Diana Krall - Live in Paris

John Casler

« on: 9 Aug 2003, 12:38 am »
I recently assembled a group of cuts that I use for reference cuts for auditioning my equipment and new equipment.

In doing so, I use a couple "live" cuts and one of then is a cut from Diana Krall, Live In Paris. called "A Case of You".

4:00 minutes into the cut there is a piano solo.  I have listened to my copies, listened on 3 cd players and all of them sound very strange when this solo plays.

It runs till about 4:40 and it could just be that the pianist is so good that he jumps in and out of beat, but it almost sounds like there could be a little engineering sychronization anaomalie, and I am wondering if it is on every CD or maybe I got a bad pressing. :x

It is a great cut and this might just be a very talented "keyboardist" getting a little more jazzy than normal (probably is) but if you have that cut and don't mine spinning it up, give a listen to that section and tell me if your copy is a little "jazzy" or just f****d up (fowled up).

Do notice however that this is one of Kralls, most gutteral, yet smooth and relaxed performances on this CD and she shows a womanly and little girlish side which makes it all the more sexy and alluring.

How did Elvis Costello do it?  :evil:   Must be the millions :mrgreen:

Also as long as your listening, here's something else.  

In the begining just before Diana begins singing a female patron (well imbibed probably) takes too large a drag on her fag (cigarette on the Continent) and begins coughing.  She is at the table on the other side of the stage from you and you hear her *center stage right* "between" :!:  the pianist *stage right* and Krall  *center stage*.  

Get that gal a drink of water :roll:

markrohr

« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2003, 02:51 pm »
Hi John,

That's Krall playing the piano, not a "he."

Since it's piano and voice and no band, she can take liberties with the tempo and the rhythm, and she does. No band to get out of sync with.

regards,

Mark

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2003, 04:16 am »
Thanks Mark,

I haven't seen the video so I didn't know that she played.  It sure sounds like my CD is warped.

That also throws off the soundstage since she sings dead center and the piano is stage right :evil:

I might have to get the DVD to get it straight.

Thanks again.