Okay, the truth...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Okay, the truth...
« on: 8 Aug 2003, 04:32 am »
How much of a problem is the Mensa's (alledged) propensity to lose lock?  I'm intrigued, but it sounds like a lot of folks have experienced this problem, especially with DVD players.

For the record, can anyone set me straight on this?

pjchappy

lock
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2003, 04:53 am »
My pre-Mensa mod really had no problems w/ lock. . .just the occassional loss. ..

When I got my Mensa, it always lost lock. . .now that it has had a significant amount of break-in, it is back to the way it used to be. . .

p

Jay S

Okay, the truth...
« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2003, 04:59 am »
PJ,

That is an interesting observation about break in!  I did notice some problems with sync/lock when I got my DI/O upgraded to Mensa Plus (a whole lot of parts were changed).  When the newly upgraded DI/O was paired with my Cary, there would be the occasional loss of lock.  It would lose sync more often on a Pioneer 47Ai (universal player), though this was improved when I turned the video circuitry off.  I don't have the 47Ai as it was a friend's (I only had it for about 2 weeks).  But, I now never lose lock on my Cary, and the DI/O is now also totally broken in.  

I should try my well broken in DI/O with my DVD player.

bubba966

Okay, the truth...
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2003, 07:28 am »
Quote from: Jay S
It would lose sync more often on a Pioneer 47Ai

And now that Ai won't sync at all with a DI/O. Nor will it sync with anything now thanks to DHL. :evil:

Anybody need a Pioneer universal paperweight?...

Wayne1

Okay, the truth...
« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2003, 02:02 pm »
The DI/O was designed as an analog to digital convertor for Pro-Audio use. It has it's own clocks to set the sample rate. The D/A section was designed to allow the user to hear what was just recorded.

Many people found that the D/A section of this unit sounded really good.

The mods that I have been doing focused on improving the parts quality of the power supply and the analog output section of the DI/O.

Most DVD players will completely shut off the sync signal when the drawer is opened. This loss of signal will cause the DI/O to lose lock. The power supply has to be unplugged from the DI/O and then plugged back in again after a few seconds. This allows the receiver chip to reset and to resync when the signal is present.

With dedicated CD transports or players, the syncing problem is virtually non-existant. I have very little trouble using a XA-777ES SACD player for a transport when the DI/O is brought over to Jason's

With all that said, I do realize that there are many people who do use combination DVD/CD players who could benefit from using the DI/O to play back Redbook.

I have retained the services of an EXTREMELY competent digital engineer to take a look at the digital circuitry of the ART DI/O. Hopefully this person will be able to come up with a "fix" or mod for the loss of sync problem. If this happens, the BOLDER Cable Company will offer this mod along with all of the other mods we do. We will give full credit to the engineer who solved the problem.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Okay, the truth...
« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2003, 02:27 am »
That would rock, Wayne.  With a product that (reputedly-haven't had the pleasure yet :cry: ) sounds as good as the Mensa, a lot of mfg'rs would just tell people who didn't like it loosing lock to just deal with it:  I like your c/s approach better!

If I was to get one down the road a bit it very well may be fed by my Pioneer Elite universal player.  Unless I replace it with a Denon universal player. :wink:  Of course, all this comes well after I FINALLY get my LeAmp IIs! :x

Please do keep us posted on this one.

witchdoctor

Okay, the truth...
« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2003, 03:35 pm »
Hi,
There are two ways t set the Di/O. Yu can set it to seach fr the signal and lck (bad) or set it for the signal you will send it so it locks autmatically (good). In my case the GW Labs DSP upsamples to 96k, the Di/o is set to accept a 96 signal and no problem. You can als prgram to accept 48k or 44k.