Hypex UcD HG Modules & Exodus Kit Changes

Kevin Haskins

Hypex UcD HG Modules & Exodus Kit Changes
« on: 25 May 2007, 08:16 pm »
Good news.... the Hypex UcD HG modules have been released and are now available for purchase on the web site.    The new HG modules reflect cumulative improvements to the basic UcD circuit including the use of higher quality passive components, improved voltage regulation on the op amp buffer and the use of the new LM4562 op amp for the buffer stage.   

In addition, the new HG modules are HxR12 ready, with Thru hole mounting locations for the up and coming Hypex Super Regulators (for even better performance).

I know there will be questions about how these sound in comparison to the old modules.   To keep things short and simple "I don't know".    :lol:    I've not had a chance to fully evaluate the new changes yet.  From my modifications of the AD versions with better regulated supplies I can say without any reservations that the better power supply makes a noticeable improvement.   

This also obviously effects the Exodus Amplifiers.   All Exodus amps now come STANDARD with the HG modules.   Virtually all my customers where buying fully modified versions of the UcD400AD so I suspect the demand will continue in that direction.    All of our base prices have gone up as a consequence.   The HG modules cost more than the AD versions did.   The good news, is that the new HG versions don't require the same amount of labor to implement the voltage regulator modification. That means the current prices are actually LESS EXPENSIVE than the average amplifier we where building.   So... prices have gone up and yet down.    Try and figure that one out.   

To make a long story short, the average sales price of a finished amplifier has gone down while the sound quality should certainly improve with the newer modules.

http://www.diycable.com/main/default.php?cPath=140   

« Last Edit: 25 May 2007, 08:51 pm by Kevin Haskins »

darwin

Re: Hypex UcD HG Modules & Exodus Kit Changes
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2007, 08:54 pm »
Excellent news. I've already started working on the wife to order five of 'em.

How difficult would it be to install the HxR12 in a UcD400 HG for those of us who are solder impaired?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2007, 10:03 pm »
Excellent news. I've already started working on the wife to order five of 'em.

How difficult would it be to install the HxR12 in a UcD400 HG for those of us who are solder impaired?

It certainly doesn't look difficult.  Hypex has designed the PCB for it to drop right in place.   Of course.... it depends on how "solder impaired" you actually are.   :wink:

I imagine that it will involve cutting off the original TO-220 package voltage regulator also.

darwin

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2007, 10:21 pm »
It certainly doesn't look difficult.  Hypex has designed the PCB for it to drop right in place.   Of course.... it depends on how "solder impaired" you actually are.   :wink:

I imagine that it will involve cutting off the original TO-220 package voltage regulator also.

Let me put it this way, I'm older than dirt and I have the eye - hand coordination of a chicken with polio.  :lol:

The better question would have been, are you going to be offering the UCD400 HG modules with the HxR12s already installed?
Also, has there been any word from Hypex as to when the new regulators will be available?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2007, 10:50 pm »

Let me put it this way, I'm older than dirt and I have the eye - hand coordination of a chicken with polio.  :lol:

The better question would have been, are you going to be offering the UCD400 HG modules with the HxR12s already installed?
Also, has there been any word from Hypex as to when the new regulators will be available?   

A chicken with polio.... wouldn't that be chickenpox?   

Yes...I'll be offering them installed.   I've not been given an exact date but I believe we are talking 4-8 weeks.   

darwin

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2007, 11:22 pm »
Yes...I'll be offering them installed.   I've not been given an exact date but I believe we are talking 4-8 weeks.   

Thanks. I'll start saving my pennies.

Not to change the subject, but would the UCD400ADs that I have now work well to drive an IB (four Avalanche 18") in a four channel amp set-up?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2007, 11:29 pm »

Thanks. I'll start saving my pennies.

Not to change the subject, but would the UCD400ADs that I have now work well to drive an IB (four Avalanche 18") in a four channel amp set-up?

How are you wiring the Avalanche?   It depends on the impedance.   If you get it anywhere between 2 -- 8 ohms you should be fine.   IBs don't require much power.   You can overdrive most drivers free-air with little power.

darwin

« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2007, 12:00 am »
How are you wiring the Avalanche?   It depends on the impedance.   If you get it anywhere between 2 -- 8 ohms you should be fine.   IBs don't require much power.   You can overdrive most drivers free-air with little power.

The Avalanche are 2 Ohm DVC, so I would be running them in a 4 Ohm configuration. I'm currently driving them with a Crown K2 (two drivers per channel for 8 Ohms) which is more than ample for my needs, but I like the idea of all the amps being the same. I'm just anal retentive that way, I guess. :D

darwin

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2007, 12:43 pm »

Time's almost up  :wink:, any update on the 400HGs with installed HxR12s yet?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jul 2007, 02:57 pm »
I've got the voltage regulators but waiting on the next order of UcD400HGs to arrive.    That and some time to work on them & the web development.   

I have too many irons in the fire at the moment so I've not had a lot of time to work on the amps in general.  Since the HGs have released most have sold by the time I get them.    I have two installed in an amp but no HxR12s installed yet for listening test.   

darwin

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jul 2007, 02:27 pm »
I've got the voltage regulators but waiting on the next order of UcD400HGs to arrive.    That and some time to work on them & the web development.   

I have too many irons in the fire at the moment so I've not had a lot of time to work on the amps in general.  Since the HGs have released most have sold by the time I get them.    I have two installed in an amp but no HxR12s installed yet for listening test.   

Thanks for the update. I'll check back with you in a couple of weeks.

brj

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2007, 03:17 pm »
Kevin, can you clarify which components of the new UcD modules have been upgraded AND remain on the module after your modification process?

It sounds like some of the upgraded module features aren't actually a benefit if a customer is having the full mods done because they get removed or replaced anyway.  (This isn't a problem - I'm just trying to understand the changes with respect to the modded and unmodded configurations.)

Thanks!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2007, 05:04 pm »
Kevin, can you clarify which components of the new UcD modules have been upgraded AND remain on the module after your modification process?

It sounds like some of the upgraded module features aren't actually a benefit if a customer is having the full mods done because they get removed or replaced anyway.  (This isn't a problem - I'm just trying to understand the changes with respect to the modded and unmodded configurations.)

Thanks!

I don't have a modification process.   I'm a Hypex fan-boy and I don't think I can out-design Bruno Putzeys when it comes to Class-D amplifier design.   

The only thing I do to the modules, in-house, is to mount the new voltage regulators.     

brj

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2007, 05:30 pm »
Oops - I misunderstood!  Thanks for the clarification!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jul 2007, 06:15 pm »

No problem...  I'm not a big proponent of modifying something that is already very well designed.   I save voicing for the loudspeaker.

TerryO

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jul 2007, 06:26 pm »

No problem...  I'm not a big proponent of modifying something that is already very well designed.   I save voicing for the loudspeaker.

Mr. Haskins has a point, you'll probably hear more differences by simple changes in the crossover componets than in the Amp. That's the problem, if you mod the amp to sound "right" with your speakers, what's it going to sound like when you change speakers, or heaven forbid, you decide to sell the amp to someone else? The next guy may decide you unloaded a "lemon" on him if it's not compatible with his speakers.
In the end, we all make choices. I would take Mr. Haskin's advice.

Best Regards,
TerryO

darwin

« Reply #16 on: 16 Aug 2007, 01:03 pm »
Kevin,

Any further updates on availability and pricing of the UcD400 HG with the pre-installed HxR12? 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #17 on: 16 Aug 2007, 03:03 pm »
I had a bunch of them but Hypex ran low on stock and asked if they could have them back.    ETA on more stock will be 3-4 more weeks.   

I have to say.... they sure look cool if nothing else.    The glowing LEDs make the amps look like you have some tubes stuffed under the hood.   I'll have to see if I can fool anyone at the upcoming Bottlehead meeting.