OLD RM 40 Midwoofers Needed

ka7niq

• Roof Cleaning Tampa FL
OLD RM 40 Midwoofers Needed
« on: 22 May 2007, 03:09 pm »
As many know by now, Jay and I are experimenting with using dual OLD midwoofers in place of the one Midwoofer and one Megawoofer in the RM 40's.

I HAD my speakers sounding quite good with this arrangement, when one of my 4 midwoofers gave out.
It just quit for no reason, and I can't get it working again.

Brian only has NEW Midwoofers, so that will not work, unless I were to buy 4 of them, and start my experiments all over  again.

Does anyone have any spare old midwoofers left over from updates, etc ?

I will buy them from you,

Chris 813 655 8777

Or, PM me, or email ka7niq@yahoo.com

warnerwh

Re: OLD RM 40 Midwoofers Needed
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2007, 01:57 am »
If I were you I'd go with the new midwoofers. These have an 80oz. magnet so in theory should be quicker to keep up with the planars. You complained of the thinness in the upper bass lower midrange. With the newer midwoofers I'd also use the latest crossover which is I think 280hz instead of 166 which I think yours are.

Go with the higher crossover point and new midwoofer and having what one would consider a significant weakness will be diminished to near nothing imo. My RM 40's sound no less than amazingly good. Music reproduction is as good as I've heard. At least this sound is so close to real it surprises me to this day and I've heard ALOT of live music so have a good idea how it sounds.

When I heard the original RM 40's I didn't care for the upper bass low midrange weakness. The model I have however doesn't have this problem at all. Spend a few bucks now and you'll be glad you did.

These speakers can be tweaked further than I've ever seen. Even after a year or more I'd still be able to squeak a tiny bit more realism from them.