Adding a sub

Alwayswantmore

Adding a sub
« on: 23 May 2007, 08:26 pm »
Hi Vinnie, I got a hair up my butt and ordered an ACI Force XL sub to go with my Compact Hemps / Sig 30. Do you recommend that I run a pair of RCA outs (as opposed to a single cable), even though there is only one sub? Any other suggestions for using a sub with high level inputs in this configuration?

Thanks, Kent

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Re: Adding a sub
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2007, 04:15 pm »
Hi Vinnie, I got a hair up my butt and ordered an ACI Force XL sub to go with my Compact Hemps / Sig 30. Do you recommend that I run a pair of RCA outs (as opposed to a single cable), even though there is only one sub? Any other suggestions for using a sub with high level inputs in this configuration?

Thanks, Kent

Hi Kent,

Use a pair of interconnets to connect the volume-controlled L/R RCA outputs of the Signature 30 to the L/R RCA inputs of the sub. 

Do not connect the Sig 30 to the high-level (speaker level) inputs of the sub.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Zero

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2007, 04:18 pm »
Kent,

I may be wrong here, but tripath chips (as used in the RWA Sig 30) and other class D chips such as ICE do not respond well when connecting to the speaker level input. In fact, word has it that it causes a short and the amp goes bye-bye.

The cool thing is that the Sig 30 comes with a set of pre out's (on the bottom) for use with a sub-woofer...  As he suggests, just run a pair of interconnects from those bottom jacks to the "line level input" on your Force and away you go..

Good luck - and enjoy.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2007, 01:24 am »
Thanks guys. The ACI Force only accepts RCA inputs. I was just asking if I could get by with only one channel for a single sub, to save money on the ICs (at least in the days of record albums, I was under the impression that all bass signals were mono to make it easier for the styli to track the record groove. Maybe now with CDs, bass is recorded in stereo???

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2007, 02:58 am »
Thanks guys. The ACI Force only accepts RCA inputs. I was just asking if I could get by with only one channel for a single sub, to save money on the ICs (at least in the days of record albums, I was under the impression that all bass signals were mono to make it easier for the styli to track the record groove. Maybe now with CDs, bass is recorded in stereo???

Hi Kent,

You should connect to BOTH the L and R RCA inputs of the sub.  Yes, the sub is mono, but it sums the bass content of the L and R channels.  For example, if there was a bass playing on the right side of the stage (so the signal is primarily on the right channel) and you only connect to the left RCA input of the sub, the sub is not going to reproduce the bass. 

Best regards,

Vinnie

fu_man

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2007, 07:00 am »
Do it  that  way -  and  then if you  dont  have  enuff gain  try Ed's  magic  cable.