My 4B-SST is here but 1 question

Hoiman

My 4B-SST is here but 1 question
« on: 19 May 2007, 03:54 pm »
Hi I just received my 4B-SST.

I'm very glad with it, but I have 1 question. The rapport that's enclosed has a date of 30th september 2006. So I wonder is this a new one or not?

Is it normal that I just get an product that's made 8 months ago?

mklibra

Re: My 4B-SST is here but 1 question
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2007, 07:27 pm »

Hi, before I got my 4B sst through German distributor I had to wait 4 weeks, but when I received it the dates on the check up and data sheet attached to my unit were just 6 weeks old. So I was sure that my 4B sst was a fersh unit just straight from the prod line.
Regards. Marcin

mclsound

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2007, 07:49 pm »
i have purchased alot over the years and if my milk smells funny,i go back to the store and raise hell,but thats just me!! good luck

niels

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2007, 09:20 pm »
Pardon me, but I didnt know amplifiers had an expiration date on them....if they dont sell in 2 months should they be send back to the factory then ?

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2007, 10:38 pm »
Same thing with vehicles.  The new models may come out is Sept. or Oct. in the US and they place a State inspection sticker on it.  Does not mean if the unit has been on the lot for several mos. that it needs to go back to the manuf.  Major appliances are the same way - they go from manuf. to distributor to retailer, etc.  Was I supposed to look at the manuf. date of my stove, refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave when I re-did the kitchen last summer and reject or deem a unit as less than new by the date is was manuf?

mclsound

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2007, 11:49 pm »
C'mon guys,how would u feel if u paid big dollars for a 8mnth old product,ok,if he got a good deal,then enjoy,but if u paid full price.......ask your wife what she thinks!

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2007, 12:24 am »
C'mon guys,how would u feel if u paid big dollars for a 8mnth old product,ok,if he got a good deal,then enjoy,but if u paid full price.......ask your wife what she thinks!

Are you joking? or serious?  With rare exception, what major product do you think you're going to get right away soon after manuf. date.  What makes something brand new that is still a current model less valuable a few mos. down the road?  Expensive asian manuf. reference rec'rs probably take a few mos. before they even get to store shelves.  When I re-did my kitchen, the refrigerator I purchased was a GE Monogram that was over $3k.  I got it from Home Depot's Expo Center.  Other than inspecting for damage and defects, do you really think I'm going to look at the manuf. date and send it back if it was manuf. 8 mos. ago?  It was brand new with plastic wrap over it.  If you're talking around the time of a change in models, you'd expect to get some break.  I auditioned a Torrus Power Conditioner today while I was visiting the stereo store where my friend used to work as he was filling in.  I'm not quite ready yet.  When I am, I'll likely ask James some technical question.  Do you think if I'm buying a current model I'm going to look at the manuf. date?  Get real, a brand new current model is a brand new current model. 

Ron D

« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2007, 12:39 am »
Well here are a few reasons for a product to be 8 months old:

1. it was ordered for another customer who changed his mind or possibly changed the order to another amp - upgraded to 14 or maybe went HT and ordered a 9B. Why send it back - its a popular product and will sell.

2. amps are typically not made to order. Economies of scale are realized when a manufacturer makes a certain number of a specific product so this amp may have been from certain run from 8 months ago and then put into the system. Then Bryston may have built a number of other amps after their run of 4B amps before they built more 4B amps?

If somebody thinks that the 8 month old unit is in any way different than one
built a month ago assuming there are no design changes and there haven't been or at least none that I know of its the exact same amp with the same warranty as well. Don't even think that 20 years + 8 months down the road in the event the amp breaks down Bryston won't fix it - they will.

Rest assured your amp is as good to you or anyone else for that matter so enjoy it its a great amp, I know I owned one...

mclsound

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2007, 02:54 am »
first of all it's not milk,well nor is it a fridge!it is a persons hobby,a piece of PRIDE that reflects u as a person who takes pride in his choice of a companies product..also it's not a car (an outdoor way of transportation???)but if u must,i ordered a ARCTIC CAT snowmobile new in April and got it in August,a sled,not a amp.....  i  ordered an amp from my brand i am using, matter a fact i just ordered a pair of mono's today,and should have them built for me in a few weeks,not 8mths,and lastly i noticed while this man ,who is obviously a little unsure about his product,paid lots of money,and just wants answers......the one man who could answer his ? was here then left and answered another....just look back!!!!and don't tell me they cant answer them all.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2007, 03:37 am »
first of all it's not milk,well nor is it a fridge!it is a persons hobby,a piece of PRIDE that reflects u as a person who takes pride in his choice of a companies product..also it's not a car (an outdoor way of transportation???)but if u must,i ordered a ARCTIC CAT snowmobile new in April and got it in August,a sled,not a amp.....  i  ordered an amp from my brand i am using, matter a fact i just ordered a pair of mono's today,and should have them built for me in a few weeks,not 8mths,and lastly i noticed while this man ,who is obviously a little unsure about his product,paid lots of money,and just wants answers......the one man who could answer his ? was here then left and answered another....just look back!!!!and don't tell me they cant answer them all.

As noted if the design has not changed and the model is the same what's the difference?  What makes you unrealistically think Bryston can answer for what every retailer does with their stock?  As the previous post noted it could have been ordered for another customer.  It could be that the retailer wanted to wait until he had more than one order to just save on shipping or some other factor.  What do you expect the manuf. to do send someone out to spy on every retailer, their ordering and stock practices and what order they remove equipment from their stock rooms?  The retailer could have ordered several and just loaded them and took them out of their stock in order and yes it is not milk where it might make a difference.  I've known retailers with a cramped stock room to find equipment several years old and out-of-date and having to sell new but not current equipment for less than cost.  A fridge is not tons different - want the kitchen to look nice and the important facts are that it is a current model, a new unit and has no dings, etc., not that the manuf. date is 4 mos. ago or 6 mos. ago or 8 mos. ago.  What's going to hurt someone's hobby pride, a perfect new and current model unit or is someone going to worry if a guest looks at the back and sees the manuf. date?  Is the guest going to grill the person on how long it's sat in his system vs. in a retailer's stock room?  The important thing about a hobby like this is that the product sounds great, looks great and has a great warranty not a few mos. difference in the time it was built.  So the answer quite literally is yes they can't answer them all and they have a direct relationship with a dealer and the ordering process takes place without the customer being involved in that process.  The customer can of course talk to the dealer where he (or she) had direct contact with.  It's great that a co. offers this good a warranty and a VP takes time to answer I questions (and nagging for stuff faster).  It's silly to make them answer for things they either have no control over or at worst are a matter between them and their dealer.  Perhaps the dealer even had financial trouble and had to juggle payments around to meet rent and other expenses.  Any communication is probably more appropriate between the parties vs. in a public forum.  Do you want your credit report info published here?  I don't want mine.

mclsound

« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2007, 03:56 am »
AS I SAID if he got a deal then enjoy BUT u have to stop comparing a amp to a fridge,this is about a mans toy (or woman) not a necessity that we all have in our kitchen.i believe i have made my point,u buy from a big co.  take it or leave it!

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2007, 06:28 am »
I have no idea what your point is.  Do you buy non-necessities based on manuf. date for current models (it's perfectly OK with me what you do with your money or what you deem important)?  How is a $3.5k refridge a necessity?  I could buy one the same size for $700.  Same is true of the amp.  You could buy an all in one system and get sound or buy a basic refridge for keeping stuff cold.  You buy nice things for quality and pride and looks over and above a necessity.  The manuf. does not control getting the amp to the customer and a manuf. date on a current model (e.g. not a leftover with a new model out or one where a new model is coming out shortly) does not impact anything.  Your point seems to be that an earlier manuf. date of the same model that has no add'l updates automatically has a tarnished value and w/o facts on the circumstances (which is only the business of the parties involved) is somehow automatically the problem of the manuf. when the manuf. has no direct relationship to selling to the customer and the manuf. has somehow dropped the ball by your stds. by not giving a public response.  I'm not sure what the size of the co. has to do with quality either or treatment.  Harman Int'l is a big publicly traded co. (that was recently annouced being sold to a group if investors) that has eliminated brands (e.g. Proceed, Citation) and left customers in less than ideal circumstances.  I'm not picking on them but customers with things in for service (e.g. even Levinson stuff) had a co. (Madrigal) literally shut down overnight with stuff moved around and stuff lost and customers being w/o their equipment for many mos.  There are cos. of all sizes that give good and bad service and that does not mean that service is good or bad in every situation or is constant every moment in time.  Everything ever made can break, it is how those things are handled that separates quality cos., not the size.

Hoiman

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2007, 06:57 am »
I didn't know that my question could course a reaction like this.

But the reason why I asked this question is that I had to wait for my amp, so I thought it's still had to be build by Bryston, just as I have to wait for my SP2.

Also the box where the 4B-SST was in, was heavily damaged. So I think that the one I got is a demo model, and for US $5670.= (CA $6182.=), that is what the 4B-SST cost overhere, I expect a new model.

So I hope there is a manner to find out what happend with this model.

Sasha

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2007, 02:37 pm »
Box damage is not an indication of the equipment being used or being demo model.
If I were to go by the shape of the box for the equipment I received, regardless of manufacturer, sometimes I would conclude the equipment arrived from a demo in Iraq.
Better ask your parcel company.
I fail to see a connection between box shape / report date and question whether the equipment is new or not. Focus on the equipment itself, it can be easily seen if it is new or demo based on its overall shape, connectors, and cleanness.
And if in doubt, check with your dealer.

bacmsl

« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2007, 02:45 pm »
Why not e-mail Bryston with the serial number and see if they can shed some light on your amp and build date. Maybe your amp was a demo, ask your dealer.

BM

niels

« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2007, 03:32 pm »
Exactly, ask the dealer, if the unit is a demo, or used you are entitled to a serious discount....
I have seen stuff in a high end audio store here that is brand new but might get sold with heavy discounts because they have been stored so long new models are under way.....some things sell better than others in certain areas....

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2007, 04:33 pm »
Hi Hoiman,

Please give me the serial number of your 4B and I will see when it left the factory.

Usually we build to order (we keep a few around for emergencies) so by the time it gets shipped and distributed to the OVERSEAS dealers 2-3 months is not uncommon. Then of course the overseas distributor or dealer may have it in stock for a period of time.  Eight months seems a little longer than normal but check with the dealer and see when he received the amplifier.

As someone stated earlier there really is no difference in the performance of an older to a new version of the 4B as long as it is an SST version.

james

mclsound

« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2007, 05:42 pm »
$6000can ,i cant believe u guys,lots of money for a 4bsst,well looks like JT caught wind and responded to your $6000 question,unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

niels

« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2007, 11:47 pm »
Thats what it costs in Europe, want it or not ?
B100 is 5500 US.....witout the DAC.....and besides, my wife knows !

Hoiman

« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2007, 05:49 am »
$6000can ,i cant believe u guys,lots of money for a 4bsst,well looks like JT caught wind and responded to your $6000 question,unreal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it's lot of money, I also thought to go to Canada and import one my self, but then I have a problem with the 120 V, because overhere it's 220V.