Might be the Ultimate LCR

John Casler

Might be the Ultimate LCR
« on: 20 May 2007, 05:22 pm »
Made a trip to Menifee (sp) close to Riverside) Ca yesterday to piack up some RM40s and help set up and tune what is likely the Ultimate Left Center Right speaker system I have ever seen/heard.

Hopefully Warren will post a pic or two.

He has a pair of BCSE Macassar Ebony RM v60's for L&R Mains, and a BCSE Macassar Ebony RM40 for "CENTER CHANNEL" duties. 

He already had a HUGE SVS Subwoofer, that proved more than adequate, for bass duties.

This is likely one of the more serious HT systems around with a 65" Panasonic Plasma for video.

And while we have had several VMPS'ers use the RM40 as a Center, this is the first time we have had one with the CDWG.

All I can say is WOW.  After a couple "technical wiring" difficulties, (L&R Bass modeules were reversed) we were cooking.  Warren is using the "big Time" Anthem PrePro and AMPs for the front channels, biamping the RM v60 with so much clean power, it is scary.

I was surprised how well the Sub integrated with the Mains, and I was also surprised how low the RM v60 seemed to go in stereo.  I asked Warren a couple times if the SUB was off, and sure enough the amp was totally off.

When Warren first fired up the system we had to keep checking to see if the Center RM40 was on, to the point of actually going up and feeling for the woofers, the center fill and soundstage was so strong.

I think Warren took a couple pics, and although he plans to build a matching "Center Speaker Stand" for the RM40, it looks very impressive , and sounds even more impressive.

But as all things in Audio, the "break in" and final adjustments and tweaks, will take it to an even higher level.

In about 6 weeks, Mr. WarrenHH will likely be listening to one of the best sounding HT systems anyplace, anywhere.  The only limitation is one that many cannot change, and that is that it is in a beautiful Living Room, without any sound or acoustic treatment.

In spite of that, the "tunability" of the "open baffle dipole" allowed us to close down the back wave which (due to refelctive back surfaces) offered a little too much "air" (for my tastes) when partial or removed.

The SUB, had already been tuned to the "HUGE" room, and did not muddy the bass at all.

Tonally all was as the recording presented it.

Dynamically there seemed to be no effort to even the outer limits.

And one word about the RM40 as a CENTER.  I was wondering how we were going to deal with the "slot".  Since Brian doesn't have a bottom cover for the slot that will work well, I initially though we would just reverse the slot, and place black cloth across bottom.

But, if you select the MLS cabinets, it turns out they are finished on the bottom and you simply remove the slot all together.  This provides a perfect symetry, and while you can see the PR, it looks just fine. :thumb:

Strangely enough, I also paid a visit to a new client in Chino Hills, and guess what..... aa

He wants a pair of RM v60's with an RM40 cdwg Center Channel :green:

See Warren, look what you have done now. aa aa :drool:

But I might add, I guess he also saw that I suggested the RM40s as "side surrounds" or "rear surrounds" and is also considering that option.

Man, ya have'ta love VMPS'ers.

They have "NO FEAR"