Interested in IA-7 need advice

DZetye

Interested in IA-7 need advice
« on: 24 May 2007, 08:43 pm »
I am thinking about buying a Nuforce IA-7 V2 and was wondering if any owners of the previous version would tell me their comments regarding the performance of the amp and any comparisons they have done with other amps.  I am not familiar with the Nuforce sound but have heard some good things said about them.  I want to simplify my system and get rid of my Audio Research tube amp and Placette passive preamp.  Any thoughts?
Also, is going with the 8's or 9's significantly a lot better or will the integrated give me 90% of the sound quality of the seperates?  Thanks everyone.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: Interested in IA-7 need advice
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2007, 12:35 am »
If you don't need the extra power, IA-7 V2 will give you 85% to 90% of the sound quality of P-8 and 2 Ref 9 V2.

A lot also depends on your future plan. IA-7 is NOT a platform and upgrade path is not guaranteed.
You can trade in P-8 with full MSRP value as credit within a year for a P-9.
Ref 9 V2 can be upgraded.  If you budget allows and plan to upgrade your system in the coming years, I would suggest Ref 8.5 V2 (200W per channel @ 4 ohm) and P-8.
If you don't plan to upgrade, IA-7 V2 is an under appreciated high end integrated amp and you will be surprised.

DZetye

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2007, 04:05 pm »
Thanks for the information.  Thats exactly what I was looking for.  I just saw your announcement of the $1 home audition.  I will contact a dealer to participate.

knecht

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2007, 09:29 am »
Why power on 4 and 2 ohms isn't specified? My B&W speakers go down to 4 ohm with 45° of capacity: are this rotations suitable for IA7? I saw V2 has 388w on 20ms bursts: is it an improvement on former 288w, or it is just a mistake?
Finally, is 8.5v2 substantially more powerful than Ia7v2?
Thanks for yoru answer.
Best regards.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2007, 01:37 pm »
I will update the website to make it clear.
The power spec for IA-7 V2 is 100W x 2 at 8 ohm and 4 ohm. The amp board is the same V2 board (which can handle higher power) but the power supply can only put out 200W max.

Ref 8.5V2 uses the same 200W SMPS but only for 1 channel (it is a monoblock).
The Ref series is a platform and it gives you maximum flexibility and upgrade path.  We plan to support the form factor for many years to come.  For example, the power supply in 9V2 has 500W power but V2 can only make use of 300W.  Very few people will need more than 300W at 4 ohm (190W at 8 ohm).  Future generation of amp board will be able to take advantage of that if needed.  We have to plan ahead.

With regards to the peak power, I will double check. Basically peek power is supply by the capacitor storage and  no very relevant. If you have a 92db efficiency speaker, IA-7 will probably be enough. Other factors such as your room size, listening habit and type of music are important considerations.

knecht

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2007, 04:15 pm »
The power spec for IA-7 V2 is 100W x 2 at 8 ohm and 4 ohm. The amp board is the same V2 board (which can handle higher power) but the power supply can only put out 200W max.

The Ref series is a platform and it gives you maximum flexibility and upgrade path.  We plan to support the form factor for many years to come.  For example, the power supply in 9V2 has 500W power but V2 can only make use of 300W.  Very few people will need more than 300W at 4 ohm (190W at 8 ohm).  Future generation of amp board will be able to take advantage of that if needed.  We have to plan ahead.

With regards to the peak power, I will double check. Basically peek power is supply by the capacitor storage and  no very relevant. If you have a 92db efficiency speaker, IA-7 will probably be enough. Other factors such as your room size, listening habit and type of music are important considerations.

My speakers (802) have 89db and 4 ohm impedance, my room is 40sqm, I listen to everything, from Keith Jarret to Gustav Mahler. May you give me an advice?
Thank You.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2007, 05:26 am »
Should be fine. And a huge saving too  :thumb:

terrys

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2007, 02:50 pm »

I bought my IA-7E early this year and it works fine with my existing system. Recently, I have upgraded my IA-7E to V2 after knowing the powerful of the new V2 chips which will archieve 85% to 90% of the sound quality of P-8 and 2 Ref 9 V2. It already run about 10 hours but I have not yet recognized a significant difference after the upgrade. How long will it take to run in in order to get its maximum performance? Another question is my old IA-7E already gave me 100W X 2 power, will the upgrade of V2 be substantially more powerful than my former IA-7E?

I am now using a pair of bookshelf speakers with 87db sensitivity and 4 ohm impedance. My listening area is about 130 sqft and the distance between the two speakers is about 6 ft. Is it match with IA-7E V2?

Last question, which CD player will you recommend to match with IA-7E V2? I like listening vocal, strings (especially classic guitar) and piano sound.

May I have your expertise advice?

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2007, 06:30 pm »
I bought my IA-7E early this year and it works fine with my existing system. Recently, I have upgraded my IA-7E to V2 after knowing the powerful of the new V2 chips which will archieve 85% to 90% of the sound quality of P-8 and 2 Ref 9 V2. It already run about 10 hours but I have not yet recognized a significant difference after the upgrade. How long will it take to run in in order to get its maximum performance? Another question is my old IA-7E already gave me 100W X 2 power, will the upgrade of V2 be substantially more powerful than my former IA-7E?

I am now using a pair of bookshelf speakers with 87db sensitivity and 4 ohm impedance. My listening area is about 130 sqft and the distance between the two speakers is about 6 ft. Is it match with IA-7E V2?

Last question, which CD player will you recommend to match with IA-7E V2? I like listening vocal, strings (especially classic guitar) and piano sound.

May I have your expertise advice?
You should be hearing progressively better sound at 10 hours of break-in.  Usually the perceived difference in moving up is less than the perceive difference moving back.   But the V2 performance in relative terms, in IA7 is limited by the fact that both channels and preamp share a single supply, so IA7V2 will never sound as good as P8 + Ref. 8.5V2.   Also, other parts of the system may be a limiting factor.  At least in my own test, and from most others, IA7V2 is really quite good in absolute terms.

IA7E comes with 100Wx2, so when upgrading to V2, you retain the same power.   The power upgrade and V2 upgrade in IA7 are optional, but V2 upgrade can only be applied with 100Wx2 power supply.  You don't get more peak power from V2, but the energy delivery is faster and 20% more efficient (i.e. think about that the top speed of a car remains the same, but the acceleration is 20% faster).

I would say 87dB speaker in a 130sqft room is OK for IA7.

raven

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2007, 08:37 pm »
I am going to get the upgrade for my IA-7 and was hoping for a big difference :icon_twisted:

Well well.... what I have heard is that you get closer to the 9SE (V1) performance.

I will try the upgraded IA-7 with my Gallo Ref. 3.1 and my "old" Oskar Heil Kithara.http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0904/heilkithara.htm

And I´m using Slim Devices Transporter as source.
Carl Fox

mbriex

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2007, 09:16 pm »

My speakers (802) have 89db and 4 ohm impedance, my room is 40sqm, I listen to everything, from Keith Jarret to Gustav Mahler. May you give me an advice?
Thank You.
My speakers are B&W 802 and I can confirm they really need power. My room is bigger than yours (100sqm) and two Ref9 with P8 preamplifier gave a wonderful and detailed music with very tight bass, and naturel medium and highs but I was looking for more impact. With two pairs of Ref9V2 biamping my 802, the sound is wonderful, music is now holographic and as much detailed from left to right but significantly more in depth; bass are amazing, natural and give a true impact. It's at this time my best system ever. :thumb:
(excuse my poor english)