FLAC Player besides Softsqueeze

datman

FLAC Player besides Softsqueeze
« on: 23 May 2007, 12:13 am »
Since I am not able to install Softsqueeze 3.4 (Slimserver 6.5.2 installed with no problems) on my Vista Ultimate PC, I need some suggestions as to what I can use to play music from my FLAC library on my pc.  I use foobar2000 for my usb attached headphone amp and that works well.  I do not want to use Windows Media Player because; a)it doesn't support FLAC and b)on my previous XP machine, it did some weird things as far as tagging my files.

For informational purposes, the problem I am having with Softsqueeze is that when installing (either from run or from a downloaded file) Softsqeeze tells me it can't find MSVCR71.dll and then it tells me to point it to the JAVA Runtime Environment.  I do this and it tells me the JRE is corrupted and needs to be re-installed (it doesn't).  It then tells me EXE4J_JAVA_HOME needs to be pointed at JRE or another location.

Amazingly enough, this is the ONLY application I have had any trouble with using VISTA.  You could have knocked me over with a sledgehammer.

mgalusha

Re: FLAC Player besides Softsqueeze
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2007, 03:40 am »
Why can't you use foobar? Or are you looking to play the stream instead of files off the HD? Winamp will do this and I believe it supports flac.

mike

Tweaker

« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2007, 03:51 am »
Winamp does support FLAC.

Double Ugly

« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2007, 04:28 am »

According to this it does.

Tweaker

« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2007, 06:33 am »

Double Ugly

« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2007, 08:22 am »

According to this it does.
What I said.

Yes, I know. 

The purpose of the link was/is to provide supporting evidence.

Tweaker

« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2007, 08:51 am »
  :lol: I wasn't quite sure.
I've been using Winamp for some time now, instead of Softsqueeze, to stream my FLAC files on the occasion I listen to music while at my computer. For some reason Softsqueeze stopped working after installing a program  and after messing around futiley to get it working again I resorted to Winamp. Works fine.

Val

« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2007, 03:00 pm »
Try XMPlay, I like it a lot.

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2007, 04:10 pm »
  :lol: I wasn't quite sure.
I've been using Winamp for some time now, instead of Softsqueeze, to stream my FLAC files on the occasion I listen to music while at my computer. For some reason Softsqueeze stopped working after installing a program  and after messing around futiley to get it working again I resorted to Winamp. Works fine.

Hmmm...my softsqueeze also stopped working after an "upgrade".  I also cannot get it to work.