New V3 "Monster" Center Channel

jsalk

New V3 "Monster" Center Channel
« on: 27 May 2007, 01:28 pm »
As some of you may know, Pete (Big Red Machine) put on a get-together last January featuring both 2-channel set-ups (including his new HT3's) and his home theater.  We brought our new V3's to the gathering, as it was a good opportunity to get some feedback.  After it was all over, we were too tired to load up the V3's, so I left them there and asked Pete to try them out in his home theater.

While my intention was only to get some feedback on the new design, Pete ended up ordering a pair (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=39021.0).  But he needed a center channel to match and wanted a full-range 3-way.  So we took advantage of the opportunity to pull out all the stops and went to work.

Here is a pic of the prototype V3 Monster Center Channel...

This center channel was designed specifically for front-projected home theater applications.  It is LARGE - approximately 36" wide, 14" tall and 14" deep.  It is side ported on both ends so it can be placed flush against the front projection wall.

The center portion of the cabinet is sealed and features the same drivers as the V3's - the LCY pure ribbon tweeter and a 4" Visaton midrange driver.

The two woofer sections on either side are ported and feature 7" Visaton drivers.

Here is a side view...

We are just finishing up Pete's center channel (to match his V3's) and will be posting pics in the next few weeks.

- Jim

« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2007, 02:03 am by jsalk »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: New V3 "Monster" Center Channel
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2007, 02:22 pm »
Jim,

Fantastic!!

How much does the speaker weigh?

What are some of the specs?

How much does it cost?

George

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2007, 03:18 pm »
George -

Jim,

Fantastic!!

How much does the speaker weigh?

What are some of the specs?

How much does it cost?

George

We have not weighed it yet and no longer have access to this particular cabinet.  It presently serves as a center channel for Dennis Murphy's new home theater setup.  I am not certain about the weight, but I would guess about 70 pounds. As soon as we finish Pete's center channel, I will post the actual weight.

Here is a plot of the FR...

The frequency response is roughly 38Hz - 40KHz +/- 3db.  The speaker is a nominal 4-ohm load.

The price will start at $2295.00 finished like this prototype with black satin cabinets that feature a veneered front baffle.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 27 May 2007, 05:31 pm by jsalk »

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2007, 03:42 pm »
And many thanks to Jim for the beautiful cabinet.  It's a perfect match for two humongo half-pyramid left and right mains that Dave Ellis built for me.  They have an upper section that is essentially an 1801 (which uses the W18 and 0W1 tweet), and a bottom section with a 12" sealed driver crossed over using the HT receiver subwoofer network.  The center channel tonal character matches very well and shouldn't be viewed as a dedicated V3 unit.  The two Visaton 7" woofs provide strong response down to the mid 30's, although it's still not quite clear to me why this is necessary in a center channel.  The on-axis response is voiced down a bit in the upper midrange and lower highs, due to the very broad dispersion of the 4" midrange.   A flat response would produce too much "blare," which is not a good thing in a center channel, or any other speaker for that matter.  Tony Soprano sounds really scary on these things, I so guess they're pretty accurate.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2007, 08:57 pm »
Very cool center!