hum / buzz coming from Candela ?

bernard991

hum / buzz coming from Candela ?
« on: 24 May 2007, 07:14 am »
I have a new system built around the Candela preamp ...using tubed mono bloc amps
all is great ....except I have an annoying buzz /hum coming from the spkrs once all components warm up
you can hear it close to the midrange speaker and away if the room is quiet ....it gets masked by  the music so not really noticeable when listening tp program content ...only when the system is 'idling '....some tubes are worse than others ..the stock JJ's are quieter than some of my older 12AU7's but are still "noisy".....has anyone experienced this at all ...or any information / ideas what it may be ?
thanks

lazydays

Re: hum / buzz coming from Candela ?
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2007, 03:47 am »
I have a new system built around the Candela preamp ...using tubed mono bloc amps
all is great ....except I have an annoying buzz /hum coming from the spkrs once all components warm up
you can hear it close to the midrange speaker and away if the room is quiet ....it gets masked by  the music so not really noticeable when listening tp program content ...only when the system is 'idling '....some tubes are worse than others ..the stock JJ's are quieter than some of my older 12AU7's but are still "noisy".....has anyone experienced this at all ...or any information / ideas what it may be ?
thanks

I had a hum problem with mine as well, but after doing a bunch of detective work I finally traced most of it to my phono preamp and the tone arm cable. But then again you had to have your ear within three or four feet of the speaker to even hear it. I'd suggest you start moving the cables around, and try a different power cord. I switched mine out for a Stealth, and that really seemed to help in overall sound quality. Lastly I had an Audioquest IC that went south, but sounded just fine. It happened to be the one that went from the preamp out to the amps.
gary

geowak

Re: hum / buzz coming from Candela ?
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2007, 12:34 am »
hey bernard999

Did you ever find out where the buzz was coming from in your Candela?
Was it the transformer? I know some Tempest owners had this same problem, but I thought the transformer in the Candela was a different one from the Tempest, maybe a toridial.

:scratch: