Feeding Almarro A205A from a Modwright SWL9.0SE

dspringham

Feeding Almarro A205A from a Modwright SWL9.0SE
« on: 29 May 2007, 08:50 pm »
I'm considering running an Almarro A205A with Cain Abbys - understand that this is avery nice combination.

However, the Almarro does not have a remote volume control option. I'm wondering about feeding the line level inputs to the Almarro from my Modwright SWL9.0SE which would provide the remote function.

Any comments on this type of arrangement? Would the sonic attributes of the Almarro be compromised in any way or would it just be similar to feeding line level inputs from a CD player with an internal volume control.

I realize that this is a redundant set-up, but I prefer to have the convenience of a volume remote control. Also I have other amps that I run from the Modwright with other speakers/systems. The A205A would strickly be for use with the Abbys.

Also, anyone with experience on an Almarro A318A. I think the A205A would be a better choice for the Abbys but the A318A (with higher output power) would be more versatile for use with other speakers.

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dave

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Feeding Almarro A205A from a Modwright SWL9.0SE
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2007, 02:24 am »
Hello Dave,
 While I cannot comment on the 318/Abby combination, I can tell you that I have run the ModWright through the 205A many times. One of my test systems I use to test the 205 after modifications is feed by a ModWright (now the SWLP tube rectified) and rather than reconnecting my sources to the Almarro, I simply take on of the outputs from the ModWRight and run it into the Almarro.
 It provides a very nice presentation and if you like it enough to use this setup primarily, you can have the volume control eliminated from the Almarro and have it run as a power amp. I have three customers out there running this exact combination and they are very happy with it.