VLA on the water May 19!

Housteau

Re: VLA on the water May 19!
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jul 2007, 06:41 pm »

One would think the internet and fax machines would speed that up, but apparently not.

Air mail???

Exactly!  That is what makes this hard to understand and accept.  Initial problems here and there, sure, things happen, especially when dealing with an overseas manufacturer.  I get that.  However, this is an era of instant communication, so getting the paperwork where it needed to be should not have been either a concern, or the main issue.  Even if electronic transmission was not acceptable in this case, it should not take 10+ days to get the paperwork there. 

Is it now a homeland security mess since the paperwork was screwed up and now the shipment is suspect?  Since this was a mistake made on the other end, what exactly have they been doing to correct this?  I would like to think that some hoops are being jumped through by them.  If the simple paperwork really is and continues to be the only reason for this massive delay, then I don't see a legitimate excuse for this at all.

What does MLS say?
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2007, 06:53 pm by Housteau »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #21 on: 10 Jul 2007, 07:15 pm »
There will be LF reinforcement related to room volume and dimensions...

Per Audio Magazine's article maybe 10 years ago, the average domestic boundary effect adds 9 dB gain @ 20 Hz relative to...I believe 100 Hz.  If the goal is to produce a valley around 70 Hz in-room to counter the 8' ceiling bump at that frequency, then a seaed enclosure w/ a first-order 12 dB cutoff would most likely require a circa 85-90 Hz anechoic f3, which should cutoff just above the 70 Hz bump.  Then the sub would be x'd around 60-65 Hz for flatter in-room performance.

Interesting that ceilings like mine, circa 7.5' in height, would apparently require an even higher anechoic cutoff, estimated around 90-100 Hz, to flatten an estimated 80 Hz ceiling bump.  In the past I've replicated the function of an active high-pass 1st-order xo by inserting small value speaker xo caps at the input of the high-range amp.

Kevin
How is your response now between 20-100 Hz?  Does your room have a ceiling bounce, or no? 

« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2007, 12:07 pm by RibbonSpeakers.net »

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 10 Jul 2007, 10:11 pm »
Word today is--still waiting.

While I am most unhappy at the continued delay there's little to do but wait.  I will post as soon as the cabinets are out for delivery.

Housteau

« Reply #23 on: 10 Jul 2007, 10:59 pm »
I will post as soon as the cabinets are out for delivery.

Thank you Brian.

I assume you mean delivery to your shop?  My window to receive anything this month has closed, and right now I am not sure about what will work in August.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #24 on: 11 Jul 2007, 12:37 am »
Once the cabinets are out of customs it takes 2 days for delivery to the shop.  I will post their arrival.

PLMONROE

« Reply #25 on: 11 Jul 2007, 06:38 pm »
Customs fearful that illegal aliens are trying to sneak into our country hidden in speaker cabinets?  :nono:

Paul

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 11 Jul 2007, 07:43 pm »
Easily fit several terrorists into the VLA enclosure.

Did anyone see those British comics pull this stunt: They purchased two plane tickets under the names (something like) Al Ki-eda & Steve Terra-Wrist (pronounce the names out loud to get the joke...)  Then they went to the airport & picked up their respective boarding passes.  But they did not not board the plane, so of course the airline employee announced the two above names several times on the PA system (non-audiophile rated) to alert the two boobs their plane was about to depart. 

Proof that security is lax: No security alerts after the names were announced several times on the PA system...They had it on camera & audio tape, quite funny, especially w/ the British accent on the PA & all...

PLMONROE

« Reply #27 on: 12 Jul 2007, 12:17 pm »
All my fault guys -- must have hexed things -- should never have earlier referred to them as Very Late Arrivals!  :cry:

Paul

Brian Cheney

« Reply #28 on: 12 Jul 2007, 03:50 pm »
VLA's are out of customs and due for delivery to our shop tomorrow.

John Casler

« Reply #29 on: 12 Jul 2007, 04:07 pm »
VLA's are out of customs and due for delivery to our shop tomorrow.

:thankyou: :guitar: :drums: :dance: :banana piano:

:beer:

Brian Cheney

« Reply #30 on: 12 Jul 2007, 04:38 pm »
You don't have to rub it in.

John Casler

« Reply #31 on: 12 Jul 2007, 04:50 pm »
You don't have to rub it in.

Actually all thing considered, the original "guess" was June 23rd "or so" depending on "security level" so the paperwork snafu cost a little over 2 weeks of Bass Bliss aa

B, you have to keep us updated on the sound. :drool:

Housteau

« Reply #32 on: 12 Jul 2007, 06:39 pm »
B, you have to keep us updated on the sound. :drool:

Yes, please do.  I am wondering how the passive radiator configuration will end up.  My guess is for twin 15" drivers minus the 12 incher.  There is no real reason for me thinking that right now.  It is just a guess.  I am also wondering how the VLAs will stack up next to the older flagship Supertower series of bass presentation.  Will one have more of a subjective, and/or measureable impact than the other?  However, there is no contest in my mind as to which one will look better.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 12 Jul 2007, 07:22 pm »
Maybe the fact that this sub w/ has more potential passive area to active driver area, may provide more power in the first octave than any prior VMPS sub.  Will be interesting to see.

Funny that years ago there was considerable disagreement in this forum over what constituted an adequate ratio of passive to active area.