Integrated amp for 626R under 1k?

jasonc

« on: 11 Aug 2003, 05:49 pm »
Does anyone have any experiences with the Jolida's Integrated Amps with the VMPS line?  Thinking of substituting for the 626's, the Arcam for a Jolida JD 302b that I could also modify down the line.

jackman

« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2003, 07:45 pm »
Hi Jason,

You might want to check with Dave Ellis.  He bought an inexpensive Jolida and modded it to great success.  He said it was more than capable of driving the 1801's which are not as efficient as the 626's.  I don't know what he did to the amp, but he's not one to overstate results.  If I recall, it was one of their lower models.  Tyson and Pez have raved about tubes and the 626rm's.  It seems the 626's love tubes.

J

Mathew_M

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2003, 10:38 pm »
Pick up a used AMC 1030s tube pre though make sure it is working properly.  A lot of them floating around are flaky.  Match it up with a pair of Norh Le Amps and you'll have a pretty musical setup for less than $900.

meilankev

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2003, 10:49 am »
Jason,

I had a couple of friends bring over a Jolida hybrid integrated amp last year to try out on my RM40s.  If I remember right, it was ~ 70WPC.

Keep in mind, my listening room is pretty small (16'W x 15'D x 8'H).  However, the Jolida drove my speakers very well.  Compared to all other amps I've heard in my system (I own tube monoblocks plus I've tried 3 big SS brutes), the Jolida was certainly lacking in deep bass, but was very musical and dynamic.

From this, I would expect this amp to be able to drive smaller VMPS speakers just fine (with 2 caveats): you're not a stickler for the deep bottom end, and you're not trying to fill a lot of air with music.

Kevin

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 22 Aug 2003, 06:00 am »
The $450ea (list, contact for discount) Cabridge Audio from England is great.  Problem is no remote source switching &/or mute.  Other than that, no caveats at all.  It simply sounds great on the RM1, & plenty of power even in a pretty huge room.