PMC TLE-1 subwoofer remote trigger operation?

grsimmon

• Restricted
  • Omni - the best way forward
PMC TLE-1 subwoofer remote trigger operation?
« on: 28 May 2007, 09:28 pm »
I just purchased a TLE-1 sub;   I understand all the functions except for one - the remote trigger function / operation.

Wondering if anyone out there had or has this sub and hooked up the remote trigger.  I've read the manual several times but can't make sense of this function.   Is it a device of some sort I can buy at Radio Shack,  hardware store, etc.?  What, exactly,  gets connected to what and where?  I have a Bryston BP-25 preamp and don't think there is any kind of output for this sort of thing.   Thanks for any info. or instructions.   

brucek

Re: PMC TLE-1 subwoofer remote trigger operation?
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2007, 09:53 pm »
I have a Bryston BP-25 preamp and don't think there is any kind of output for this sort of thing

The BP25 uses the MPS-1 power supply. It has a remote trigger output of +12 volts. Check the BP25 manual under External Power Supply and Remote Turn-On.

Connect two wires from the MPS-1 to the +12 volt trigger input of the TLE1 sub and it will turn on when the BP25 turns on....

brucek

grsimmon

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2007, 11:02 pm »
Unfortunately,  I don't think that will work.   The rear trigger port on the TLE-1 uses a mono plug ac/dc input,  the kind that is similar to an answering machine or cell phone recharger transformer plug, not the kind that accepts wires for insert & screw down that come out of the Bryston power supply.

brucek

« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2007, 11:16 pm »
Either construct your own cable by buying an appropriate connector at Radio Shack and attach the two wires to the two terminals of the connector (it's only DC, so any wire will do).

Or purchase a premade cable with the correct connector on one end and cut the connector off the other end and strip back the two wires.

brucek

grsimmon

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2007, 11:23 pm »
Aha - great idea;  thank you very much!

onthefly

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2007, 05:40 pm »
When your sub is up and running I would be very interested in it's performance and your views. :drool:

grsimmon

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2007, 02:29 am »
I have the remote trigger hooked up,  and so far my opinions are very positive.   I think the design was very well thought out,  on many levels (great user controls,  great amplifier and crossover sections,  using 2 small drivers instead of one big one, high wife-approval factor because of small footprint,  and of course the use of transmission line).    It sounds great.  And for my purposes,   I don't need a sub that will fill a large hall with LFE,  so the overall  output/volume is more than enough.   I can't believe how little press coverage / reviews there are for this sub.    Right now I have it paired with some Paradigm Active 20's, and man,  to my ears anyway,  it just sounds great.