VLA in its Natural Habitat

John Casler

VLA in its Natural Habitat
« on: 18 May 2007, 03:42 am »
Here is the first known photo of the often talked about but never seen VMPS VLA in it's natural habitat.

Notice some of the smaller siblings frolicking in the background.

We have reports, that several of these BASS Beasts never before seen (or heard) by Western man, have been captured, secured, and at this very moment, are steaming across the deep dark Pacific, toward a date with destiny in El Sobrante, USA.

Please forgive the amateur photos, but the trek to secure these specimens has been long and arduous.

Behold:

VLA

PLMONROE

Re: VLA in its Natural Habitat
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2007, 12:51 pm »
Perhaps some redish mutation of BigFoot long rumored to exist in remote and vitually unaccesable parts of Asia?  :scratch:

DFaulds

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2007, 12:58 pm »
Hmmmm, is that an Arnie Nudell Genesis speaker lurking back there as well?

Jampot

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2007, 12:59 pm »
It's feet look quite small relative to its height....

Like to see 'wolfny get an elbow up on top of that :green:

(of course it could be trick of the camera but somehow I don't think so)

Quite something

Jim

Housteau

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2007, 01:28 pm »
It looks absolutely huge in that photo.  I wonder if it is even possible to domesticate a beast such as this, and would only a special kind of fool try? 

Well, I guess I have been called worse. :lol:

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2007, 01:56 pm »
They are most often seen in pairs, but occasionally you may catch one by itself, and they "reproduce" like crazy :lol:

In fact it is pretty much all they do. :o

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2007, 07:16 pm »
This Behemouth is also "ambi-acoustic" in that it is easily produced in "mirror imaged, matched pairs.

The photo below shows that the the "side firing" woofer can be installed on either side.

Housteau

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2007, 08:06 pm »
Is the blanked off side also covered with a circular grill cover for symmetry?

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2007, 09:11 pm »

Big B will have to answer that, but It would seem that would be the ticket.

loki1957

« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2007, 09:19 pm »
If you need any field testers I volunteer

PLMONROE

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2007, 10:49 pm »
This Behemouth is also "ambi-acoustic" in that it is easily produced in "mirror imaged, matched pairs.

The photo below shows that the the "side firing" woofer can be installed on either side.

Since there is an opening for 15 inch speakers on both sides, what would be the effect of installing two? Would it be an improvement, a detriment, or have little to no effect?  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2007, 04:34 pm »
One can only assume that our Sonic Sorcerer, has considered that.

My best assumption (not being a speaker designer) is that the two opposite and antagonistic pressurizations would cancel each other. (I assume you are talking about adding another 15" passive radiator which would react in phase with the other)

PLMONROE

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2007, 11:23 pm »
Beats me. It doesn't make any sense to cut a big hole in something unless it serves some useful purpose. Perhaps it was the unintended work of Chinese termites. If so they sure must be big suckers! :wink:

Paul

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2007, 11:36 pm »
Beats me. It doesn't make any sense to cut a big hole in something unless it serves some useful purpose. Perhaps it was the unintended work of Chinese termites. If so they sure must be big suckers! :wink:

Paul

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It allows Brian to put the PR on either side, so he can offer "matched" pairs.

Some will get just a single VLA, and it won't matter which side the PR is on.

Those who get a "pair" will want to have them "mirror imaged", so they can fire them in or out.

BobRex

« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2007, 12:58 pm »
Ummm, isn't the PR on the bottom?  Or does the system use multiple PRs?

PLMONROE

« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2007, 01:21 pm »
Ummm, isn't the PR on the bottom? 

That is what I had assumed. Conversely Brian may have another trick up his sleeve which is still a secret.

Paul

John Casler

« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2007, 02:11 pm »

VLA

Bass option II comes in a new 6ft tall powered woofer column we call the VLA (or Very Large Array) with four active 12" megawoofers, and one 12" Passive Radiator.  It also has one side-firing 15" Passive Radiator.  It is very heavy, over 300 lbs, is standard with 1000w amp/crossover, and is priced at $4960ea.  Use one or two.

PLMONROE

« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2007, 09:54 pm »

VLA

Bass option II comes in a new 6ft tall powered woofer column we call the VLA (or Very Large Array) with four active 12" megawoofers, and one 12" Passive Radiator.  It also has one side-firing 15" Passive Radiator.  It is very heavy, over 300 lbs, is standard with 1000w amp/crossover, and is priced at $4960ea.  Use one or two.

"Use one or two" as prescribed by Dr B? Do we have the usual caveat that they may be addictive and side effects may well include disorientation, euphoria. loss of sense of time and place, etc???  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Paul

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2007, 10:06 pm »
The two side 15" and the one bottom 12" are all passive.  Basically you need approximately the same surface area of PR to vent the four active 12", but this varies depending on moving mass of both the actives and the passives. 

The VLA will end up with at least one 12" and one 15" PR.  Or it might have two 15" PR and no 12" PR.  Or it might have all three PR's, two 15" and one 12".

We shall see.

B

John Casler

« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2007, 11:02 pm »
The two side 15" and the one bottom 12" are all passive.  Basically you need approximately the same surface area of PR to vent the four active 12", but this varies depending on moving mass of both the actives and the passives. 

The VLA will end up with at least one 12" and one 15" PR.  Or it might have two 15" PR and no 12" PR.  Or it might have all three PR's, two 15" and one 12".

We shall see.

B

The plot thickens..... 8)