My new OB centerchannel speaker

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
My new OB centerchannel speaker
« on: 30 May 2007, 06:02 am »
Just couldn't resist using those EXCELLENT-and-inexpensive Sonic Craft 6-1/2"ers in a CC system.  My main systems...

...are linearrays, but the CC is an MTM using my 1st high-quality ribbon tweeter, an Aurum Cantus G2.  The MR/treble crossover is passive (2.5K 2nd-order lo-pass and 2.5K 1st-order hi-pass).

The other 4 6-1/2ers are 'woofers', driven with bass-only and filtered by my trusty ol' Dahlquist LP-1 (50Hz, 3rd-order) and with no other equalization.  Both ends are driven by the Outlaw 770.

Sounds VERY good so far.  I expect well-defined, solid-sounding bass well into the bottom octave from all my speakers, and if I equalize these 4 a bit more I can achieve that, but only at lower levels, so probably I'll add 4 more of these drivers to the bottom.  My wife calls me Mr. Excess for good reason!

Anyone have a single mono SET of about 50 Watts they want to sell?

Anthony

• Sound-A/V
Re: My new OB centerchannel speaker
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2007, 12:18 pm »
Cool.  Looks good.

After break-in, any chance we can see some more pics and maybe a sweep or two (from the listening position)?

Also, nice Flexy-Rack.  I've built several over the years.  It really is the most flexible design for equipment (which always seems to be changing) :)

Good work!

AC

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2007, 02:57 pm »
More nice work, how will I ever keep up!

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2007, 05:34 pm »
Anthony: "Also, nice Flexy-Rack."  TY.  "I've built several over the years.  It really is the most flexible design for equipment (which always seems to be changing)."  Indeed.  

I built mine with 1" screwstock, 7/8" SAE flatwashers (with holes enlarged, a project all by itself), and jam nuts, and 4 shelves*.  Used a 1" speed-bore bit to drill the 1" holes, and I was too lazy to build a jig for locating and drilling the holes.  As a result, the holes were slightly misaligned and the shelves fit so tightly on the verticals, I needed a hammer to move them.   :duh:  When I added the 5th shelf, I used a 1-1/8" speedbore bit and redrilled all the other holes.  Now the shelves slide up and down.

Also drilled and tapped the bottoms of the verticals 3/8"-NC for these spikes...

...from Michael Percy, so it's anchored really solidly to the concrete floor.

And yes, if I can figure out how to correctly take and average some third-octave plots from my phonics AA2, I'll post some.

I'm considering wiring the to-be-8 woofers in parallel/series for TWO Ohms for the additional sensitivity, so I won't have to drive them with much Voltage**.  If my amp can push 12-1/4 Amps continuously into 4 Ohms***, it'll push that much safely into 2 Ohms.  We'll find out!

* All shelves are by TimberNation--2"-thick, 23 by 17", maple.
** I'm using all but about 2dB of gain of the Dahlquist filter.
*** That's from its 300WPC-into-4 rating.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2007, 11:36 pm by jeffreybehr »