My 3B-SST overheated

Mag

My 3B-SST overheated
« on: 26 May 2007, 04:05 pm »
My 3B-SST overheated for first time last night. It wasn't clipping at all then the right led light went yellow and the sound quit. So I shut the power off and waited a few minutes and powered it back up and it still worked, wheew. The unit was very hot to the touch, and you could cook your finger on it.
  I was on my third album playing hard rock previously. This album was Klaus Shultze X remastered. This was the first time I played it on my new player. The bass was more articulated with low synth bass freq., dynamic and loud A demanding workout for any speaker let alone an amp.
  I'll have to get some kind of small fan and place it beside the unit to help cool it down.  :|

Levi

Re: My 3B-SST overheated
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2007, 05:24 pm »
Looks like you are rockin' it :thumb:  Nevertheless, they are designed to rock!

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2007, 05:38 pm »
I figure I'm running a 4 ohm load through the 3B-SST. But having it overheat is probably due to the synth wavs. Years ago a had an early model Korg synth hooked through a Fisher reciever. Distorting the waves with that I fried something in the receiver. But I've played this album many times without incident only thing different this time is the player.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2007, 09:32 pm »
I figure I'm running a 4 ohm load through the 3B-SST. But having it overheat is probably due to the synth wavs. Years ago a had an early model Korg synth hooked through a Fisher reciever. Distorting the waves with that I fried something in the receiver. But I've played this album many times without incident only thing different this time is the player.

What speakers?  A few yrs. back I got a (lightly used) 6BSST and used it on the front 3 channels (Thiel 7.2s for the left and right, MCS1 center) for a few mos. and then got a (lightly used) 14BSST for the left and right and use the 6BSST for the center and rears.  On demanding movies or music for 20+ minutes (in a very large room with 19 ft. ceiling) the 14BSST would shut down, mostly one channel.  I built a custom amp stand with fans and it has been fine as long as I use the fans.

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2007, 01:13 am »
It's powering 2 Paradigm Studio 100 v2 and 2 Studio 20 v3.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2007, 05:34 am »
Powering 2 pair of 8 ohm speakers?  If so, that will tax most amps if you play it loud enough and long enough.

b5pt9

« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2007, 02:37 pm »
Check out the impedance curve of the Studio 20's (second graph from the bottom in the link below), looks like around 4 ohms in the 200hz range.  The Studio 100's may be similar or worse, so driving both speakers in parallel may be actually 2 ohms or less load seen by the amp. 

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/paradigm_studio20_v3/

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2007, 04:38 pm »
Powering 2 pair of 8 ohm speakers?  If so, that will tax most amps if you play it loud enough and long enough.

That's why I buy quality whenever possible, you never regret buying quality. And the SST is a quality amp.
I've been using the 3B-SST in this configuration for over 2 years and never encounter a problem.  I have two other Bryston amps that I am using for my other speaker duty. But I want the same sonic characteristics coming from the 20s and 100's in my setup.
I suppose I should get a 2B-SST for the 20s to be on the safe side, but I'm cash strapped at this time.  :(
Another factor that may be causing to 3B-SST to run hot. Is I have an equalizer hooked to it where I boost the bass freq. 6 db. This makes for very realistic bass and drums.
The Bryston 3B-SST can handle it!  :D

niels

« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2007, 11:09 pm »
You are definetely playing with fire here, I would be worried that the warranty will not cover anything should something go wrong.
Why are you using 2 set of speakers, and if you do need them you should wire them in parallel, not serial....
Using an equalizer will tax the power output severe in the bass. Bass demands huge amounts of current, especially if you boost it. How about an active subwoofer ?

Mag

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2007, 06:25 am »
You may be right but technically it's a 4 ohm load as speakers are rated 8 ohms. The SST is built for a 4 ohm load and should be under warranty. I have them wired in parallel. I have an unconventional MC HT setup. I use a 2b-Lp for my center which matches closely with the 20's and 100's with the 3B-SST. And I have a 3B-ST powering my surround Monitor 9 speakers. The 3B-ST doesn't have enough power for 100's with loud demanding bass music.  The 3B-ST does not match the SST in the high or lows and as I mentioned previously I need the 20's and 100's to match so that I have a coherent soundfield with the fronts and center.
I added a fan and now the unit is just warm to the touch. And I've been rocking for 6 hours. :rock:
As for bass I use a sub xover at 80 hz. I have the freq. 40 hz to 125hz at +3 boost and 160 hz to 315 hz at +6 boost and 400 hz at +3.

niels

« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2007, 11:55 am »
Ah okay, was worried you had them wired serial....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 28 May 2007, 01:00 pm »
Ah okay, was worried you had them wired serial....

If you wire your speakers in Series the impedance will double. If you wire them in Parallel the impedance will be cut in half.

james

niels

« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2007, 02:04 pm »
Ups, sorry about that, mixed that up....then he should maybe couple them in series....