.  But she bought a new house and the great room was wired for in-wall speakers.

So she needed a pair of speakers that could be mounted on a wall.  Since we had done just such a pair for Randy Bessinger's surround speakers, I suggested a pair of on-wall HT1's.  Basically the same as a standard HT1, the baffles are slanted down slightly and the baffle step compensation is reduced (since the on-wall application does not require full baffle step compensation.

Here is a shot of the fronts...

Here is a shot from the side.  You can see how the front baffle is slanted...

By the way, these are not stand-mounted speakers.  We just used the stands for the photos.

Happy listening Kris!

- Jim
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2007, 01:31 am by jsalk »

Woodsea

Re: Kris' on-wall HT1's
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2007, 01:17 am »
Those are sweet. 

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 31 Dec 2008, 07:44 pm »
Jim,

What are the dimensions on those speakers?  How do you mount those?  Do these have to be at the sides of the audience, or would they work well even slightly behind the audience?  What is the cost relative to the HT1s?  Would these be recommended in lieu of the bi/dipoles?

I'm trying to see if these would fit my room (at least for the sides of the room; the back will be HT1s).

Best regards,

Bob

jsalk

« Reply #3 on: 31 Dec 2008, 08:37 pm »
Bob -

Jim,

What are the dimensions on those speakers? 

They are 18" wide, 15" tall and are about 10" deep on the top and 6" deep on the bottom end.

How do you mount those? 

They are mounted with what's called a french cleat.  If you can imagine a 5" board ripped lenghtwise at 45 degrees.  One piece is glued to the top inside rear of the cabinet which is inset 3/4" so it is flush with the rear edges.  Another piece is bolted to the wall.  When the speaker is placed over the section on the wall, the two 45 degree angles engage and pull the speaker to the wall, mounting it securely.  This is basically a technique used by cabinet makers to hang cabinets.  It works quite well. (I hope that made sense.)

Do these have to be at the sides of the audience, or would they work well even slightly behind the audience?

You would place them just as you would with any surround speakers except that they are designed to be mounted higher on the wall pointing down toward the listening position.  If you wanted them lower on the wall so that the tweeters would be positioned just above ear level, you would not need the slanted baffle and we would simply build a similar cabinet with a straight front panel.

What is the cost relative to the HT1s?

The same price.  The cabinets are slightly more difficult to build, but we don't charge extra for them.

Would these be recommended in lieu of the bi/dipoles?

Yes.  You obviously would not have the dipole effect of a very diffuse soundfield.  But you would have pinpoint imaging of sounds panned around the room - something you do not get with a dipole speaker.  For home theater use, I happen to prefer direct radiating speakers all around.  That way you maintain precise imaging throughout the entire sound field.

I hope this helps.

- Jim

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2009, 04:01 pm »
Those are really cool looking.  Is there a SongSurround version of that with the slanted baffle?

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2009, 05:24 pm »
Nuance -

Those are really cool looking.  Is there a SongSurround version of that with the slanted baffle?

Currently there is not.  A slanted cabinet is more difficult and labor intensive to build.  So I am not sure if it would be cost justified or not (it would probably add about $200 to the cost of a pair).  But this is a decision for the marketplace to make.  If people want them, we will certainly build them.

- Jim

ctviggen

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2009, 06:00 pm »
Jim,

Thank you for the information.  I went down and measured my room, which is currently in a state of deconstruction.  I have certain constraints in this room, and I'd like your opinion on this.  I believe the second row of seats will be about 8-10 feet behind the first row, depending on where the first row ends up.  I can either approximately align these speakers with the first row (about 8-10 feet in front of the second row), or put them about three feet behind the first row (about 5-7 feet in front of the second row).  Which position would be preferable?  I will be using 7 speakers: two in front, one center, two on the sides, and two in the rear.

I think I've decided to get four of these, although it'll be a while before I finish the room and can save to have them built. 

Also, if the wife balks at wood colored cabinets (which I don't think she will, but I'll ask anyway), do you have any tips for blending these into the walls?  For instance, is there such a thing as a paintable front baffle or colored screening, which I could then put on the wall, too?

Thanks,

Bob

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2009, 07:21 pm »
Seating should be driven by the size of the screen and the source used.  Then you adjust the speakers accordingly. 

WHat size screen?  A projector?  How many lumens?  ALso you should set up to be viewing the bottom 1/3 of the screen when looking straight on level.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

After all that, try to keep the back row off the back wall, which it sounds you are trying to do.  I'd shoot for 5 or 6 feet minimum from the back row ears to the back wall if going 7.1.  Don't forget when the second row reclines that their feet will need to clear the reclined first row heads.  Takes about 8 feet for that on a riser.

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2009, 09:29 pm »
Nuance -

Currently there is not.  A slanted cabinet is more difficult and labor intensive to build.  So I am not sure if it would be cost justified or not (it would probably add about $200 to the cost of a pair).  But this is a decision for the marketplace to make.  If people want them, we will certainly build them.

- Jim
Thank you.  When I order the SongSurround's they'll likely be mounted on the wall.  I will probably go with a top ported design, though (those were top ported SongSurrounds and not HT1's, right?). 

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2009, 09:37 pm »
Thank you.  When I order the SongSurround's they'll likely be mounted on the wall.  I will probably go with a top ported design, though (those were top ported SongSurrounds and not HT1's, right?). 

I don't know which you are referring to, but we have done top ported SongSurrounds as well.  By the way, we should be finishing up an LCY version of the SongCenter in the next week or so.  I'll post details when complete.

- Jim

Nuance

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2009, 03:20 am »

I don't know which you are referring to, but we have done top ported SongSurrounds as well.  By the way, we should be finishing up an LCY version of the SongCenter in the next week or so.  I'll post details when complete.

- Jim
Really?  Excellent!  What's the price difference?  I look forward to getting more information.

Kris

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jan 2009, 06:09 am »
Can these be used as stereo speakers on stands? (with a sub). I've  always liked wide baffle speakers.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2009, 03:01 pm »
I'm sure they will sound fine--but not quite as fine as a regular HT1 with the narrower baffle.   That very wide baffle introduces diffraction dips that can't be completely eliminated by a passive crossover.  As a result, the wide version will have a slightly more diffuse sound--which could be a plus for surround duty, but not for main left-right musical chores.