Ping: Dmason; Supravox

JoshK

Ping: Dmason; Supravox
« on: 16 May 2007, 12:09 am »
Yo Dr. Mason,

Do you have your supravoxs yet?  I recently inquired about them, softening my objectivism somewhat. $1340/ea!!! Holy smurf batman!  Those better be giving out handjobs for that price.   

Seriously, though, I am wondering if these are the best thing since sliced bread, or just some expensive and nice drivers.

raov1

Re: Ping: Dmason; Supravox
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2007, 02:32 am »
I've heard the supravoxes and consider them to be excellent drivers. As field coils they stand up and above most other drivers. These characterise themselves by providing more information, dynamism and realism in a very non-fatiguing fashion. You get more that what you pay for.
Hope it helps
Cheers
« Last Edit: 16 May 2007, 03:10 am by raov1 »

Dmason

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2007, 04:28 am »
I held off on the 215Exc field coil drivers when I read of two people who excitedly opened their new toys only to discover that the baskets and motors had been separated at the neck, during their journey. Not good. Since then I have learned that at that time, they had been using some NASA super glue which worked well as long as impact wasnt applied by Fedex gravity generators... :evil: however, they have gone back to good old nutzandbolts, and in the next while, -Richard- and myself will be meeting at the midpoint between Pacific Beach, and Ojai, which is Newport, to meet up with the US distributor, to audition the 215Exc, 165Exc, and 215 Signature bicones. We both may very well be coming away with pairs of something. I also have ultimate faith in the ceramic magnet 215 which are about 25% the price, and no one has ever complained about their sound either.

Not many audiophools sneeze too hard at the idea of a $2600 pair of speakers. I would much rather spend that on the drivers, slap them onto slices of plywood, and enjoy the LUMINOUS, aura enriched sonic signature of field coil drivers, boxless sound, with nice sources, and world class amps. Should be a fun afternoon.

I would imagine we would bring a few amps along for the ride, Red Wine Signature 30, a Korneff 45SE, and a custom built 6EM7 push pull zero feedback triode amp I really like as well. All are fantastic amps, and should do well with these drivers.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2007, 05:19 am by Dmason »

raov1

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2007, 04:57 am »
You guys are in for a treat. Enjoy :thumb:
« Last Edit: 16 May 2007, 05:31 am by raov1 »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2007, 09:28 am »
I agree with DMason regarding speaker/driver cost.  I wonder the opposite (why the majority buy speakers where the drivers/crossover parts only amount to 5 - 20% of the price?).  Of course with OB that ratio gets flipped in order to make deep bass.