Another Cornet2 came to life today

Big Jim

Another Cornet2 came to life today
« on: 14 May 2007, 12:57 am »
 :thumb:

Finally got the last of the parts that I actually ordered on April 16th for my Cornet2. I won't name the company as I don't have a lot of experience getting stuff from them yet but this was less than exemplary service. Eventually they fixed my order so it all worked out in the end. Is there anything worse than waiting and waiting for parts to arrive?

BTW it is a bit of a wedge job to get the board into a Hammond chassis but a little patience and elbow grease will get the job done.

After the last bit of crimping was done I checked the voltages and they were spot on. Hooked it up to my system and it plays beautifully right from jump. No buzz, no hum, just sweet vinyl. Quite frankly, I'm amazed how good it sounds with no break-in. Curious to hear what it sounds like after 48 hours or so.

Just to play it safe I'm using inexpensive Chinese tubes to start and will get some NOS valves in a few weeks' time.

And hey, is the LED supposed to be green or red all the time?  :icon_lol:

Thanks Mr. Hagerman for a wonderful product.

robertwstephens

Re: Another Cornet2 came to life today
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2007, 01:03 am »
Green.  If it is red, you need to flip the LED around.  Unless you like the red!  Peace.  Robert

Big Jim

« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2007, 08:53 pm »
Thanks man. I wanted red and I got red. Green LEDs just don't do it for me for whatever reason.

And man, I love the sound of the Cornet2!

Big Jim

« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2007, 01:02 am »
I went with the Hammond 12x8x3 chassis and 1/2" standoffs. I'd seen people who had used the 1" and the 1/4" and wasn't that pumped about the look for either of them. Really pleased with the look of the 1/2". I'd be curious to see someone using 3/8" standoffs if such things exist.

Still breaking it in and currently listening to T-Rex. Just fantastic sound.

Big Jim

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2007, 06:00 pm »
Man! It has been about two weeks since I began using the Cornet2 and it has burned in nicely. I've been listening to some rock albums from the 70s and I'm just stunned at how good they sound.

For some reason I was worried that my older albums would be difficult to listen to because of scratches and such but it hasn't been a problem. I've been playing a well worn Poco album and I feel like I'm listening to it for the first time.

Fantastic product Mr. Hagerman. I wish I'd gotten it sooner!   :duh:

Playing a CCR album. So good....