Bargain Speakers for a Small Room

decryption

Bargain Speakers for a Small Room
« on: 30 May 2007, 10:51 am »
Looking for a small pair of speakers, to go with a Trends Audio TA-10 amp.
Budget is around AU$250-300.
I like rock/alternative music, if that helps.

Thanks dudes :)

Russell Dawkins

Re: Bargain Speakers for a Small Room
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2007, 08:13 pm »
these might work if you could fit them in (DIY but simple and would keep shipping costs low to Australia):

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zigmahornet/zigmahornet.html

...and if you want more bass and have the room space, then these:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/bfb_e.html

big bang for small bucks and small amps!

robert1325

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2007, 08:41 pm »
WOW ,  both look like very interesting projects...   I may try the zigmahornet this summer  :wink:

Brad

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2007, 10:22 pm »
Thanks for the links Russell. 8) :thumb:

That Zigmahornet looks pretty darn cool.  I also have a Trends that this would match quite well.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2007, 10:52 pm »
The Trends is a very nice, but quite small amp (so you'll need highly efficient speakers).  Small and efficient are pretty mutually exclusive (according to the laws of physics).  Adding relatively cheap makes your proposition nearly impossible.  Hopefully your room is small or you're not looking for rock concert sound pressure levels.  Ideally you'd want speakers that will be at least 95 dB/w/m efficient at 8 ohms and have a flat in room frequency response down to at least 60 Hz.

Hawthorne Silver Iris speakers aren't exactly small (15 inch diameter coaxially design) but they deliver a big sound and go down to 40 Hz (good for rock) plus they're very efficient.  They require almost no cabinet (just about anything to hold them in position as they're designed to work with only a small open baffle.  Current cost is about $150 USD/pair.  These are very well built and fairly forgiving of poor feeding, but aren't friendly of rough environments (pets, kids, frat parties, etc.) since there's no box or grill for protection.

Another not so tiny, but efficient and relatively cheap rock monitor is the 2 Pi (Pi Speakers).  About $120 USD/pair for the bits, you'd have to come up with your own cabinets.  But the good news is that a tower version is available that will take bass a bit lower and can be made from 12 inch and 16 inch pre-finished shelving. 

Lots more options if you're willing and able to build your own speakers.  Check out madisound.com for more ideas.

Both of these vendors have their own website and forums.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2007, 11:05 pm »
Hawthorne Silver Iris speakers aren't exactly small (15 inch diameter coaxially design) but they deliver a big sound and go down to 40 Hz (good for rock) plus they're very efficient.  They require almost no cabinet (just about anything to hold them in position as they're designed to work with only a small open baffle.  Current cost is about $150 USD/pair.  These are very well built and fairly forgiving of poor feeding, but aren't friendly of rough environments (pets, kids, frat parties, etc.) since there's no box or grill for protection.

Probably a great choice, and the one I'd go for (I forgot about Hawthorne) but they are $145 each.

Brad

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2007, 11:19 pm »
Yep - the Hawthornes are around $300/pair
They have a new 10" coax that might work for you. 8)
Roughly the same pricing as the 15", doesn't go quite as low or loud, but can work in a smaller baffle.

Building it yourself (whichever way you go) might take a lot of the shipping cost out for you.

My Hawthornes are great for rock, but they aren't SMALL, which was one of your requirements.

freo

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2007, 12:10 am »
Why not try pi speakers, they are very efficient and their pi 2 kits are good value, Regards Roger

decryption

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2007, 12:16 am »
these might work if you could fit them in (DIY but simple and would keep shipping costs low to Australia):

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/zigmahornet/zigmahornet.html

...and if you want more bass and have the room space, then these:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/bfb_e.html

big bang for small bucks and small amps!

Thanks for that Russell! Those Zigmahornets look sweet. Where can I get the kit and instructions from?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2007, 04:05 am »
There is an email address at the bottom of the article, but googling Zigmahornet produces a ton of references. Notice that the driver has changed since the first mention in 2002, also note that this is not for loud reproduction.

From what I've read, I'd go with the Hawthorne if you can afford them. You can be up and running faster, too, with an open baffle!

robert1325

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2007, 03:25 pm »
These hawthornes go extremely loud!   

acresm22

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2007, 04:07 pm »
Might want to consider Tekton Design, as there have been some very positive remarks on these from other AC inmates.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tekton-Design-Fostex-4-5-inch-Full-Range-Speakers_W0QQitemZ250119967054QQihZ015QQcategoryZ14991QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Brad

« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2007, 04:10 pm »
Heck, you can place the hawthornes on their shipping boxes, tilt them back a little, and get really good sound.
I listened to mine like that for 2 months before putting them in baffles.

I met Wayne Parham of PiSpeakers at the LoneStarAudio Fest - great guy!  Very brave to bring wife/kids to an audio fest.