The Eurovision Song Contest.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
The Eurovision Song Contest.
« on: 15 May 2007, 10:40 am »
Is there anyone in the US that know of this one?
Or watch it?

Imperial

Jampot

Re: The Eurovision Song Contest.
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2007, 11:40 am »
Wrong circle (IMHO)

No one in Europe would try to pretend that this is music :rotflmao:

errmmmm, you weren't an entrant were you Imperial :oops:

Jim

shep

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2007, 11:51 am »
Me..well I would being as I'm in europe. Actually this year it wasn't as trite and mindless as usual. The winner was a loser however. Really nice entry from Russia, Ukraine.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2007, 01:06 pm »
I couldn't watch it, but later I saw some of the performances. Well, Serbia won, deservedly (fine print - I'm from SER, but still it was the best song  :D, there is an english version out there but translated lyrics suck). However, the singer was, well....not a typical rep of a beautiful Serbian girl (she does have a Turkish origins, however) aa

Funny thing is that Eastern EU contries voted for each other (most of the time) and shut out "westerners". Obviously they need to reconsider voting system in the future.

Anyway, next year's contest is in Belgrade, SER - we don't know much down there but partying is one thing we do well - expect a spectacle.

shep

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2007, 01:33 pm »
guess I put my foot in it straight off :o Nothing against Serbia winning but I thought there was better material and performances.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2007, 02:18 pm »
Hey, it's just a matter of taste (that's what's nice about music - everybody's right :D), and I am definitely not being objective (though I'm glad that it wasn't sore on the ears like some previous years). But I do expect a great party next year and may plan on visiting at that time.
Boris

Imperial

« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2007, 08:56 pm »
Yeah, not since the 80's have we had such high level of performance in this contest.
There were some loonies on stage this year to... but all in all very much to like!
And Serbia won very deservedly! I liked that song!
And one of my co-workers is from Serbia too,  here in Norway were I live, so Serbia is something we talk about sometimes!

And I also liked Moldova's song "Fight!" Some good metal!
Actually, that song was a texbook example of how to build up a song!
That did impress me!

Ok. This contest is somewhat of a joke here in Europe... but there was a change two years ago with the group WIG-WAM from Norway!!! (YEAH!!! :) ) Lots of good musik suddenly flowed into the competition!
Lets hope next year is even better!

I dont restrict myself to only audiophile music in my system. I play ANYTHING if it's worth my time!
I'm a musiclover foremost and secondly a audiophile, and thirdly a musical performer (real amateur... but still!!!)

Imperial

SunnyDay

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2007, 03:17 am »
ABBA was a EuroVision winner. So was BoneyM...Two out of the last 30 years ain't bad... :)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2007, 06:28 am »
Since I never heard of this contest...I went and found two links....here....and....here....... :thumb:

Imperial

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2007, 08:03 am »
It's like this, if a country gets zero points. That's sort of like loosing a BIG BIG fotball match between countries.
The competition is reserved as daft and silly, but people don't treat it as such...

Take American Idol... it's started to garner recognition now... This eurovision contest has been running for some 40-50 years.. It's still regarded as a spoof! By some! To put it into perspective!  :deadhorse:

It used to be a contest for washed out stars, and people hoping to make a fast career. But sometimes, som years it has been a real show and a real bunch of good songs!
But it is also really popular to put the competition down in the press! Ev-e-r-y-b-o-d-y has to badmouth it...
But when it's on the telly, E-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y is watching, but of course not admitting it...

It's sort of a european standing joke...

"So did you watch it last night?"
"No"
"Me neither..."
"Uhm, but I hear the winner was a great one this year..."
"Well, it' wasn't bad... I'm told  aa .. My friend look'd at it, you know what he's like ...  :jester: "
"Yeah, he's ... well, do you think he recorded it this year to...?"
"He always does... It's been a while, we should give him a visit!"
"We could take my car."
"I'm in, let's go."

This would then be a typical aftermath...  :thumb:

Imperial

robert1325

« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2007, 08:06 am »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO,   I haven't been watching this year  :thumb:

I get depressed  :wink:   I was getting drunk in the bar  :?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: 16 May 2007, 08:09 am »
Thanks Imperial..... :thumb:
I wonder if you've read this....since I see you enjoy American Idol......Link...

Imperial

« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2007, 08:28 am »
Thanx!
Well I guess I'm a sucker for these silly or otherwise competitions...
I have helped a few on some occasions, that has participated... But I haven't entered myself  8)... I
saw someone popping that one up the thread there...
Some have become artists.. Weeeee! But I think the most fun part for me at least is that
you get to be part of a team! It's sharing the fun and stuff!
I have also performed in vocal groups, and sung concerts with choirs so I know what it's like to be performing.
And big event is fun! It is!
I've been part of TV productions, had to do with stage safety issues and so on.
Seen the backstage life... you know, meet the stars! Was fun that too!
I suppose I should say that I've also helped with setting up recording studios... (Does that redeem my rep?  :D )
So these days I watch! Hehe!!! And reminisce!

Imperial

lonewolfny42

« Reply #13 on: 16 May 2007, 08:32 am »
Nothing wrong with watching....but its 2nd. best to being on stage...that where the thrill is....enjoy. :thumb:

Imperial

« Reply #14 on: 16 May 2007, 08:37 am »
Nothing wrong with watching....but its 2nd. best to being on stage...that where the thrill is....enjoy. :thumb:
Yes, I've also on some occasions been on stage myself. (Vocal groups, choir).
But not to the level of some I guess  :rock:  :wink:

Imperial

shep

« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2007, 09:21 am »
I'm not ashamed to watch! It's a seriously big production, often spoiled by the loud-mouth presentators here in France who talk over the music  :slap: This year was more pro. all around. Some of the entries were/are just awful and you have to wonder how in the world they could represent a country! I thought the Russian gals were not only very sexy but put on a great performance. It's exactly as Imperial says, everyone pretends they couldn't care less but some how they just "happened" to watch!

Jampot

« Reply #16 on: 16 May 2007, 11:57 am »
Some of the entries were/are just awful and you have to wonder how in the world they could represent a country!

I was beginning to think I had been premature in my prior post :roll:

Then Shep comes along and makes me feel a whole lot better :P

But I do expect a great party next year

Precisely Audiovista.

Thats why the 'new' countries are making a better fist of it than the 'old' ones. They are enthusiastic and want to fly the flag (pun not intended - I just spotted it in preview). It has become so big (number of entrants) that this year we had semi finals for goodness sake. Now, if some of the finalists were dire, where does that leave the losing semi-finalists not to mention (for instance) the 5 other candidates to represent UK which were short listed by the BBC and then voted on by the British public (bearing in mind that we came 3 rd from last) :duh:

Abba's winning entry Waterloo was perhaps the consummate pop song (at least in 1986 or there abouts when it won) but I don't expect to find it on the Next 'NY Rave' cd. ('Wolfny?)

Heck, It's a stonker of a party- but I still don't think there is much music in there.

Jim

Imperial

« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2008, 07:26 pm »
This year GP was actually quite good! The 53rd consecutive.
Anybody else see it?
I liked the songs from Israel, Croatia, Turkey, Portugal, Sweden, Serbia, that was it -  really.
The show was perfect. It must have been the most organized ever. Everything ran supersmooth!
They had some really great local artist doing the interlude musical acts!!!
And Finland had their 3rd heavy metal act on a row in the competition...

The presenters of the points given by the 43 nations voting (25 featuring as competitors in the competition..) this year had an amazing amount of
really snazzy females among them...  :D I have to say, there were some beauties... oh some beauties indeed!
The one from Russia is the former Miss World, 2002 I think.

And hehe. Greece had Adriana Lima as their singer...  8) you could almost not tell...  :wink:  :o :drool: :D :roll: :thumb: aa

Wut... you don't live in europe you say? No problem... http://www.eurovision.tv/splash/index.html
Here you can watch all 3 shows from this year..  :thumb:

Yeah.. and PMC + Bryston was used for monitoring/recording + mixdown this year, just thought I'd mention it ...  aa :thumb:
The sound was awesome!!!

Imperial
« Last Edit: 25 May 2008, 08:53 pm by Imperial »

Imperial

« Reply #18 on: 7 May 2009, 05:52 pm »
Soon there will be a 2009 eurovision contest.
And this time Norway is one of the favvs!!!
We have a contestant named Alexander Rybak, who is from Belarus actually.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8JRtGMBUz0

Hey hey hey...!!!
http://www.eurovision.tv/page/home
I hope we win it!!!

And this is the first year that Youtube is a partner, obviosly!!
All songs available on youtube!

My personal favv this year: Kejsi Tola, from Albania
Amazing voice!!!

I am a fan of dutch metal and this woman has a voice that almost rivals THE QUEEN: FLOOR JANSEN!!!
Amazing!!! Yeah, I'm an electronica and metal fan, primary... prime it baby!!!

If we go back 10 years Albania was like a 19-18 century closed country!!! Worse than North Korea!!
They have come along way!!!

Eurovision is like 1 million times bigger than any other contest you americans know... It is like the biggest event in europe!!!

Imp.

Imperial

« Reply #19 on: 7 May 2009, 06:08 pm »
This year, Vladimir Putin, the Russian boss stopped one of the songs...
It's THAT big an event!!!

Imp.