New Custom 3-way

jono2channel

New Custom 3-way
« on: 24 May 2007, 04:32 pm »
I am pulling the trigger on a new custom kit from Rick. Drivers are all ScanSpeak.
Woofer -  26W4867T 10" Aluminum Cone 4 ohm Woofer
 Mid - 15M/4531K Revelator 5.5" midrange
Tweet - Scan-speak D3004/6600-00 Textile dome, AirCir
It will be a while, as the AirCirc is currently out of stock, but should be an exciting summer anyhow. These new speakers will be replacing my current B&W 603 S3. I can hardly wait. :drool: :drool: aa

H2K

Re: New Custom 3-way
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2007, 06:39 pm »
This does look interesting.  What's the size of the cabinets?

jono2channel

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2007, 07:51 pm »
I am not sure about all of the details yet. The inspiration behind the build is these http://www.psbspeakers.com/product.php?pId=7&sId=2 . My buddy has a pair, and I think that they represent some incredible value. I can't go any bigger than this, so I was hesitant to go with the RC5 model. Rick will give me the details as his end of this comes together.

H2K

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2007, 08:38 pm »
Roughly the same size as the Peridot which I have been thinking about for a long time but I'd really like to get something smaller.
Then I started pondering a 2way (Merlin, Devore, Totem) but I know I'll need more bass - I've got the PSB T6 now which is too much.

So I'm looking that the 35F but it's so inexpensive it can't possibly be any good.  :?

Anxious to see what Rick comes up with - good luck!

Kris

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2007, 05:27 am »
The new 3D meets most of these requirements, And has separate modules for highs-mids and bass, allowing best positioning of each, smoothing out room acoustics. I use the SSR this way, with 2 passive bass modules, with excellent results.

Sonny

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2007, 05:36 am »
How much will this kit/speaker be?
I know that none of you have heard of the GeerS eVe II, but having built it and loving the results, I would definitely recommend anyone to do some research on it and see.  I've had Meadowlarks (Shearwaters and Herons), Vienna Strauss, Totems, Von Shwekers, etc...and I can honestly say that these are extremely revealing, transparent and bass is nice and tight.  Here's a link if anyone is interested:  http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1104/index.php
Also, here's my gallery: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=816
All scan speak drivers, 3-way and well, it goes down to 30hz easy in a sealed box!!!
   :thumb:

jono2channel

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2007, 12:42 pm »
Hey Kris

You are right in your estimation of the 3D, but in my house I have two Bernese Mountain Dogs, and I was hesitant to use an accuton mid, and I am not familiar with ribbon tweeters, but I wanted to build in maximum reliability so I went with a dome. I am also placement limited, and so having a speaker that could deal with lots of placement options is not important. On top of all of this, this custom 3-way will be much more sensitive than the 3D when all is said and done.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2007, 03:54 pm »
Roughly the same size as the Peridot which I have been thinking about for a long time but I'd really like to get something smaller.
Then I started pondering a 2way (Merlin, Devore, Totem) but I know I'll need more bass - I've got the PSB T6 now which is too much.

So I'm looking that the 35F but it's so inexpensive it can't possibly be any good.  :?

Anxious to see what Rick comes up with - good luck!

This will be smaller than the Peridot since one 10" drivers takes less internal volume than two 8" drivers. Roughly 38-40" tall and 14-16" deep. The width will depend on if you decide to build a tapered or rectangular baffle.

jono2channel

« Reply #8 on: 2 Oct 2007, 10:02 am »
Quick update

The kit has arrived, the mid was changed to the 15M/4531G from the "K". Everythink looks great, and I am well into the build. I won't be listening to them for a while still, but I will get back to the board with my impressions and some pictures when I can. It might be by the end of October.

klh

« Reply #9 on: 2 Oct 2007, 04:47 pm »
thanks for the update.

jono2channel

« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2007, 05:03 am »
I know there are lots of you guys out there that have built and veneered kits before. I am almost ready to start veneering my lovingly made boxes. Which panel do I start with? What order for veneer on panels? I would appreciate some help from experience out there.

Carl V

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2007, 03:17 am »
Front...sides...top..bottom...back. 
That is, if you're doing straight sided boxes i.e., no round over.
Otherwise with verticle round overs you wrap the veneer to the back over lap & cut. then do the
tops & bottom. 
Last few enclosures I've done have been a'la Northcreek
(externally & intrnally with an extra horizonalt brace fomr 1/2" BB)

Good luck post some pictures & listening impressions whern done.
That design looks good on paper....it ought to sing.