USB and Dropout

BRN

USB and Dropout
« on: 21 May 2007, 08:39 pm »
I have the HagUSB and have been using it in my home office for awhile now, but not for any critical listening. I just moved my headphone amp in the office so that I can do more critical listening. I have to say that I'm a big fan of computer audio, between the easy access to all my music and the sound it is a win win to me. I'm very pleased with how well the HagUSB integrates into this system and the sounding I'm getting with it.  I have had only one issue, every so often I get dropout. I setup my computer in accordance with the setup and configuration page on the Hagerman, ASIO4ALL, Foobar2000. I know that USB is data in data out with no buffer, so I'm figuring that the delay is somewhere between the computer and external HD being feed via firewire. I noticed that on the HagUSB page that Jim recommends a driver from www.usb-audio.com. Reading about the driver it sounds like this is what I need since it adds a buffer, but does ASIO4ALL have a buffer that I can adjust to fix the problem?

Levi

Re: USB and Dropout
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2007, 08:48 pm »
There are lots of variables that can affect your audio streaming.  Here are a few tips that I can offer you:

1. Defrag your Disk.
2. Create hardware profile.  Disable non-necessary hardware like game controllers, network cards etc.
3. Disable Non-Essential visual effects
4. Get as much ram as you can
5. Monitor CPU usage.  Disable apps your are not using that are running in the background.
6. If a mac - disable Airport wireless as it constanlty look for available network.

They are all free for you to experiment.