Interconnect for preamp to amp?

geowak

Interconnect for preamp to amp?
« on: 29 May 2007, 03:44 pm »
Ok audio gurus...
Who has found a good interconnect cable for your preamp to amp?
I am using Odyssey Stratos and Candela? Current cable is AR.
This is a general or specific equipment question. Any recommendations are welcome,
but I am not looking for anything over $100 or (1 meter in length)

Thanks

dangerbird

Re: Interconnect for preamp to amp?
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2007, 03:55 pm »
Groneberg,MIT T-2,Signal Cable are the ones I've had success with.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2007, 04:07 pm »
audio art ic-3 @ $99 for a meter.

sirquack

• PorterPlex Cinema
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2007, 06:35 pm »
Don't spend tons of money on cables, just my 2 cents.  I've purchased most of my interconnects from monoprice.com including 25ft HDMI/DVI cables for my projector and could not be happier.

mcullinan

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2007, 07:54 pm »
 :D Check this site out for no nonsense quality cables. http://www.bluejeanscable.com/
I sought the site out through reviews and fear of paying $400 meter of cable to achieve HQ.
Mike

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2007, 09:34 pm »
I run primarily Blue Jeans cable. Their LC-1 are quite good. I also have DH Labs in some spots and they are also good value for the money. The Audio Art cables were designed by DH Labs.

Vr3

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2007, 12:59 am »

DogWizard

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2007, 01:29 am »
Another vote for the Bluejeans cables - they are well made using quality materials and won't kill your budget. I also like the Outlaw PCA's as another reasonably priced alternative.

jose

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2007, 02:53 am »
Yet another vote for Blue Jeans Cable.

Sigfreed

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2007, 11:32 am »
I think the VH Audio Pulsar is fantastic if you can find it used.That should be right in the ballpark of $100 or less.I am definitely in the camp of "cables do make a difference".I hear the difference everytime i swap out a different IC.I could of lived with the Pulsar but upgraded to the more expensive Acoustic Zen Matrix ll's for my system.If your system is resolving enough then don't totally skimp here is my 2 cents.knee bone connected to the etc........... :wink:

weirdo

« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2007, 01:01 pm »
I vote for Anti-Cable IC at about 100.00 mtr.pr. with standard connectors. I found them better than audioquest diamondback.
very neutral and organic sounding. I feel good cables are important in my system. A good current value IMO. I think it is possible to end your cable search at the 100.00 price point. 

If you want cheap however, I found the Knuconceptz Crystal totally acceptable at about 10.00 pr. for 1 meter. I have them in my bedroom system. Have not tried blue jeans but the folks here rave.   there was another thread recently assessing an rg59 based IC that was just a few dollars and the reviewer thought it was quite good.

its good that you have a spending limit. You will do quite well at your price point. good luck.   

Lkdog

« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2007, 04:52 pm »
Lots of suggestions here, which are all good I am sure.

I am of the belief that power cords are more important than IC's. If you are not getting an initial clean and full transfer of current to your units, you are starting off with a handicap. I have dedicated lines and even with that I can hear the difference in better power cords much easier than with IC's.

I have tried and used a variety of IC's that range from $50- $1000 in my setup and most IC's I have tried do an excellent job.
Can't say I have heard a "bad" IC.

I presently use RS Audio Silver and Illume cables.

http://www.rscables.com/

Good Luck.

« Last Edit: 31 May 2007, 02:19 pm by Lkdog »

rlmacklin

« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2007, 07:00 pm »
geowak,

I am using Grover S ICs between my Modwright SWL 9.0 Signature linestage preamp
and Odyssey Monoblock Extreme SE amps (and throughout rest of my system).
I highly recommend the Grover S.
These run in neighborhood of $150 for a 1-meter pair.

You can contact Grover Huffman by e-mail at      groverhuffman@hotmail.com

There are some reviews of these over on Audio Nervosa forum 
http://www.audionervosa.com/

(and comparisons vs. various other ICs, including the comparably-priced VH Audio Pulsar, and way-more expensive Stealth Indras & JPS Aluminatas).  There were some pairs of these going around to different forum members for audition prior to ordering for a group buy (first of which has occurred already).
A second group buy of Grover ICs is upcoming.  I think they reached enough orders in the first one to get a discount of 30% or so of the normal price.  Some of the first round buyers have posted very positive reviews and they and others plan to get more in the second round group buy which has not occurred yet.

Previous versions of Grover ICs prior to S were called SR and UR and those had many reviews on Head-Fi and Steve Hoffman forums.

rlmacklin

geowak

« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2007, 07:53 pm »
Thanks for the input-
I guess I am leaning toward these three.
1 Bluejeans cables
2 Signal Cables
3 Zebra Cables

They seem to fit nicer into my budget. Need to find more info on the
Zebra cables, they look to be made well.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #14 on: 30 May 2007, 10:22 pm »
Most of these cables mentioned will work,  I think.
It's always an organic experience with that "synergy" thing anyway,  and you would have to try all of them side by side in your system,  and with your choice of software,   etc.  Nothing new to tell you here,  I guess,  but I  also believe that this decision is even easier,  and I just had to comment:

Groneberg Series III  IC's.  With the Audio Selection connectors they are $ 75. / meter pair.
It's the same identical material as with the Quattros,  and that's wht we have inside all of our amps and pre's,  so,  on the cable side it's essentially an extension of the electronics.  On top of that,  all Gronebergs are very, very sweet and natural on the top,  and also very "emotional",  however you want me to define that.

Late,

Klaus

stearnsn

« Reply #15 on: 30 May 2007, 10:24 pm »
I've had really good luck with Alpha Core Goertz Triode Quartz Silver IC's in that price range (used).  They provide really good transients and detail without being overly "bright" like some silver cables.  The soundstage depth and width were also improved for me with these IC's.  The overall impression I get is was that they have very little character of their own and they just let your system do what is does so don't expect to "tune" the system with these.  I rarely see them come up for sale (that might mean something) but you should be able to find some in your price range here or on audiogon.

IMHO they are an amazing bargain.

Tip, buy a few different ones used and the ones you don't like as well you can sell for close to what you paid.  Also, the cable company (and many dealers) will allow you to audition and keep the ones you like.

lazydays

« Reply #16 on: 31 May 2007, 12:07 am »
Most of these cables mentioned will work,  I think.
It's always an organic experience with that "synergy" thing anyway,  and you would have to try all of them side by side in your system,  and with your choice of software,   etc.  Nothing new to tell you here,  I guess,  but I  also believe that this decision is even easier,  and I just had to comment:

Groneberg Series III  IC's.  With the Audio Selection connectors they are $ 75. / meter pair.
It's the same identical material as with the Quattros,  and that's wht we have inside all of our amps and pre's,  so,  on the cable side it's essentially an extension of the electronics.  On top of that,  all Gronebergs are very, very sweet and natural on the top,  and also very "emotional",  however you want me to define that.

Late,

Klaus

You know as well as I do that no matter whatkind of cable we use (or build) that it is only as good as the connectors we use. I see this on the backside of various pieces of equipment, and sometimes it makes the hair standup on my head (well what little there is). When I ordered cables my Klaus, I spec WBT connectors for a reason. They fit right, and don't ever seem to come loose. Plus I think they produce a better sound (as you've pointed out with your statement about an extention. Still I'd sorta like to give the Eichman Bullets a try just to get the afterthought off my mind.
gary

dangerbird

« Reply #17 on: 31 May 2007, 01:23 am »
+1 for the WBT's

Danberg

« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2007, 02:46 am »
Another suggestion (make that a VERY STRONG suggestion) make sure to use the same manufacturers cable from your source to your pre-amp as from our preamp to your amp.   Anything other than doing that will give you the worst sound than you can imagine.

Several years ago I auditioned over two dozen different cables and the only certainty I experienced over and over was a poor sound when hooking different brands between my source to pre-amp, than preamp to amp.  Different price point cables by the same manufacturer was OK.  Different cable manufacturer from the amp to speakers was OK IMO.

After several months of auditioning those cables I found to my ears that I liked the quick / open sound of Nordost.  Purchased used on Audiogon.  A bit pricey though.  I judged as a good value for me as I really found their sound to be the closest to my liking.