Sony PS1 as high-end digital source: hype or....hype?

acresm22

I've been reading on six moons about the original PS1 model supposedly sounding very good as a CD player. So I scouted a few local pawn shops and did some more internet research. Not being a gamer, I'd never laid eyes on a PS1 before, so imagine my surprise when I held one in my hands for the first time. No display, lightweight plastic case, no controls on the case itself other than power and open/close, and a "remote" that is, uh, less than intuitive for someone unschooled in gaming. Add to that a reputation for failing (at least this is the word online from avid gamers regarding the most sought-after model, the SCHP-1001).

So I don't really get it. I would assume this thing uses the most basic, off-the-shelf DAC that sony had in the mid-90s, and I don't recall anyone clamoring to buy entry-level Sony CD players from that era, nor do I see anyone recommending that now. And then there's the recommendation that you let this this burn in for several hours before giving a serious listen. Aren't these decade-old decks well broken in by now?

I ask all these questions without having actually listened to one. So please, if anyone is using one and thinks its the best thing since sliced bread, explain this to me.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Sony PS1 as high-end digital source: hype or....hype?
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2007, 12:02 am »
The MSNBC story back in 2006.....Link....
I've not heard one, but I remember reading that the machine gets hot.... :?

eric the red

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2007, 12:09 am »
I have one sitting in a a closet and will gladly send it on an AC audition tour for the price of shipping :D

Thelonious Monk

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2007, 12:11 am »
OH GOD NO

just no. that 6moons article made me want to puke. bullshit. i own the model with rca outputs, it is godawful. stay away. no. bad audiophile. bad. don't listen to the internet, use your sense, it's crap, trust me, never speak of this again.

eric the red

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2007, 12:15 am »
I'm with TM on this genuine audio piece of crap. ... I'm suprised no one has offered mods on it... :roll:

navi

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2007, 12:28 am »
I'm with TM on this genuine audio piece of crap. ... I'm suprised no one has offered mods on it... :roll:

Here is the site for ps1 mods

http://dogbreath.de/PS1/index.html

Ivan

Se7en

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2007, 02:29 am »
They are unreliable, overheating garbage! The only advantage that I would see that they have over a basic transport is that similar to a PC CD Rom they cache they data which is better for jitter reduction, but the audio section of that device makes the common Radio Shack player look like a Theta.

shep

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2007, 08:01 am »
the continuation of the "dogbreath" site/link above is on diyAudio forum. I wouldn't be so dismissive though. Years ago a friend of mine used to do mods on portable cd players.  I had one and the sound was excellent and it was no way as extensively modded.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2007, 02:45 am »
Take a look at this article on 6moons Road Tour....half way down the page.....spot the PlayStations... :roll:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/roadtour11/roadtour11.html

rhing

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2007, 06:03 pm »
I have a PS1 Model SCPH-5501 connected to my system and it has been giving my Onix XCD-88 CD player (virtually identical to the Music Hall CD-25.1) a good run. To my ears, the sound is more balanced across the frequency spectrum, imaging and soundstaging is improved and I can hear details that are less prominent on the Onix player. In all, I am very pleased with the results and I agree with Jeff Day's observations from Six Moons. The SCPH-5501 is a slightly improved version of Model SCPH-1001 in that the laser assembly was repositioned away from the power supply. Also, the SMPS in Model SCPH-5501 was changed to a unit that generates less heat. Lastly, the laser had been designed to autobias itself to avoid issues with skips and drop-outs experienced with Model SCPH-1001. Model SCPH-5501 does not have RCA audio output jacks, but it does have a lesser quality A/V multiport jack. Sony's multiport cable includes a breakout to two leads with RCA connectors for analog stereo audio and another RCA connector lead for composite video. This output arrangement does not include OP amps in the signal path that could potentially degrade clarity. I think Model SCPH-1001 can be a good CD player, but I like Model SCPH-5501 as it represents an overall physically improved design while using the same AK4309AVM DAC and audio signal topology.

As others have reported, the PS1 does sound better after leaving it on for some time. The difference from a cold start-up to being on for some time is clearly audible. I am certain that skeptics abound regarding burn-in, but I trust my ears more than others' opinions, and the sound from a Playstation can definitely compete with good CD players. Is it equal to $6,000 CD players? I doubt it, but it is very musical and it has earned a place in my system. I was a bit skeptical about the PS1 hype myself, but Jeff Day of Six Moons is a reputable audiophile writer and his observations of equipment he has covered has been "spot on." Before dismissing, try it out and give it a fair chance. There will be many who will not like the sound regardless, and that's fine. Your trashing of the PS1 will keep prices low for those of us who appreciate its merits.